main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Rumor Examiner.com Reports Mark Hamill and Carrie Fisher returning as Luke and Leia in 'Star Wars VII'

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by gambit420, Feb 16, 2013.

1. darthzac14

darthzac14 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 8, 2012
    Was there someone said something about we haven't seen any shirtless Jedi? Or have I went to the wrong topic?Anakin Skywalker, that is all.

2. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012
    Alec Guiness was 62yo when he filmed ANH........Mark Hamill will be 62yo on the 25th of September ! coincidence !!! [face_thinking]

Echo-07 likes this.
  3. Jason79

Jason79 Jedi Master star 3

Oct 31, 2012
    All this recent great news is killing me because i have a gut feeling it's all bogus. These sites will post any news that would get us Star wars geeks all riled up. I hope i'm wrong and it's all really happening. I can't take much more of this speculation. I need confirmation dag nabbit!

4. Iefan

Iefan Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 31, 2013
    Where is the Lando love? :confused:

KevinM1, LawJedi and LANDO_ROCKS like this.
  5. bluemilkcheesypuffs77

bluemilkcheesypuffs77 Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 5, 2012
    Or Luke walks in on Han and leia being intimate and then goes all murder suicide on them because he still has feelings for leia despite leia being his sister.

6. Trebor Sabreon

Trebor Sabreon Former Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 15, 2010
    Right. As sensible as it may sound to have Luke and Han/Leia's children appear, we just don't know yet.

As an aside, I've been reading an awful lot from folks around here about "Luke's daughter" and the "female Skywalker lead" over the last couple of days, as if it's a given. So far as I know, there was just one report which stated that back in the autumn, Matthew Vaughn was considering a particular actress for a leading role. How this "news" (hasn't SW always had one of the three leads played by a female?) coming from the early casting designs of a man who isn't even working on the film has turned into 'confirmation' of a daughter for Luke Skywalker is beyond me.

Could Luke wind up with a daughter? Certainly, but there's been nothing to suggest it as of yet. Personally, I find it more likely that we'll see some degree of deference paid the EU with a daughter from the Solo's (a "Jaina-type") and a son from Luke ("Ben-type"), but even while that is a notion born of both the saga's father/son theme and long-standing EU history, right now, it's really no more than a hunch.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  7. pretender

pretender Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 8, 2001
    It's possible that Disney/Abrahms has decided the story will mainly be a "next generation" story and that part of the negotiations with the original cast dealt with about how much they will be seen and how big their part in the story may be. Even if the story isn't finalized yet, they may have said "We're thinking Han is in this role to his kids..."

It's also possible they could add a daughter to Luke and keep his son too. With the actors being in their 60s, they could have Jacen, Jaina and Ben being 20s-30s and skip over a lot of the EU, without having to contradict it, and onto their own story with a teenage daughter for Luke and her gang.

Or if they want a strong female role they have Jaina Solo as leader of Jacen and Ben in their group.

8. Trebor Sabreon

Sep 15, 2010
    pretender

You're right, a lot of things are possible (likely, even), but it's just too soon to say with any degree of certainty.

9. budspencer

budspencer Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 23, 2010
    I am pretty sure that there was some hard negotiations to get the main 3 back. Harrison always wanted Han to croak to give weight to his character. maybe it is gonna happen in the sequels. Also Harrison's Hollywood days are fading away. he is not the big box office draw has he used to be. Probably why he signed on ( if this is really the case ) He's got good roles but nothing that make bazillion $. He would be crazy not to go with this financially. Same goes for Mark and Carrie. For the amount of time of work versus financial rewards, they would be set for the rest of their days easy. Any sound person would jump on a chance to cash in on a franchise. Look at Stallone and his Rockys and Rambos...

10. budspencer

budspencer Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 23, 2010

Bogus comment! Look at Stallone... when there is a will ( and cash at the end ) there is a way!

