main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends Second To None--Sacrifices : L/M, TK/J, J/J, OCs: COMPLETE: 3/10/2013 with Fan Art

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Jedi_Lover, Nov 30, 2012.

Tags:
  1. SiouxFan

SiouxFan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 6, 2012
    Funny how people really only notice things in hindsight. Reminds me of the way people always say after a suicide: "I didn't really pay attention at the time."

The signs were there, no one was willing to take the time.

What's Mark going to do when he learns the truth about Jacen? My understanding is that you have to 'see' the memories to delete them. Does he tell Tenel Ka? Leia?

2. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    I am glad you liked the mush ginchy, Hazel, Briannakin, Jade_eyes, Demendora, and EmeraldJediFire. It was Valentine's Day and I thought Luke and Mara should have a romantic get together. And yes, @ SiouxFan...hindsight is 20/20.

Okay, now we are coming to the peak of the angst and it should be a little less depressing after this.

The next day the Solo, Skywalker and Tantiss family members sat around the galley dining table eating ration bars and looking troubled and apprehensive.

Mark tossed his food bar down on his plate in a frustrated gesture and gave his family a questioning look. “Do you really think we can pull this off? I mean this is basically a cover up. I know I can keep secrets, but you are all better Jedi than I’ll ever be…,” he looked at all around the table. “Can you stomach living the lie?”

Han spoke up first. “I was a smuggler. Telling truthfully-challenged stories was part of the profession.”

“I was a politician,” Leia simply stated.

Mark looked to his two sons but then skipped over them with a roll of his eyes. “I know you two can stretch the truth.”

“Hey,” Jaden said looking a little insulted.

Mark’s gaze fell on Jaina. “I’ll do anything I can to help my brother, including making up a cover story,” Jaina sighed.

“Same here,” Ben added softly.

Mark finally looked over to Luke and Mara. “He nearly killed you Mara. How are you going to deal with seeing Jacen daily?”

“I was once a spy—that's basically an actor,” Mara pointed out. “I can play my part. It’s Farmboy here that I worry about.”

Luke looked down at the table. He glanced up and gave a tired look. “I won’t say anything to him unless he remembers and asks me specifically.”

“Do you think he will regain his memories?” Jaina asked her uncle.

Luke shrugged. “It’s possible. Mind rubs are usually not permanent. The memories may return eventually.”

Jaina frowned. “Won’t that cause him a lot of confusion and anxiety if it happens?”

“Not necessarily,” Jaden spoke up. “It is very possible that Jacen will eventually accept our story as reality. With reinforcement he will start to ‘remember’ the implanted story and most likely will embellish on the bogus memory, adding more detail as the years go on. If the real memory reappears he’s more apt to disregard the truth in favor of the fabricated story.”

Han looked at Jaden skeptically. “How is that possible?”

Jaden turned to his uncle. “People often believe their memory is like a holo-recording, but it’s not. We remember bits and pieces of an event and often our brains will reconstruct the information into a coherent memory. Unfortunately, during this reconstruction process errors come up due to exposure to misinformation or suggestions from others. When that happens a flawed or false memory is born. Most of us will never know our memories are imperfect unless somebody else points out a discrepancy in a story we’re telling. I wouldn’t be surprised if Jacen starts ‘remembering’ the fictional fight between him and Lumiya on Myrkr. After a few years he’ll probably manufacture enough details that you, yourself, may forget the story isn’t real.”

Jaina raised an eyebrow. “That’s hard to believe.”

Jaden shrugged. “Dozens of studies performed by cognitive psychologists have shown this to be true.”

“Unfortunately,” Luke interrupted. We won’t be able to manufacture five years of memories. He will always know he has missing time. I just hope he doesn’t get it in his head to investigate his past too thoroughly.”

“Do you think he kept a journal?” Ben asked looking to the others at the table.

