main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion who wants Leia to have a fight scene like Yoda?

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by RAZORBLADE, Feb 17, 2013.

1. agentkrycek

agentkrycek Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 4, 2012
    Who's to say Leia can't be some kind of field agent for the New Republic in its early years? While Mon Mothma works to stabilize the new government from its core, Leia could be off visiting various worlds trying to bring them to the New Republic - almost like what we see Count Dooku do in the Clone Wars series. There's nothing to prevent her from training during these adventures. Once Mon Mothma has retired, Leia could take over her position. By this point her training would've been over a long time ago.

The biggest mistake the EU made was having Leia become Chief of State in her early 30s (and neglected to a supporting role while Luke and Han were still center of attention) then deciding to become a badass Jedi going off on adventures in her 60s (when at this point the next generation should have been taking over). It makes more sense for the two roles to be switched the other way around.

2. LawJedi

LawJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2009
    There's nothing in the movies to suggest that she's a big time dealmaker of the Rebellion. She's sitting around on Home One watching the important decisions be made. And those decisions were made while she was off playing slave girl on Tattooine.

The only rational responsibility that Leia would carry is to the refugees of Alderaan.

3. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000

Given that Luke knows what Palpatine is, it seems incredibly unplausible to me that the Rebellion leadership didn't. Certainly he would have told them.

TheManFromMortis likes this.
  4. TheManFromMortis

TheManFromMortis Jedi Master star 3

Nov 19, 2012
    _ _ _ _

Re-reading my post, it seems like I'm arguing that it wouldn't have been widely known. I wasn't. I was actually making the point that it most likely would have been widely known.

5. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    Oh, I'm not arguing...just pointing out the obvious, I guess. :p

6. mes520

mes520 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    Like Yoda, as in her fight (maybe) isn't seen until the end, and we don't even know she can until she whips out her lightsaber

Yep, I am a 110% for it!

The Bops and agentkrycek like this.
  7. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Yeah but we knew that Yoda was a Jedi Master and all that comes with it. I think a twist that we have no idea that Leia can rock some Jedi bidness would be even better.

8. LawJedi

Jan 11, 2009
    Honestly, I think the Skywalker twins are political damaged goods. Both with heritage from Naboo, just like Palpatine. Both force using galactic leaders, just like Palpatine. Children of that jack-booted thug Vader. Even if the truth didn't get out normally, their enemies would certainly paint that picture. I wouldn't vote for either of them.

stormcloud8, Death T and DarthBoba like this.
  9. Corvax855

Corvax855 Jedi Master star 3

Jan 23, 2011
    No doubt she'll have a Jedi moment, but whether or not it's some epic, Yoda-style duel with her flipping around is the question. I doubt it. As others have pointed out, it will probably be a scene where she gets out of a jam by hacking down a few droids or troopers of some sort (similar to Obi Wan in the cantina), and then the proverbial "whoa" reaction from the kids or other characters.

10. SithLord_1270

SithLord_1270 Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 5, 2008
    That would be intriguing. I have to admit, I like seeing her fight in the books.

11. appleseed

appleseed Chosen One star 5

Dec 5, 2002
    Leia is a fighter, it would be wrong for her to not fight when she needs to. And Episode VI said she would learn the ways of the Force. She will be a Jedi.

agentkrycek likes this.
  12. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Yeah, I actually like this idea and think it's doable.

agentkrycek likes this.
  13. DARTHSHAME

DARTHSHAME Jedi Master star 4

Dec 19, 2003
    I agree she will wield a lightsaber. I think the awesome display of power will be a force move. Such as a massive force push or telekinesis that destroys multiple opponents.

agentkrycek likes this.
  14. Trebor Sabreon

Trebor Sabreon Former Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 15, 2010
    Personally, I think it wise to keep in mind that Jedi do more than fight. There's no reason to think that Leia could not put her training in the Force to political advantage, for example, without the need for ever activating a lightsaber.

15. KilroyMcFadden

KilroyMcFadden Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 31, 2012
    JJ could direct that scene without it becoming the LOL funny drinking game that the Yoda v Dooku fight wound up being.

Darth Claire likes this.
  16. Lord Optimus

Lord Optimus Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 30, 2011
    Would be cool if it was a surprise towards the end like some people have already stated, but I would rather see her use a force push or Jedi mind trick than bust out a lightsaber.

Like maybe she's not a full on Jedi but knows a thing or two about the force.

17. Golden Jedi Knight

Golden Jedi Knight Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 2, 2012
    Why would you need to have read any EU books to believe that Leia could be a Jedi? It's shown in both "The Empire Strikes Back" and "Return of the Jedi" that Leia has Force abilities. It doesn't seem like such a huge leap that over 30 years later Leia would know how to handle a lightsaber.

The Bops and agentkrycek like this.
  18. dolphin

dolphin Chosen One star 5

Nov 5, 1999
    Agreed. The issue isn't the character it's Carrie Fisher. CGI worked wonders for Yoda. I can't see the same for Carrie. Assuming she comes back.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  19. LawJedi

Jan 11, 2009
    The fact that everyone is so scared about whether or not JJ can convincingly present Carrie Fisher in badass lightsaber combat... is exactly why it has to happen.

agentkrycek likes this.
  20. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
  21. LANDO_ROCKS

LANDO_ROCKS Force Ghost star 5

Nov 28, 2002
    WORST. IDEA.EVER

stormcloud8 likes this.
  22. skyhopper_75

skyhopper_75 Jedi Youngling

Jan 28, 2013
    A lightsaber battle yes. Like Yoda...no. Something more along the lines of Qui-gon I think. I don't feel that all the acrobatics suit her or the rumored age of her character.

23. Reveen

Reveen Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 4, 2012
    Unlike Christopher Lee, who was such a great choice for an actor who can both act and pull off physical stunts. Not using a stunt double for the 80 year old man with arthritis was the best idea ever.

Also, Leia has spent her entire life fighting an empire who blew up her planet. Even if she didn't use those facts to drive her election campaigns she would still be heavily associated with them. A galaxy trying to move on from the empire might get sick of the association quickly.

Honestly, I'd trust her to succeed as a Jedi leader moreso than Luke. Because of the, y'know, leadership skills.

LawJedi likes this.
  24. The Bops

The Bops Jedi Master star 2

Oct 30, 2012
    Couple things...

I don't think Leia would use the force to manipulate political affairs. That would be unethical and again a Jedi Code, I believe. Even Padme remarked that democracy doesn't work by someone making people agree.

Leia blasting out a lightsaber at the climax of Episode VII would be incredible if handled correctly. If there was no hint of her "using" the force in such a fashion for the majority of the movie and suddenly she is called into action would leave the audience speechless. This is what I was hoping for from the Yoda scene in AOTC. Back then I was a spoiler guy, and I had very high expectations for that scene, only to be a little disappointed in how it was overdone.

25. Lars_Muul

Lars_Muul Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    Yes, I want Leia to jump around and scream while fighting a caped old man who is approximately 7 times her height.

- You have interfered with our affairs for the last time.
    - You'll find I'm full of surprises!

/LM