main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Best Spinoff Ideas

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Deputy Rick Grimes, Feb 8, 2013.

1. Air Jedi

Air Jedi Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 1, 2013
    He was executing Order 66 before it was mainstream.

2. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    He was out for a while, but when he came back, NOBODY had delusions of granduer.

3. Guybrush

Guybrush Jedi Master star 3

Oct 18, 2001
    For one it could bring back Vader and the Emperor, it could bring back Yoda.

It would be easy to tie in an Obi Wan adventure where he has to face Vader again. When Vader in ANH says, "When I left you I was left a learner...", well that could mean the first time Obi Wan meets Vader in full on suit, Obi Wan again gets the best of him and could easily tie into the story. He needs to find out somehow that Anakin is more machine now, twisted and evil.

Kenobi could face Tarkin, that could be interesting on screen.

We could learn more about Obi Wan, where he came from, things we never got to go into in the prequel trilogy. Could bring back ghost Liam.

Ewan is a strong leading actor and this generation has grown up with the clone wars...they know all about Obi Wan and would look forward to a spin off with this character.

Lots of possibilities.

4. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    Eh... no.

Why would then Vader be surprised to sense Obi-Wan again and why would Tarkin think he's dead if he knows he's not?

Besides, there's a thread about Obi-Wan spin off already somewhere.

Captain Tom Coughlin likes this.
  5. Guybrush

Oct 18, 2001

That's the exciting part... A story could be written to tie it all in. Disney is looking to Bring back Vader...Vader will be back on the big screen again.
    He is to important to the Disney Brand...a Obi-Wan spin off done correctly could set up another classic confrontation on the big screen.

The rules have changed, Lucas no longer has control of the franchise for better or worse. We are going to see a ton of Star Wars....and Vader will be a key piece to the puzzle.
    Disney is looking to make tons upon tons of cash....they also want what they feel would be safe bankable films.

A Obi Wan spin off with some Darth Vader thrown in (Done Correctly) will get people in the theater seats!

Death T likes this.
  6. Placeholder

Placeholder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 30, 2013
    Obi-Wan's story is complete. He is in hiding between the two trilogies, and in hiding is where he should remain. To mess with that is to weaken the structure of the saga. More is not always better.

To be honest, this whole spinoff idea makes me nervous.

Poor Greedo and The_Hellhammer like this.
  7. Guybrush

Oct 18, 2001
    I agree with you...but for better or worse it is going to happen. There is going to be Spin Off films. Disney has said Vader is in their plans. He is one of the most iconic bad guys of all time.

That is why Disney is looking at the time period between Revenge of the Sith and Return of the Jedi.

1. Han
    2. Bobba Fett
    3. Obi Wan
    4. Yoda

They are the most bankable characters in the time frame, they are the ones who just might run into Vader. Believe me, like it or not, Disney is hard at work trying to find a way to get Vader into the picture.
    They spent 4 billion on Star Wars....They are bringing Vader back on the big screen.
    An Obi Wan or a Bobba Fett story would be the smoothest stories to bring Vader in.

Could Disney screw all of this up? Yes! Lets hope not....

8. StoneRiver

StoneRiver Force Ghost star 4

Oct 6, 2004
    completely agree.

IF they were to do the Obi spin-off, it would have to take him off of Tatooine (or away from the Lars Homestead in another part of Tatooine) for a short hero mission and keep him away from ANY major character from the main saga. IMO.

It's strange, I seem to keep reiterating the same points on different threads [face_whistling]

9. StoneRiver

StoneRiver Force Ghost star 4

Oct 6, 2004
    I see what ur saying, and the answer is yes if they just go for the cash cow willy-nilly.

I hope and pray that IF Vader shows up in his own movie, again it should be away from any characters from the main saga. [face_praying]

Now he could be in the Boba spin-off without interfering with the main tale...

Guybrush likes this.
  10. Placeholder

Jan 30, 2013
    The prequels and the original trilogy are already kind of sloppy in the way they line up. But given what those movies tell us as a whole, Obi-Wan is not only in hiding, but is there to look after Luke from a careful distance. Given the importance that they place on Luke, Obi-Wan would do nothing to draw attention to etiher himself or Luke. He wouldn't go on adventures, he wouldn't do anything but lay low and not jeopardize drawing attention.

11. Guybrush

Oct 18, 2001
    If you are Disney...and you need make money off the purchase. They don't want any stone go unturned. Disney comes to you and says, "StoneRiver....we need to find a creative way to bring an ObiWan adventure to life, a way to get Vader and ObiWan on the big screen one more time. We are going to pay you $150,000.00 for you idea" The idea has to be believable, feel honest and true to his character and the overall story arc of the franchise" What would your story be?

If you tell Disney that one of their main character assets is off the table and can't be touched, they will say thank you but we aren't going to keep a revenue stream in the dessert of tatoonie, I'm sorry you don't feel like writing the story and we will look for someone who can. Thank you.

George Lucas has no control over these films anymore, rules have changed...studios are trying to squeeze the most out of a franchise. The Hobbit is being made into 3 films. If they did the same with Lord of the Rings...it would have been 12 films.

With that in mind, I have a strong strong feeling we will see Han Solo, Yoda, Obi Wan, Bobba Fett, Vader on the big screen again in the next 10 years.

Star Wars is a commodity now...and it is going to be mass produced on an epic scale. For better or for worse.

12. Guybrush

Oct 18, 2001

But that idea doesn't make money for Disney. I have a strong belief they aren't going to keep a character asset rotting in the desert. Ewan is in prime condition to play the part, and Disney is all about making money.
    So...if Disney approached you to write a story, what would it be? Say no, and you don't get paid...they will find someone else.