Talon shook his head. “I doubt it. When he found out that I kept a journal he teased me about it. I guess he thought it was an unmanly pursuit.”

“Unmanly,” Mark said with a snort. “I kept a journal for years and there’s nothing effeminate about it. He probably didn’t like the idea of you keeping a record of all the questionable situations that you and your cousins have gotten into.” He glared at Talon. “Like the Crystal Snake incident.”

“What was that about?” Leia asked.

“Nothing, no need to bring that up again.” Talon said guiltily.

Mark made a dismissive gesture. “Getting back to the subject at hand,” Mark said as he sat back in his chair with a serious look on his face. “I just want to say, I am very hesitant about doing this. I know how to perform the memory rub from Palpatine’s memories but the Emperor wasn’t known for his finesse when utilizing this skill. He really didn’t care if he rubbed out a few years or a decade.” He looked to those around the table. “Do you still want me to do this?”

“I think it is our best option,” Han said as Leia nodded in agreement.

Mark sat silently for a moment. He then broached a subject that bothered him since the talk of a memory rub came up. “If I do this…If I take away a half decade of memories…you have to promise me that we will forget all that he has done to wrong us.” He dragged in a shuttering breath and let it out slowly. “I don’t want somebody to later on decide he should go up on attempted murder charges for me, Mara or Jaden.”

“Why would we do that?” Mara asked.

Mark shrugged his shoulders. “I think it’s unlikely to happen, but my concern is if I rip memories out of his brain and later he is brought up on charges…he will have absolutely no way to defend himself because we stole those memories. If I do this, then everything that’s occurred between Jacen and us in the past couple weeks…never happened. Agreed?” Mark looked to each person searching his or her face for approval.

Mara was the first to respond. “Agreed.” Each person at the table motioned their approval until it was Luke’s turn. He hesitated for a long pause before he answered. “Agreed.”
    Later that day the group slowly filed into the room where Jacen laid in an anesthetic slumber.

Luke looked to Jaden who was overseeing Jacen’s medical condition and then to Mark. “Are you two ready?”

“I’m ready,” Jaden said with a nod.

Mark’s right hand suddenly started trembling as a cold, sick fear tightened in his belly. He was terrified he was going to fail Jacen…and fail his entire family. He took a couple deep breaths before he answered with a confidence he absolutely did not feel. “I’m ready.”

Luke turned to Jaden. “Wake him up.”

Jaden injected a chemical in Jacen’s IV line that would slowly bring him out of sedation.
    Jacen consciousness swam as an incoherent muttering came to his lips. He was drifting in a twilight state—like a boat loose from its moor. In the darkness he could hear his mother’s soft sobs followed by his father whispering something to her. ‘Why is mom crying?’ he wondered as his brain became more and more coherent. His eyes twitched and then slowly opened. He blinked at the bright overhead lights as he gazed at the outline of people around him. Eventually his eyes focused enough for him to make out his mother’s face across from him. She was holding back tears but it was undoubtedly the face of a grief stricken mother.

“What’s happening,” Jacen slurred. His tongue felt numb and swollen making speech difficult. As he looked to the somber faces surrounding his bed he started to remember. He attacked Jaden, Mark and could have easily killed his Aunt Mara. His family thought he was Sith—he came out and admitted it in order to be ousted from the Jedi order. Obviously they took him very seriously and now it appeared they had made a decision on his fate. By the look on his mother’s face, an extremely unpleasant punishment awaited him.

“Are they going to kill me?” He wasn’t afraid for himself as much as alarmed that his mother would be forced to witness his death.

Bleak lines showed on Leia’s face. “No, they’re not,” she sobbed.

Jacen watched his Uncle Mark walk up to him. The large man looked as distressed as Jacen’s mother. His face was etched with the expression of pain and guilt.

