main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Apropos of Nothing - ACKBAR IN CAPITALS - The Lit Forum Social Thread, v2.0.15

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Master_Keralys, Jan 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Yeeep. I knew there had to be a way around the hard-coded block on playing the pope -- and there is! You just turn the papacy into a republic (and a number of other little things). They thought they blocked us from playing His Holiness, but really -- we just had to find other ways.

The benefit of this? Not only is the pope playable, but there are legit papal elections now. I'm going to see if I can make all my patricians bishops, too, for added realism.

Oh and please don't post about this on the official Paradox forums. If Paradox gets wind of my method, they'll patch it out like they've patched out other papal loopholes.

2. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    My lips are papal sealed. :p

GrandAdmiralJello likes this.
  3. Rilwen_Shadowflame

Rilwen_Shadowflame Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 27, 2005
    Make 'em bleed, Jello.:p

4. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    Just watched Serenity. Gotta say, given all that I've heard about the film and Joss Whedon, I suspected the blood bath to be significantly greater. Don't get me wrong, though, I'm glad the majority of them got out of there in one piece (CooperTFN actually did me a favor by throwing me off). Oddly enough, the "last stand" scene reminded me of the finale of Mass Effect 2. I was having flashbacks to my "bad" playthrough, where every single one of my crew members died in holding the line :p. For a moment I thought that was where they were going with it. Glad it didn't play out that way.

As for the film itself, I really enjoyed it. A lot of the complaints I've read are valid, but I feel they stem chiefly from the change of medium. Truthfully, it did feel a bit jarring, going from the TV show to comic to the film. The former two are much lighter, much slower in pace, and much more focused on character interaction. Once Serenity gets going, it doesn't let up. I'd be really interested in knowing how those rough events were planned in the actual television series.

One thing I also noted was that Mal came off as much colder in this film than he did in the TV series. Interestingly, according to Mal's wikipedia page, he was originally intended to be that way, but Fox forced Whedon to "lighten Mal up". I can definitely see the difference.

Not perfect, but I'm incredibly glad it's there. A much more poignant conclusion to the series than the season one finale.

5. RC-1991

RC-1991 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 2, 2009
    Might I recommend Cowboy Bebop, instantdeath? It's an anime that is quite similar to Firefly at times, though it predates it.

6. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    Something that I've heard great things about and plan to watch. I've seen a bit of anime, but not much, and haven't seen most of the classics (unless you consider Monster and Death Note modern classics; I love both of them myself.) It seems like the DVD sets are out of print, though. Not really a problem, since I can watch it online, but would like to have them.

One question about Cowboy Bebop. When it comes to anime, I usually prefer the subbed, since I figure the original will always be better suited by virtue of being the original. That said, for Cowboy Bebop, I've seen many people, even self-proclaimed Japanophiles, say the English dub is better. Any opinion on that?

7. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    Cowboy Bebop has without a doubt one of the best dubs out there, so unless you are actually fluent in Japanese go for the Dub. ;)

8. Lugija

Lugija Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2009
    I tested the demo of Crusader Kings II for two hours, and most of that I have just pressed buttons to see what they do. I am a Duchess in Northern Italy, married and with one daughter, have my council doing something and so on. I even tried to raise troops from some of my vassals and attack Genua to see how wars work, but the armies won't go there. Do I have to do something first?

I'm planning to buy the game. The biggest decision-maker was the ability to finally play as a Finnish leader. Even though on year 1060 they probably still wondered if they could eat rocks, and the difficulty level means that they won't rule in Finland for long (historically Sweden conquered the tribes living in Finland 1249). My only strategy-game experience is from Rome and Medieval II Total Wars, and in them most of my attention was in the war part of diplomacy, so I'm pretty noob in number-crushing.

9. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004
    Did you declare war? Have not playing CK II in ages but from what I recall that's what I tended to forget.

10. Lugija

Lugija Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2009
    Oh you have to declare wars? Can't I just walk to their city and burn it, like I do in Total Wars? :p
    Transferring the money to my Paypal account now, hopefully it gets there before the discount ends.

11. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004
    Sadly not [face_plain] you also have to watch out if you keep crushing your neighbors because the other nations will start to get suspicious and gang up on you.

12. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    I love nuking primitive nations in Civilization :p

13. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    Why nuke them? You et more value out of them by sitting battleships offshore and bombarding their cities down to nothing to grind xp.

14. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    My greatest love in Civ IV was sending my one troop out at the beginning of the game and destroying a civilization right at the beginning.

15. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    I have to agree with RC and Gore about Cowboy Bebop. It's got a great blend of sci-fi, western and noir and yeah, you could say it shares some similarities with Firefly. Cowboy Bebop also has a movie, but the movie is not a finale, and in fact takes place between some of the episodes. The movie is basically an episode arc in movie form, and it doesn't feel any more movie-like than the series.

16. AdmiralWesJanson

May 23, 2005
    Cowboy Bebop was my gateway Anime. The movie does feel like the series, though it is a little slower paced, and the budget means the art is somewhat better.
    You forgot the best selling point of Cowboy Bebop though- the music by Yoko Kanno.

17. Rogue_Follower

Rogue_Follower Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2003
    I'll fourth Cowboy Bebop. I'm not usually an anime fan---Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex is probably the only other anime series that I've seen in toto---but I watched Cowboy Bebop for the first time last month and greatly enjoyed it.

Edit: Fifth, then.

18. AdmiralWesJanson

May 23, 2005
    Try Big O. I also love SAC, and while I don't watch most Gundam, 08th MS team is stellar.

19. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    I'd almost say Cowboy Bebop is for people who don't like anime. Or, more aptly, you'll like Cowboy Bebop even if you don't like most or any anime.

And yeah, the music is boss. Nice fusion of jazz, blues and folk, among others.

20. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    I'll agree with that. I don't generally like anime, but Cowboy Bebop sold me.

21. The_Forgotten_Jedi

The_Forgotten_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 12, 2010
    Anybody else a fan of Rooster Teeth? They have an awesome looking animesque series called RWBY on the way, animated by Monty Oum. Story details are scarce, but some of the writers of Red vs. Blue are working on it so I'm positive it will be amazing/hilarious/heartwrenching.

Here are the first two trailers: "Red" and "White". I can't wait for this to come out.

22. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    On the gaming front, I'm playing Phoenix Wright. On the anime front, nothing. On the Rooster Teeth front, nothing. If everyone on here is doing something, I'm probably not doing it.

23. Todd the Jedi

Oct 16, 2008
    Wow, that looks awesome. My friend is a big fan of Rooster Teeth, but I don't think he's mentioned this to me. We'll be seeing them at PAX East in a month, so I bet there will be info on it there.

I do love some of their sketches, as well as Rage Quit, and Red vs. Blue, though I haven't watched any of that in ages.

24. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Lugija -- not only do you have to declare war, but you have to have a casus belli to do so. As the Duchessa di Toscana, you probably didn't have any claims on Genova so you wouldn't have been able to declare war on them.

25. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    You should try breathing. Scientifically proven to be beneficial to your health.

Ris_jSarek and TrakNar like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.