It's a business and we have a generation that has grown up on Kenobi clone wars stories, there is a huge market to get him off that dessert rock.

Like it or not, it's going to happen at some point.

13. Placeholder

Jan 30, 2013
    You're right of course about the business interests when it comes to established characters. That's why I'm nervous.

Guybrush likes this.
  14. Guybrush

Oct 18, 2001
    Yeah...this isn't George Lucas and Walt Disney anymore...this is a corporation that is changing faces every few years. I trust Kathleen Kennedy and it seems like George Lucas laid out some ground work (looks like more then we knew) to get Star Wars up and running again on the big screen....but the suits at Disney have final say. They have done a great job with the Marvel universe....showed some cracks with Pirates of the Carribean.
    Like you said...I'm nervous.

15. Placeholder

Jan 30, 2013
    I'm more nervous about the spinoffs than I am about the new trilogy movies. I am cautiously optimistic about those.

16. Guybrush

Oct 18, 2001
    Agreed!

17. bighairedaristocrat

bighairedaristocrat Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 6, 2013
    Like it or not, its not going to happen at any point. Disney can, and will, make plenty of money without resorting to an obi-centric movie, the very concept of which (as you outlined) would contradict what we know from the 6 existing films.

18. fishtailsam

fishtailsam Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 30, 2003
  19. Gallandro

Gallandro Force Ghost star 4

Jul 8, 1998
    First off all, both Vader's and Tarkin's reaction imply that they knew Kenobi was alive following the Clone Wars/Purge. Vader simply mentions that he senses a presence he's not felt for some time. Tarkin specifically says, "Kenobi, surely he must be dead by now," implying Kenobi was alive, but must be dead due to the passage of time.

I really wouldn't mind a one off with a story surrounding either an adventure where Bail Organa makes a desperate call for Kenobi to help the early Rebellion, but with the mission ultimately ending in failure. Or of course an adventure with Kenobi meeting and saving a young Luke Skywalker, setting the stage for Episode IV. There are a lot of possibilities where you could bring back Ewan and not go too loopy.

Yancy

20. Guybrush

Oct 18, 2001
    How does it contradict what we know? We know nothing of Obi Wan while on the dessert of tatoonie. Do we? The six films didn't tell me anything. All I know of Star Wars are the six films.
    We know he went to tatoonie to watch over Luke but we also know he was awaiting orders at any minute.
    In ANH when he was summoned back, he was to old and felt Luke was Ready for his journey.

Who is to say he wasn't asked back into secret service a few times while on the Tatoonie....it was like his Bat Cave, no one knew he was there. Why? Have no idea, Vader and the Emperor knew Kenobi wasn't Dead. Vader watched him walk away. Vader would be searching the Galaxy for him...who is to say they didn't meet up again and one point or the other?

It would make sense that Owen Lars didn't want Luke around Obi Wan because he would continue to go on Idealistic Crusades to confront the empire. Lars would want to pull Luke far away from Kenobi, make sure Luke never got involved.

With all the talk of Spin Offs, I would be very surprised Disney didn't explore a potential option with the character of Kenobi. We all know they want Vader back on the big screen. We know they are writing spinoffs, if these spinoffs are successful...it wouldn't take much time for the suits at Disney to point the finger at the Kenobi character and take a chance on bringing an adventure to life.

1. Ewan Mcgregor is a well known actor, bankable actor. He has expressed interest in bring a story to life.
    2. This story could bring in Vader who is one of the most beloved bad guys of all time.
    3. a generation of kids have grown up watching the adventures of Kenobi and the clone wars.

Doesn't make sense that he is the one character they wouldn't touch...but would take a gamble on a Yoda story or a Bobba Fett story.
    I don't see a Han Solo story as much of a gamble, in fact I see a Kenobi story as safe as a Han Solo story and definitely safer then a Yoda or Fett story.

Looking at it from a business standpoint. It makes sense to explore the idea.

21. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    Source?

22. bighairedaristocrat

bighairedaristocrat Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 6, 2013
    You say Obi-wan was "awaiting orders any minute" without any basis. The necessity of obi-wan maintaining a low profile was described logically by Captain Tom Coughlin. We know Vader and Obi-wan didnt see eachother since their duel at the end of ROTJ because of Vaders line of dialog in ANH when he mentions that he was the apprentice the last time they met. Once Anakin became darth vader, he was no longer Obiwans apprentice, so there couldnt have been any meeting of them again between the two movies.

Further, if Vader had visted tatooine at any point, he would have likely discovered Luke's presense there. Conversely, Obiwan would have no reason to leave Tatooine to confront vader.

Also, Lars comment about leaving on an idealistic crusade like his father clearly refers to anaking following obiwan in the prequels. Anakin is no longer on tattoine post ROTS so there would be no way for him to follow obiwan anywhere.

All of your arguments for an obiwan movie contradict what we know from the movies, what we know from what the writers have said, and are just silly.

23. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    There are already a few Obi-Wan Kenobi on Tatooine stories in the EU out there, AFAIK... and there's an entire novel about that coming up, just called "Kenobi" that looks really good. I say just adapt that novel for the screen.

Also, apart from McGregor, get Bonnie Piesse and Joel Edgerton.

24. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Don't we have like 90 other threads regarding this topic?

I just can't see an Obi-Wan spin-off in between III and IV. I don't want a desert movie. What is this? Star Wars Episode Ishtar?

25. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    I think that period between Ep. III and IV is probably the best place for a Obi-wan film, as there isn't very much material yet in the inter-trilogy time period. That allows you to do more or less what ever you want with Obi-wan without worrying about violating canon. The problem is that you'd have to find a VERY compelling reason for Obi-wan to leave Tattooine. Other than the Death Star, which we got in Ep. IV, I can't think of one.

Guybrush likes this.