“Just be still Jacen, this won’t hurt a bit.” His uncle reached out with hand and placed his palm on Jacen’s temple. For the first time in a long while Jacen felt scared. He wasn’t sure what Mark was about to do because he was in a ysalamiri created Force-void, but Jacen knew this was no longer an obstacle for Jedi Master Mark Tantiss. Whatever was going to happen to Jacen had to do with the Force and the fact that Mark was doing the task and not Luke meant they wanted to keep Jacen Force-blind and helpless to resist.

Jacen jerked his head trying to prevent his uncle from touching him, but Mark reached out with his free hand and grabbed Jacen by his jaw immobilizing him. “What are you doing?” Jacen yelled his voice edged with panic.

“Just making you forget,” Mark answered.

‘Forget?’ Jacen thought in alarm. “For how long?” He didn’t care about losing his memory of Lumiya or any dark knowledge he acquired. He didn’t want to forget his daughter…or his wife. “Stop, don’t do this.” Jacen pleaded, but he could already feel an odd sensation worm through his brain. He concentrated on remembering Allana and his relationship with Tenel Ka. He tugged at his cuff restraints and tried to pull free from his uncle’s grip, but Mark held firm. ‘I have to remember Allana and Tenel Ka! Remember! Remember!’ He refused to let Mark erase his memories of his family.

Mark leaned down and whispered into Jacen’s ear, “Forget.”

The squirmy sensation in his mind grew stronger and then things got foggier, indistinct and confusing. Jacen briefly wondered if his cousin Jaden has started the sedative IV again. He turned and glanced at his mother and father, then to Luke. He looked back to Mark who was holding his head still within his firm grasp. Jacen looked up to him with confused eyes. “What’s going on? Where am I?”
    Mark let go of Jacen and then stepped back wide-eyed. He ran a hand down his face, looking nauseous. “I think I’m going to be sick,” he said before he rushed from the room and down into the direction of the ‘fresher.

Luke poked his head out the door and watched his clone rush down the hall. He turned back to Jaden. “Keep an eye on him.”

“Will do,” the Jedi healer said.

Luke quickly moved down the hall in the direction that Mark had ran. When he neared the ‘fresher he could water running. He popped open the door and found Mark leaning over the sink, splashing water on his face and looking miserable. “What happened Mark?”

The man looked up and opened his mouth to talk but then just shook his head and went back to splashing water on his face. After a moment he finally took a couple of deep breaths and composed himself. “Nothing. It was just a very uncomfortable sensation. I started to feel faint.” Mark then averted his eyes and looked at anything but Luke.

“I don’t need the Force to tell you are hiding something from me Mark.”

He hesitated to answer and looked very much like a man trying to decide what he was going to say. “Luke, I saw things in Jacen’s mind during the rub. We were wrong about him. He wasn’t Sith. Jacen teamed up with Lumiya for the same reason your father went to the darkside.”

Luke looked at him confused. “You said Palpatine tricked Anakin to turning to the darkside to protect his wife and child…or I guess I should say children.”

“That’s right,” Mark said.

“Jacen doesn’t have a wife and child,” the Jedi Grand Master pointed out.

Mark moved away from the sink and sat down on the floor, leaning heavily against the ‘fresher wall. Unshed tears glistened in his eyes and Luke could see a nervous trembling in Mark’s hand. “Luke I didn’t see what was in his mind until the process was almost over.” He shook his head sadly. “He does have a wife and child. He couldn’t tell anybody because of their safety.” Mark buried his head in his hands. “I stripped him of his memories of his family.”

Luke shook his head. “What are you talking about Mark? What family?”

The redheaded Jedi looked up at his Master. “Jacen is married to Tenel Ka…Allana is his daughter, and I think I wiped out all his memories for the last five years. He won’t remember her birth…he may not remember her conception.” He looked up to Luke. “What are we going to do? Jacen didn’t tell anybody to protect his wife and daughter. If this gets out, they may be in danger.” Mark looked utterly miserable. “I took away the memories of his family…his family. Gods, what have I done?”

