main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT who could have defeated/overthrown palpatine?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by jnrssa, Feb 7, 2013.

1. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    What's on screen is Mace kicking Palpatine basically in the face. What's not on screen is Palpatine anticipating that and/or throwing the lightsaber fight. The original version shows that Lucas saw no need to have Palpatine put on a show for Anakin at that point. So why would he require such a thing in the final version?

As I see it there are but two possibilities:

1) Assumptions on what you feel is palatable, based on preferences expressed in your posts, are right on the money.
    2) Or they aren't, meaning your posts are expressing a position you actually don't find palatable.

So what are the allegedly regrettable consequences here? A scene giving Mace a win that you don't agree with?

kubricklynch and Alexrd like this.
  2. Bobatron

Bobatron Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    I think it could have been the combined powers of Darth Vader and Luke, but possibly only if Luke crossed over to the Dark Side. The dedicated training by Yoda was to ensure that he could do it without that happening but he cut the training short. In some ways Luke's lack of early Jedi training was a benefit but in others it was not (compassion for friends)
    I must be the only person who never put any thought into whether or not Mace Windu was defeating Palpatine before Anakin arrived.

3. Lazy Storm Trooper

Lazy Storm Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Sep 18, 2012
    My eyes hurt now.

4. Chainmail_Jedi

Chainmail_Jedi Jedi Padawan star 2

Jan 26, 2013
    The Emperor of Mankind (40k)

5. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    Enough with the sideshow, the OP is looking for a two man strike team... not a debate about whether or not Sidious threw the fight, the original intent of Lucas or if Anakin even needed to be there.

BoromirsFan and DarthBoba like this.
  6. GODLIKE

GODLIKE Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 28, 2012
    Palpatine wouldn't stand a chance against a young Yoda

7. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    Mace and Yoda
    Yoda and Anakin
    Mace and Anakin

I love how people still think Sidious threw the fight with Mace. lol

8. The Supreme Chancellor

The Supreme Chancellor Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2012
    I don't get it either...everyone is convinced he lost on purpose. I don't think even Palpatine had enough skill to put on a ruse while dueling MACE FREAKING WINDU. If he even thought twice about something else Windu would have sliced him in half. Hell he almost lost to Yoda as well why do people think he is so all powerful?

Darth_Pevra and rumsmuggler like this.
  9. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    Probably because of his EU-incarnation as basically "god of evil". I prefer the more humane film version too. EU Palps reeks of wish fulfilment.

10. Garrett Atkins

Garrett Atkins Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 11, 2013
    Probably anyone who had common sense.

Did you happen to miss my post a few spots up above yours? Or did you choose to ignore it? In your UR-thread, you were told to review the TOS by another moderator and by the look of this post, it seems to me that you ignored that advice as well. FWIW: I suggest you rethink the way you post in this forum, or your time here will be shorter than you expected. Sx3

11. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Common, yes. Sense, not so much.

BoromirsFan and GGrievous like this.
  12. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    That was Dark Empire Palpatine, when he thought he found immortality via clone bodies. Little did he know that his DNA source was tainted.

13. DRush76

DRush76 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2008

I agree.

14. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Anakin and Obi-Wan

15. Lord Sinister

Lord Sinister Jedi Youngling

Feb 17, 2013
    Sidious>Mace

16. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    Let's look what Sidious does with his time: manipulating senators, playing chancellor of the republic, manipulating Anakin Skywalker, giving orders to the CIS.
    Do you think he has a lot of time for lightsaber combat training?

17. The Supreme Chancellor

Sep 4, 2012
    Well he trained Darth Maul, was Dooku's Master for quite some time, and dueled Yoda to a standstill. So yeah, I think he got in his lightsaber homework at some point.

18. EMPEROR_WINDU

EMPEROR_WINDU Force Ghost star 5

Nov 23, 2002
    Yoda and Mace
    Yoda and Obi-Wan
    Mace and Obi-Wan
    Yoda and Anakin
    Mace and Anakin

I actually don't think Anakin and Obi-Wan would be able to take down Sidious by themselves. The Jedi Order had two that were head and shoulders above the rest: Yoda and Mace Windu. Only with one of them present would a two man strike team stand a chance, otherwise it would take a larger number.

19. BoromirsFan

BoromirsFan Jedi Master star 4

May 16, 2010
    Saesee Tinn and Agen Kolar.

SlashMan likes this.
  20. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    Sure, he is an okay swordsman, but he is definitely not better than Mace Windu who has the opportunity to train whenever he feels like it. Palps lost against Mace after all.
    And we shouldn't forget he trained Maul before he became chancellor of the republic (a time-consuming job I'd think) and not after.

21. The Supreme Chancellor

Sep 4, 2012
    I disagree. If there's one thing stressed by ROTS, it's that Anakin and Obi-Wan were the ultimate team and could fight almost as one. With Obi-Wan's defensive skills and Anakin's raw power I think they would have been a match for Sidious.

22. K'Kruhk

K'Kruhk Jedi Master star 4

Dec 11, 2011
    Obi-Wan got knocked out when they fought together against Dooku. They would not have done better together against Sidious.

23. Sistros

Sistros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 24, 2010
    Yoda and Mace

Dooku and Anakin

24. Jabba_The_Hutt_123

Jabba_The_Hutt_123 Jedi Master star 3

Oct 29, 2003
    A mix of Yoda, Dooku, Mace could probably do it. Maybe Dooku and Mace would struggle if Palpatine went force focus.
    Yoda/Mace with Anakin could also do it, or again Mace Anakin may struggle if Palpatine went all force.

25. The Supreme Chancellor

Sep 4, 2012
    I don't buy it.