main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Pressure to revolutionize special effects again?

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by KitsterAKABobaFett, Feb 15, 2013.

1. KitsterAKABobaFett

KitsterAKABobaFett Jedi Grand Master star 3

May 31, 2007
    http://www.wired.com/underwire/2013/02/star-wars-fx/

This Wired article brings up an interesting thought. The previous two trilogies revolutionized special effects, so should there be pressure on the new ones to do so as well? They even suggest that a return to practical effects (which a lot of fans, including myself, would like to see), rather than pushing effects even further would betray what the series has been about, in part.

So what do you think? Will it be something Abrams and co. will actively pursue, or does it even matter?

2. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    "Practical" effects is something of a misnomer, I think. "Physical" effects would be better.

But I don't think I really care, as long as it's not full of lens flares.

DarthBreezy likes this.
  3. mes520

mes520 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    Since it has been done twice before, of course there is the pressure to do it again. I do hope they do bring something new to the table with special effects but it's not the top thing on my list, as long as their decent I'm good

4. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    One thing I can see happening is CGI de-aging improving greatly.

5. EviL_eLF

EviL_eLF Force Ghost star 5

Mar 16, 2003
    I think Industrial Light & Magic is constantly revolutionizing SFX with and without Star Wars. Sure, Star Wars is their most famous work, but don't forget the cutting edge they've been on in everything since the OT through and through, from morphing FX in "Willow" to even the PIXAR Imaging system which we all know where that ended up!

6. LawJedi

LawJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2009
    Yeah, but ILM really gets kicked into gear when they have technical innovators like Lucas and Cameron shoving them in new directions.

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  7. DarthKreVass

DarthKreVass Jedi Grand Master star 3

Dec 27, 2008
    I would love a great story, good actors and acting, and the eye candy of special effects would be just icing on the cake for me :)

Grand_Moff_Jawa and yodasbum like this.
  8. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    I want the perfect blend of CGI and other effects.

LunarMoth likes this.
  9. Nubbs

Nubbs Jedi Youngling

Feb 16, 2013
    I just hope they realize this time that just because you can do something with effects doesn't mean you have to. Effects can make some scenes look more believable and other scenes look noticable fake. I wish I could explain it better, but so many scenes in Episodes 1-3 look fake to me. The droid factory scene in AOTC comes to mind. Phantom Menace actually has some better effects (and a better lightsaber dual) than parts of AOTC and ROTS IMO, which is inexcusable. My worst nightmare: at the climax of the newest trilogy we're going to see an hour long twirly lightsaber choreographed dance scene instead of them spending time on the plot, script, editing, characters and other "minor details". I have faith they'll get it right because Disney paid too much money to let this bomb.

TheManFromMortis likes this.
  10. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    Yes.

LawJedi likes this.
  11. DealAlterer

DealAlterer Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 2, 2012
    The genius of the OT was that it looked like it was shot on location. Conversely, the PT looked like it was shot in front of green screen. One looked real to the touch, the other looked like a video game.

I'm not saying CGI is bad, but I believe it can be best utilized as a supplement. I really hope the new films try and strive for that realism again.

12. Placeholder

Placeholder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 30, 2013
    I think with JJ Abrams directing we are going to see his fingerprints on the look of the movie. I would look to his sensibilities as seen in his Star Trek reboot as indicitive of the type of work he does.

I think he prefers location to greenscreen, and does a very good job of blending CGI with practical sets. I think the movie will be in good hands, if he can tone down his obsession with lens flair effects a bit. I'm not to worried about external pressure effecting the way he handles his business. The fact that he's a fan will probably ensure that he's respectful to make it feel like a Star Wars film, too.

The quality of the film is the only thing I really care about. He breathed new life into Star Trek, and he can do the same thing for Star Wars. Fresh minds are good!

Darth Claire and DarthKreVass like this.
  13. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    It’s a bad film, but I thought X-Men 3 did a magnificent job on that front. I, too, can see that technology being utilised. I would also like to see performance-capture pushed to the limit.

14. Placeholder

Jan 30, 2013
    I think I would prefer to see the original characters in their natural age, and in mentoring type roles. I hope they don't go de-aging people.

They could spend some time in the gym, though:)

15. Death T

Death T Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 12, 2012
    I think it will definitely be filmed in Imax 3D, since this is Disney we're talking about and Lucas Films was already doing conversions for the rest of the saga. It will be interesting to see if HFR-48 fps takes off, and if it does then they might do that as well. Not trying to start an "is HFR good or bad" debate here--just speculating. Theaters would still show both formats anyway.

We can expect some big budget special effects, and the 'Real-D' in a space adventure like Star Wars will really try to flesh them out. This one might be worth shelling out a few extra bucks for the glasses if you don't get headaches and hate 3D. As far as the special effects go themselves--I think they will be awesome. They know movie-goers already expect a big show in Star Wars so they'll try even harder to impress us. While the prequel trilogy (barring some poorly CGI'd aliens here and there) still holds up pretty well today, I think they will outdo themselves and demonstrate just how much better 2013 effects really are. Aside from some flashy explosions and light saber battles, aliens, space ships, the environments...everything will look very real. They'll make Lucas want to release Special Editions for the prequels. (they've already sort of done that with Phantom Menace Yoda and a few minor touch ups on the Blu-Rays)

Captain Tom Coughlin likes this.
  16. Placeholder

Jan 30, 2013
    That seems like a pretty accurate assessment to me :)

I'm not personally a big fan of 3D but I would be willing to go for it with Star Wars

17. KilroyMcFadden

KilroyMcFadden Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 31, 2012
    I agree, this will probably be the biggest technological leap.

18. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    Tron: Legacy did a pretty decent job with it, but it was obviously not perfected yet.

19. Darth Claire

Darth Claire Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2012
    They should make it all "first person" where each movie is different for each person *like virtual reality*. So if you're a coward or stupid then you're gunna die in the first ten minutes by a lightsaber to the face. :p

20. KilroyMcFadden

KilroyMcFadden Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 31, 2012
    Tron planted the seed, but in my opinion, the technology really needed to be taken to the next level before it appeared on the big screen.

21. Darth Claire

Dec 21, 2012
    I wouldn't really want to risk a unproven technology on people who will probably just be supporting characters. Just use makeup and nice costume tricks to make the OT cast look better.

22. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    Yeah like I said, it obviously wasn't perfect.

23. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    Digital de-aging was proven technology five years ago. The Curious Case of Benjamin Button won the special effects Oscar. What you are looking at in this picture is not make-up.

[​IMG]

24. Darth Claire

Dec 21, 2012
    The difference is that its MUCH easier to CGI a 40 year old *lets say the wonderfully beautiful and mostly in shape Brad Pitt* younger/older than it is lets say a 60-70 *who looks their age and is not in the best shape* year old to be A LOT younger. Also if you're just gunna CGI them to be a little younger than why bother? If you want to CGI them up then go the full length and make them like CGI young 30-40 *which is NOT a good idea*. Its just not worth it especially when it would make sense for the characters to be the ages they are.