3. Hazel

Hazel Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2010
    :( :( Now I'm feeling sorry for Jacen and for Mark. Lets hope this work out for the best after this.

4. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    No, Myrkr gets hit by a meteorite killing everybody...oh wait...that was the profic ending. Don't worry I have a proper fanfic ending. My goal is to have you liking Jacen at the end of the story.

Hazel likes this.
  5. Hazel

Hazel Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2010
    Oh, I like Jacen! I already wrote 2 stories where the main purpose was to keep him from going Sith.

6. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    Hazel maybe it is Ginchy that complained that I am making her like him. ;)

Hazel likes this.
  7. EmeraldJediFire

EmeraldJediFire Jedi Master star 4

Feb 23, 2012
    Believe I mentioned this before..but I really feel bad for Mark

8. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    :( I feel bad for Mark too. I wonder how Tenel Ka will find out.

9. SiouxFan

Mar 6, 2012
    Nor is Jacen likely to remember getting married. Here's the thing, now that the tables are turned 180 degrees; does everyone now keep it a secret from Jacen? For his own good? Isn't that what got us into this mess? People keeping secrets for the good of others.

"You know Jacen, it's a funny story really. You started acting all weird and secretive, and you met this Lumiya lady who was kinda Sithy, so we all just assumed that you were a Sith too...maybe if you'd told us about being married, even though Tenel Ka told you to keep it a secret, maybe we would have believed you....sorry about losing your Allana memories; I'm sure Tenel Ka has some holos of you holding her." --Luke Skywalker

Jacen's going to need a hug after this, I hope Jaina still has some of her twin empathy with her.

10. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Oh, no!!!!! I was hoping they could somehow buffer those, but I guess not. :( :( [face_sigh]

11. Demendora

Demendora Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 9, 2010
    Ooops. Will Luke and Mark tell the rest of the family about it?

12. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    Thanks Demendora, Jade_eyes, SiouxFan, Briannakin, EmeraldJediFire and Hazel for reading and taking the time to comment. I also want to thank Hazel and ginchy for giving me advice on the upcoming chapters. I really appreciate it!

Jacen watched as his Uncle Mark abruptly left the room, quickly followed by his Uncle Luke. He went to sit up but realized his hand was cuffed to the bedrail. He looked at the shackle in confusion. “Why am I cuffed?” His gaze moved to his family members who were standing around his bed with grief stricken faces and looking like they just attended a funeral wake.

“Why am I shackled?” Jacen repeated. His family members all exchanged glances before Jaden spoke up.

“Sorry about that Jacen. You were thrashing about a bit and pulling out your IV. Talon, get me the key that’s on the dresser.”

“Sure,” Talon said as he grabbed the key and tossed it to his brother.

Jaden uncuffed Jacen and then removed the IV. “You’ve been under sedation, so take it easy until your body adjusts.”

“Okay.” He sat in an upright position, which immediately caused his vision to swim.

Jaden reached out and steadied him. “You’re going to feel a little lethargic and your thinking might not be clear for a while.”

“Alright,” Jacen said weakly as he gazed around the room. His mother was sitting in a chair next to his bed. Her hair was uncharacteristically disheveled and her tear-streaked face was filled with anxiety. His father stood behind her, his hands resting on her shoulders and not looking much better. There were worry lines around his eyes and he appeared much older than the last time Jacen had seen him. He turned to his sister Jaina and then his cousin Talon—both looked edgy and upset. Despite Jacen’s confused state of mind he realized something very bad had happened and since he was the one lying in bed… their source of anxiety was probably him. He looked around the strange room. He wasn’t in a medical clinic; it looked like a small barracks sleeping chamber. Its duracrete block walls painted in a military olive drab color reminded him of government billets. “Is somebody going to explain to me what’s going on?”

Jacen’s mother leaned forward from her seat and placed her hand on his. “Jacen, you were injured fighting Lumiya.”

