main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion who wants Leia to have a fight scene like Yoda?

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by RAZORBLADE, Feb 17, 2013.

1. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Christopher Lee and Ian McDirmid managed to pull it off when they barely did any of the fight scenes aside from really just stand there. and pushing 10 years later, physical replacement of the actors will look even better.

2. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    I'd love it if Leia's Jedi skills were a big deal politically-I could very well see the Senate (or whatever it is the new Republic has) barring her from holding office because of Palpatine.

TheManFromMortis likes this.
  3. RAZORBLADE

RAZORBLADE Jedi Padawan star 1

Feb 13, 2013
    i disagree i do believe that she would have learned the ways of the force from luke, but i imagine she would have been needed more by the new republic to help them set everything up. i believe that after ROTJ she learned the force but also became invollved in the running of the galaxy, but still secretly learning the ways of the force after luke left

Julius Vernon and Joe Antonetti like this.
  4. LawJedi

LawJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2009
    Or it could be a wonderful subversion of expectations, just like with Yoda. And Carrie Fisher is at least as flexible as a puppet.

RAZORBLADE likes this.
  5. Darth Claire

Darth Claire Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2012
    Man this thread is exactly why we're going to go insane in the next couple years because we won't get any answers regarding anything *you can thank JJ*. Between the "What will the OT cast be doing" and the "How much EU is too much/little" we will be as insane as the Nolanites before TDKR release *which was bad*. I just wonder if we're gunna end up being like the Nolanites with 90% of our speculations/interpreations/theories/ect being false

6. Joe

Joe Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 25, 2012
    But there's a difference. Yoda's always been an awesome Jedi master, so we expect him to be able to do stuff like that. Leia is a politician.

7. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I will say, I don't really want to see Leia as a Jedi Master or anything, I do think she'd keep to politics and should be in the lead role as head of state. But the "WHAPA! JEDI SKILLZ, YO!" twist would be great. But don't even hint a single bit towards it at that hand. It'd be a callback to Luke's "My sister has it" line from ROTJ. But as a twist I think would be way way better than having her as a sage Jedi Council member, y'know?

RAZORBLADE likes this.
  8. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    If Leia is a Jedi, and has a fight scene, I would rather it be subtle like the cantina scene with Obi-Wan in ANH. Cool and in control, not jumping around like an epileptic monkey.

9. Darth Claire

Dec 21, 2012
    Yes. Give us like a few secords of orgasmic glory rather than a long drawn out fight.

Pro Scoundrel likes this.
  10. LawJedi

Jan 11, 2009
    Hence... subverting... expectations. ;)

Besides, the last time we saw Leia, she was "feeling" her brother's presence through the Force, and her brother was being told to pass on what he has learned. It's not a stretch for Leia to be a badass Jedi the next time we see her. If anything, it's the only reasonable expectation from a casual viewer.

We haven't seen movie Leia being a politician since the first five minutes of ANH. And even then, it was a front for a Rebel mission.

11. agentkrycek

agentkrycek Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 4, 2012
    Anyone random politician can run the galaxy though. Not everyone is a Skywalker.

That said I always imagined that if Leia returned to politics, it would be many years later after the events of ROTJ. In the early years Mon Mothma would be the one responsible for rebuilding the New Republic while Leia focuses on her Jedi training as Luke's first apprentice, then when Mon Mothma dies/retires Leia takes over the reigns after finishing her Jedi training. At least that scenario makes a lot more sense than how the EU has handled it.

Leia WAS a politician - in the opening 5 minutes of ANH. Before she was branded a traitor, the senate was disbanded and her homeworld destroyed. She was never portrayed as one in the films beyond that.

12. RAZORBLADE

Feb 13, 2013
    really that would be orgasmic?

13. LawJedi

Jan 11, 2009
    It would basically be the most awesome thing since ever.

14. Darth Claire

Dec 21, 2012
    *facepalm* you know what I mean. A brief scene to make fanboys happy but nothing too drawn out.

15. Joe

Dec 25, 2012
    Having Leia transformed from Rebel Leader to Yoda-level combatant wouldn't be subverting expectations. It's be jumping the shark. Heck, I don't see why she'd even become a full-fledged Jedi in the first place. Leia would have helped rebuild the Republic, not wasted her time on Jedi training. Would she have some force ability? Yes. Full Yoda-level powers? No.

EDIT: And Rebel Leader is a political position. Thus, politician.

16. RAZORBLADE

Feb 13, 2013
    hmmm a good point, well maybe she could just chop down a few soilders or something and then we could have a funny moment when han and jacen/jaina look at her and she says something like told you your mom was cool

BigAl6ft6 and Joe Antonetti like this.
  17. LawJedi

Jan 11, 2009
    Why wouldn't she be a Master level Jedi after 45 years? At the end of ROTJ, she's literally the only other Force-Sensitive person we know in the galaxy. Based on the movies, Luke seemed to become a fully fledged Jedi with a three week course in the swamp, and an existential family drama. What, the Leia we know wasn't a multitasker enough to achieve that meager task, but her bonehead pilot brother could?

She's the daughter of the Chosen One. Everything about the movies suggests that Luke has all of the Force potential of his father (which is said to be even more than Master Yoda). Why wouldn't Leia be the same?

Any knucklehead can become a politician. You don't waste a Skywalker on politics.

18. agentkrycek

agentkrycek Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 4, 2012
    Exactly. =D=^:)^

19. Joe

Dec 25, 2012
    Leia from the films was much more concerned with the Rebellion against the Empire and building the New Republic.The task of creating a Republic from scratch would be a tall order. It's not something which can be multitasked - it's a full time job.

I'm not saying she couldn't do it. I'm saying I don't see Leia running around in a swamp while there's a Republic to be built

TreborSabreon likes this.
  20. TheManFromMortis

TheManFromMortis Jedi Master star 3

Nov 19, 2012
    _ _ _ _

To be frank, I'm not really sure that I want to see Leia as a Jedi, closeted or otherwise.

21. LawJedi

Jan 11, 2009
    And I'm saying that Leia is a smart lady. She would understand that there is no New Republic without a Jedi Order. She would understand that her skills at diplomacy and mediation would be key for founding a new Jedi order. She would understand that her unique talents would dovetails perfectly with the deficits in Luke's experience. The Jedi Order is, among other things, a legal and political institution. And Luke is an overgrown, uneducated farmboy/soldier/adventurer who swings a mean lightsaber. The Republic needs Leia where she can do the most good.

22. TheManFromMortis

TheManFromMortis Jedi Master star 3

Nov 19, 2012
    _ _ _ _

That's an interesting point. Who can say whether, during the intervening years, it was revealed that Palpatine was a force-user (Sith), Vader was a former Jedi, Dooku, as was known, was formerly a Jedi but later became a Sith Lord. With all the trouble that trio caused between them, it isn't inconceivable that people will be very suspicious of any force users and will want them kept away from the reins of power at all costs.

23. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    Same.

I always saw Leia as the politician. I'm not saying she couldn't fit into the role of a Jedi, I just don't think she would allot the time to do so. Even during the OT, she is too caught up with the Rebellion to care about much else. That feeling would probably be twofold after the fall of the Empire with a new government to be established from the ground up.

24. Joe

Dec 25, 2012
    There will also be no New Republic if there is no leadership, something which is far more important than the Jedi. While Mon Mothma and co exist, Lea is by far the best person for the job. I think she'd see that's where she's needed and let Luke handle the Jedi.

25. LawJedi

Jan 11, 2009
    Except for that whole half of a movie where she's on sabbatical (for 6 months to a year) casing the compound of an intergalactic gangster, trying to save her boyfriend. ;)