main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion John Williams Wants to Score Sequel Trilogy

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Palpatine2016, Feb 17, 2013.

1. Lars_Muul

Lars_Muul Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    I wouldn't say that he thinks that. He just hopes that George is involved.

- Come here, my little friend.
    - Mee tasa cho pasa!

/LM

2. Redfivee

Redfivee Jedi Master star 2

Sep 28, 2008
    Williams is very good friends with Kathleen Kennedy and has known her for decades {she is/was Spielbergs producer}.KK is in the Lucas/Spielberg/Williams family BIGTIME.If Williams wants to do SW HE WILL.J.J.Abrams is not gonna get in the way.

Echo-07 likes this.
  3. Pfluegermeister

Pfluegermeister Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2003
    I seriously doubt Abrams would even want to get in Williams' way. He understands what Williams meant to the saga; they all do. We don't even know that they haven't begun talking already. The thing that's kept this so uncertain is that we here have had no public indication on whether Williams would want to do it or not. Now we have confirmation that Williams anticipates that he will be doing it - indeed, that he expects to be doing it - as long as his health permits it. Okay, major uncertainty resolved; now the discussions, the dealmaking, will be merely a formality.

That said, Williams knows as well as anyone his age, his health, and how long these films take to make, and particularly a trilogy of them. He could indeed be healthy enough to do Episode VII without too much trouble, or even Episode VIII; it might be less of a certainty that he'd be healthy enough to do Episode IX without a little help. Expect him - or them - to be at least considering someone to bring in to back him up and - if necessary - replace him if his health does begin to decline to the point where he can't do it unassisted.

Echo-07 likes this.
  4. JediMara77

JediMara77 Force Ghost star 4

Mar 5, 2004
    Who in their right mind would say "No John Williams, I don't want you to score my new Star Wars movie"?

Echo-07 and Seagoat like this.
  5. Trebor Sabreon

Trebor Sabreon Former Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 15, 2010
    I'm not sure where you "picked that up," but might I suggest setting it back down? ;)

I'm joking, naturally, but Mr. Williams was quoted as saying that he needed to be ready for what he "hope(s) would be continued work with George." As we know that George Lucas is involved to whatever degree he is in the production of the ST, I don't see anything odd about this expectation.

As to Abrams, I don't foresee any issues, but should such a problem arise, I imagine he'll simply be made to understand that certain elements are vital to what makes Star Wars work and as long as it's feasible, these elements should be included in any new production.

Like almost everyone, I'm thrilled at the thought of John Williams at the helm of the ST's all-important musical score. It means that things are as they should be.

Echo-07 likes this.
  6. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    This is great. I do hope he doesn't half-ass it like Hans Zimmer did for his soundtrack for the last POTC movie.

7. Darth Claire

Darth Claire Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2012
    Or in a way that Hobbit film. I hear a LOT of people complain that the composer reused a LOT of themes.

8. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    Yeah I kind of agree. I didn't really notice it until the very ending.

9. Darth Claire

Dec 21, 2012
    Didn't he reuse the Ringwraiths theme in a scene that wouldn't make sense for a Ringwraith theme to be in? Here's hoping Williams creates NEW themes and doesn't just reuse old themes for nostalgia/simplicity sake. Doubt it but who knows.

10. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    Yeah I think he did. I mean I loved The Hobbit and thought it was a blast at the midnight showing don't get me wrong. And one thing the PT bashers should understand is that John Williams never re-used themes obsessively throughout I-III.

11. Darth Claire

Dec 21, 2012
    And in a way its a "No win situation". If he makes completely new themes and doesn't reuse then some fans will complain that he didnt use the classic themes enough. If he doesn't create new themes *or uses the classic themes more* then fans will complain there wasn't ENOUGH new themes. In a way nobody will be completely satisfied with the score...and maybe this new trilogy.

12. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    Which is why these whining fanboys need to live a little.

13. Echo-07

Echo-07 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2012
    And everyone in the world wants you too! This is excellent news!

14. Poo-Do

Poo-Do Jedi Padawan

Nov 6, 2012
    Dear God this is just some of the greatest news of all-time.

Echo-07 likes this.
  15. KED12345

KED12345 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2012
    Well look at how well the Prequels were orchestrated. If there was anything about the prequels that was amazing and ground shattering, it was the music. Williams's is a genius.

16. Darth Claire

Dec 21, 2012
    Yeah the prequel music is freaking epic. These are still some of my favorite SW songs

17. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    I remember the Order 66 bit was very moving when I originally saw it.

18. HankSolo

HankSolo Jedi Master star 3

Dec 3, 2012
    Agreed.

19. Jason79

Jason79 Jedi Master star 3

Oct 31, 2012
    The Jedi Temple march was by far my favorite piece of music from Revenge of the sith. Powerful stuff and very moving!

20. dolphin

dolphin Chosen One star 5

Nov 5, 1999
    Maybe John Williams could do what he did for the Harry Potter franchise. Score the first movie in its entirety, establish the themes then hand it off to others who will borrow liberally from his work. This is if old age overtakes him. I'd like to see him do all three but if he's healthy enough for the first one, the trilogy will be on a good footing.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  21. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Sounds good to me. Have him do the first one, then for 8 have him work with someone and then for 9 the new person will do that one.

22. Jedi Gunny

Jedi Gunny Chosen One star 9

May 20, 2008
    Hopefully he'll be able to do as much as possible before he needs to hand over the reins.

23. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    It would be great if JW could do the music for the ST, but he may have to get someone else to orchestrate it and perform it for him if his health doesn't hold up or he has work with Spielberg taking up his time.

24. boomx2sjk

boomx2sjk Jedi Master star 2

Nov 9, 2012
    I say if he is alive, it's all his...

25. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002