Jacen’s brow furrowed. “Lumiya? The Dark Lady of the Sith? I heard stories about her as a boy. I thought she was dead.” Jacen looked at his parents in astonishment. “Are you telling me I got beat up by a senior citizen?”

Leia’s posture stiffened. “She’s about the same age as me,” she pointed out to her son. “And she may be older than you, but she was Sith.”

“Sorry Mom,” Jacen mumbled somewhat incoherently. “Where’s she now?”

“Dead,” his father answered. “You killed her.”

He nodded while trying to remember the fight, but finding it impossible to recall the facts. “So what happened to me?”

“You received a blow to the head,” Jaden explained. “When I talked to you earlier you appeared to be suffering from retrograde amnesia. I put you under sedation to allow you to heal. How do you feel?”

Jacen brought his hand to the right side of his head and felt a slight bump and some soreness. He looked over to Jaden and signaled for him to come closer. He whispered into his ear. “Jaden, why does my groin hurt?”

Jaden blanched. “Umm…I think Lumiya got a kick in before you killed her.”

Jacen nodded. “That’s probably why I killed her.”

Jaden gave a nervous sounding cough. “Yeah, that might be the reason.”

“Wait!” he shouted out. “I can’t feel the Force! Did I lose the ability to touch the Force?”

“No, no, we’re on Myrkr!” Jaden reassured him. “It’s the ysalamiri. Don’t worry.”

Jacen let out a relieved breath. He still didn’t understand why everybody was acting so strange, but then a sudden realization hit him. “You all look older…this amnesia…how pronounced is it?”

“We don’t know son,” Han said softly. “What is the last mission or event you remember?”

Jacen frowned in concentration. “I remember,” he hesitated in thought. “I guess the last big event I remember was Anakin and I going on a Jedi Mission to the Gargon system.”

Jacen’s mother gasped and all in the room glanced each other with a look of shock.

“Okay…I guess from that reaction, a lot of time has passed.” Jacen ventured. “How much?” He looked to his cousins, but Talon and Jaden averted their eyes. Jacen eyed his sister. “Jaina, how long?”

She closed her eyes and sighed. “Almost six years.”

Jacen gazed ahead blankly. “That explains why everybody looks so different.” He turned to Jaden. “I guess you completed medical school then?”

Jaden nodded. “Yes.”

“Good, I thought a pre-med student was treating me.” Jacen rubbed a hand over his eyes. “Jaden, will I regain my memory?”

Jaden shook his head. “We don’t know.”

He nodded sadly. “Six years? What happened in the last six years? That’s a long time to lose.” He gazed at his sister and gave her a faint smile. “You have to help me remember, Jaina.”

His sister’s eyes started to glisten with tears. “I will Jacen, we all will. We’ll tell you what we can.”

“Okay,” Jacen nodded, but then looked up at his sister questioningly. “So, did you ever marry Kyp?”

“What?” Jaina looked alarmed. Jacen noticed his parents looked equally distressed.

“What does that mean?” Han asked his daughter through grinding teeth. “Kyp is almost fifteen years older than you!”

She held up her hands. “Dad, he had a crush on me. We never did anything.” She glared at her brother. “Jacen where did you get the idea that Kyp and I were dating?”

Jacen shrugged as he tried to concentrate on the answer. “Well, the guy did have a holocube shrine to you in his room and all of his skin holos featured women who looked like you.”

“What?!” Jaina and Leia shouted simultaneously.

“Okaaaaay,” Jaden drew out the word as he placed a hand on Jacen’s shoulder pushing him back down to the mattress. “I think we should wait until the sedation medication is totally out of your system before we talk.” Jaden looked up to Jaina and Leia and gave them a discomfited smile. “People coming out of a drug induced unconsciousness often say things they normally would keep to themselves.” He looked at the other people in the room. “I know everybody wants to talk to him, but I think he needs to rest for a while.” When nobody moved Jaden made a shooing motion with his hand. “Just give him an hour or so. Please.”

Reluctantly Jacen’s family left the room leaving Jaden sitting next to him.

“I think I upset my sister,” Jacen said. He closed his eyes and tried to focus, but he still felt a little loopy.

“Don’t worry about her she’s probably concerned that Kyp rumors will get back to her boyfriend.”

Jacen smiled slightly. “My sister is dating somebody. Is he a Jedi?”

Jaden shook his head. “No, he’s an Imperial.”

“What?” Jacen gave an amused gasped. “I bet my father is thrilled at that.”

“I don’t know,” Jaden said with a smile. “Jag seems like a nice guy.”

“Jag? What kind of name is Jag?”

“It’s actually Jagged Fel…he’s named after Jagged Antilles. Wedge Antilles is his uncle, so the guy can’t be too bad.”

“As long as he makes Jaina happy.” Jacen looked over to his cousin. “Jaden.”

“Yes?”

“Did I marry?” Jacen swallowed a lump in his throat. “Do I have a wife and younglings yet?”

The smile slipped from Jaden’s face. “No.”

Jacen sighed deeply. “Oh.”

Jaden put a hand on his shoulder. “You sound disappointed.”

Jacen closed his eyes realizing if six years had passed since his mission to Gargon then that meant he was thirty-one years old. “I was hoping I would have found someone and settled down by now.”

“Someone like Tenel Ka?” Jaden gave him a knowing smile.

He glanced over to his cousin. “Why would you say that?”

Jaden scoffed. “You only had the biggest crush on her for like…forever.”

Jacen looked back up at the ceiling. “Was I that obvious?”

“I think the only person who appeared oblivious to the fact was Tenel Ka herself.”

“Unfortunately, I think you’re right.” Jacen nodded sadly. “Is she married?”

“No, but she obviously was seeing someone…she has a daughter.”

Jacen’s head snapped to the left to face his cousin. “A daughter?” His voice started to waver. He took a deep breath and closed his eyes. “I guess she moved on.”

“Hey,” Jaden said softly. “Don’t give up on her. I’ve never once heard her talk about the father or seen the man. I don’t think he’s in the picture. She’s probably available…if you can finally build up the courage to ask her out that is…and if you don’t mind a ready-made family.”

“I would take her in any capacity,” Jacen sighed sadly.

Jaden gave Jacen’s shoulder a squeeze. “You’ll find somebody.”

Jacen gave him a weak smile. “How about you? I don’t see a ring on your finger.”

Jaden looked over to the door and leaned in to whisper to Jacen. “Don’t tell anybody, but I have been dating somebody for a while…but, it’s a secret, so don’t be offended that I don’t tell you her name.”

Jacen frowned. “Secret relationships are never good.”

“Why do you say that?”

He shook his head. “I don’t know, but for some reason I think that.” He looked over to Jaden. “Why is it a secret?”

Jaden laughed. “I don’t think my father would approve of the relationship.”

Jacen cocked an eyebrow up. “Is she of a species not reproductively compatible with humans?”

“It has nothing to do with reproduction.” Jaden cracked up laughing. “No, her dad is not socially compatible with my father.”

“Oh.” Jacen wanted to ask more, but he suddenly thought of his brother. “How about Anakin? Does he and Tahiri have a half dozen children by now?”

“No.” Jaden shook his head. “He has two with one on the way.”

Jacen smiled broadly. “Good…I’m glad my mother has the brood of grandchildren she always wanted.” He exhaled a long breath. “At least somebody is carrying on the Solo line.”
    “He’s married,” Luke muttered as he leaned against the ‘fresher wall. “And Allana is his daughter.”

The blood drained away from Mark’s face. “What do we do?”

Luke closed his eyes tightly. He didn’t like the idea of keeping this information from Leia and Han, but if Jacen didn’t tell them there must be a good reason. “I’ll request a meeting with Tenel Ka. She’s the person who needs to make these decisions.”

Mark gave a slow nod. “What do we tell her?”

Luke knew what he meant. Should they tell her about his association with Lumiya and the attack on Mara, Mark and Jaden? “Personally, I would rather tell her the cover story, but as his wife and mother of his child…she needs know the truth.

“I agree.” He blew out an anxious breath. “She is going to be furious with me…with us.”

Luke was fairly sure that was an understatement. He extended a hand out to Mark. He took it and Luke helped him to his feet. “We’ll worry about that later. Let’s make sure the procedure was successful and then we’ll go back to Coruscant and try to sort things out.” Luke gazed at Mark for a moment, scrutinizing his face. “Is there anything else bothering you?”

Mark didn’t say anything for a long moment. “No,” he said slowly.

“Did you see something else that disturbed you? Mark, we agreed that we would forgive things he done to us. If he did other crimes he needs to face justice. Is there something you saw, something you remember that you need to tell me?”

“No! There’s nothing I need to tell you.” Mark said forcefully. “And it doesn’t matter what I remember, what is important is what Jacen remembers. Leia and Han have their son back. We have our nephew back. He has a second chance. What we need to concentrate on is repairing the damage we caused his family.”

Luke stared at Mark intently before he gave a gesture of defeat. “Okay,” Luke said softly. He was sure Mark was hiding something, but he also knew there was no cajoling a secret out of the man. A twinge of irritation flowed through Luke. The only other Jedi he had this much trouble with was his son Ben. Maybe it was something genetic. “Let’s start damage control. ”

13. Hazel

Hazel Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2010
    And Jacen already managed to pit his foot in his mouth. [face_laugh]

Now I'm wondering what Tenel Ka's reaction will be.

14. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    I can kinda guess Tenel Ka's reaction given her past decisions. Poor Jacen. It's going to be hard to adjust.

15. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    LOL on the Kyp dating Jaina bit & the Jaden/Jacen talk :) Oooh, what TK will say [face_worried] Mark is definitely sitting on a secret :p :rolleyes:

16. Demendora

Demendora Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 9, 2010
    Conversation with Tenel Ka will be...interesting.

By the way, Lumiya asked Mark to tell Luke her last words. And he didn't. Well, I guess, he was quite occupied by other things.

17. SiouxFan

Mar 6, 2012
    "If he did other crimes, he needs to face justice." I find Luke's comment to be a bit scary. Is it possible to send someone to trial when you just removed their memories? "Well your Honor, this is what we learned as we were wiping his mind...." Talk about illegal search and seizure. Mark is right to keep Jacen's hiring of the nano-virus secret; that is a opening a legal can of worms that will NOT go well.

Am I the only person who hopes that Tenel Ka goes all 'Dathomiri witch' on the two of them?

18. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    She may do that, but she didn't help Jacen's mental well being by making him keep his family secret either.

I am having trouble writing the scene between Luke and her because at some point she has to realize she holds some blame when it comes to the duration of the memory rub. Jacen was acting all secretive and emo at home starting about 5 years ago, right when the relationship started, so that is the reason the family thought he started going bad and hanging about the wrong Sith crowd about that time. Plus, Mark told Luke Jacen started training with Lumiya because he wanted to protect his family. So now Tenel Ka knows he went on his years long quest for knowledge to become a more powerful Jedi in order to protect her and then later he trains with a Sith supposedly to help her and Allana. A lot of mistakes were made by a lot of people.

I am just not sure how much blame the Queen Mother of Hapes is willing to take on her shoulders.

Demendora...I did forget to add that part, but I never saw a good time for such a heartfelt apology to be shared. I think Mark may have told him in private or later on when things calmed down. There is a place near the end of the story where it probably would be a good point for Mark to remember and tell Luke. You may see it yet.

19. SiouxFan

Mar 6, 2012
    ^^On this I totally agree. (Waits for JL to wake up from fainting). I mentioned it before, but Tenel Ka owes Jacen a HUGE apology when this all settles out, 'Because I was afraid of Hapes, I forced you to live a lie.' She already knew that he went on his 5-year sabbatical because of her (you mentioned it earlier), now she'll know that she sought out Lumiya to add to his knowledge. Did he really 'train' with a Sith? Is one lesson really training? And do we think that his journey is 'bad'? Leaning is learning.

How would you react if your husband's uncle came to you and said, 'Hey, we dug into your husband's mind and here is what we learned...'? How would Mara react? Mara would go all assassin on him, which is what I think Tenel Ka would do. It's not the 'What', it's the 'How'; combined with the fact that no one thought to ask her if she had noticed anything odd about Jacen. Even not knowing about their marriage, they still knew that the two of them were friends.

How much blame is anyone willing to take on? There is plenty of it to go around.

20. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    I have to reread what I wrote, but I think I was purposely vague on how long he was gone in this fic. It is probably closer to three years. I think I kept saying 'years long journey'. I just don't think that without the Vong war he would have taken off for five years especially after he started knocking boots with Tenel Ka. In the rough draft I have Tenel Ka mentioning that Jacen left because they had an argument about her safety after an assassination attempt. So maybe Jacen left to learn more about the Force to protect her, but they didn't leave on the best of terms...that would explain him being gone so long.

I agree that maybe Jacen's family should have asked her, but how exactly would they explain their questions without telling her what he had done? His family knows they are friends and they knew Jacen had a crush on Tenel Ka as a young man, but after Jacen started a secret relationship with her he probably stopped talking about Tenel Ka. Guys may be different, but if I had a crush on somebody I may talk about him with my friends all the time, but once we hooked up and he tells me the relationship can't be known...if I go along with that...I probably would stop talking about him altogether so I don't screw up and say something I shouldn't (But in real life--I would have dumped him immediately because I would know he was married). If you notice in the first few chapters the family asks how Tenel Ka was and he says, "She's fine." He is purposely vague and seems like he doesn't want to talk about her. So I wouldn't blame his parents if they thought their son's enthusiasm for the woman had waned.

Jade_eyes likes this.
  21. SiouxFan

Mar 6, 2012
    I just kinda 'wagged' the 5-year thing because you didn't really say how long he was gone, but she still knew that it was because of her death threats that he left for...however long it was.

Tenel Ka was his best friend for a long time, even if everyone had thought that they had gone seperate ways. Furthermore, he had just seen her, so I don't think that Luke or Leia asking, 'Hey, did Jacen seem...normal to you?' would be all that out of line. Again, this is a line-of-thought that the lot of them should have had when they first noticed Jacen acting odd, not after they'd detained him on Myrkr. Their failure to ask 'why' has made a bigger mess.

Again, I agree-- I could not have stayed with Tenel Ka if she had treated me that way, regardless of how much I might have loved her; being kept at arm's length for that long would've caused me to leave.

22. ginchy

ginchy Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 25, 2005
    There is going to have to be a lot of damage control. What a mess two people made of the galaxy, but enough about Anakin and Padme. How is Tenel Ka going to take this? And will Jacen ever have the chance to know his daughter?? Excellent writing, girl. There are no easy choices or ways out here.

Jade_eyes likes this.
  23. EmeraldJediFire

EmeraldJediFire Jedi Master star 4

Feb 23, 2012
    *bursts out laughing* Good one, ginchy.

ginchy likes this.
  24. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    Yeah...I don't think anything I can do can mess up the galaxy as much as those two....well, except maybe the Vong War or Barbara Hambly. ;)

ginchy likes this.
  25. SiouxFan

Mar 6, 2012
    No, no...nobody screwed this galaxy up more than Denning. At least Hambly didn't kill anyone off.