11. KevinM1

KevinM1 Jedi Master star 2

Nov 15, 2012
    I think the support for a female lead stems from a few things:

1. Apparently Lucas had a female Skywalker protagonist in the form of Nomi Skywalker in his drafts for Episodes 7-9
    2. JJ Abrams isn't afraid of having strong female leads
    3. It would be different than 6 male dominated films

I would love it if the lead was Luke's daughter who took more after her Uncle Han, and had misgivings about following or being a part of the Skywalker legacy.

fishtailsam and Echo-07 like this.
  12. STARBOB

STARBOB Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 11, 2002
    Are you forgetting about Anakin in ROTS after he wakes up during his nightmare? He was topless , I remember because all the fangirls on here were crazy about that scene in the episode 3 forums:p

13. Trebor Sabreon

Sep 15, 2010
    I understand all that, but none of it is evidentiary. That's exactly my point.

- I may be mistaken, but I believe Nomi Skywalker appeared in a very early draft of Star Wars as the character who became Luke Skywalker. Later, she was developed as Luke's sister, a role filled by Leia. How this translates into evidence of Luke Skywalker having a daughter named Nomi in the ST is beyond me.

- JJ Abrams didn't write the characters. As a director, his job is not to create characters, but to give the characters and script life on the screen. In any event, Star Wars itself has never been "afraid" of having strong female leads. Quite the contrary, in fact and the hiring of JJ Abrams doesn't change anything as far as that goes. Again, this is not evidence of a daughter for Luke.

- Finally, and this is just my opinion, but being different simply for the sake of being different is an awfully unwise way of making important decisions in life. Perhaps the strongest thread which runs throughout the the Skywalker story is the theme of fathers and sons and to me, it seems terribly short-sighted to change the heart of the saga at the last moment, just to be different.

I know it's fun to speculate - I enjoy it, too (and with so long to go before we have actual confirmation of which characters to expect, it's not surprising) - but people are taking conjecture and tossing it around as fact when there's absolutely no basis for their flights of fancy.

14. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    You mean this one? =P~ It was my wallpaper for a looooooooooong time!

[​IMG]

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  15. Darth Claire

Darth Claire Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2012
    [face_hypnotized]

16. STARBOB

Dec 11, 2002
    Why can't you ladies learn control like we gentlemen do?:p

Jedi Merkurian and Echo-07 like this.
  17. Darth Claire

Dec 21, 2012
    Why can't you guys learn to control the sexy male population? I mean we got sex gods like Henry Cavill. Don't blame us for...admiring ;)

18. STARBOB

Dec 11, 2002
    Then you must definitely learn control before you see Superman in june.:p

19. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    You guys have the metal bikini - we have 'The Hip' - Not the chest, not the delightfully fuzzy tummy, right below the navel... for me it was his hip and tight little waist..

Good god, that few seconds of screen time alone was worth the price of admission. [face_devil]

JainaSoloYJK likes this.
  20. Darth Claire

Dec 21, 2012
    I already know I'm gunna die in the theatre so I don't care. ;)

21. Darthsuggs

Darthsuggs Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2003
    I doubt we're getting an official announcement until either Comic Con or D23.

22. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    They could just copy and paste Hamill's face onto a 40 year old body-builder for the movie. I mean it would be pretty stupid if they did that.

23. Leias_Left_Bun

Leias_Left_Bun Jedi Master star 4

Feb 18, 2013
    Hello everyone, this is my first post.

Two things. First, I can't agree with the idea that the Star Wars films have never been afraid of a strong female lead. The two main leads so far are of course Leia and Padme. Yes, both women are given a few moments of butt-kicking here and there. But for Leia, her character was never developed much aside from falling in love with Han. Witness her complete non-reaction to finding out that not only was Luke her brother, but that Darth Vader was her father. I don't blame Carrie for this in the slightest; I blame the script.

And Padme is even worse. Her main storyline is falling for Anakin, getting pregnant and serving as the incubator for the next generation of Jedi, being victimized by her husband, then giving up and dying. Ultimately she is a victim, not a strong leading character. Again, I don't blame the actress, but the writing.

Ultimately Leia fares better than Padme because she gets a few more moments of butt-kicking, and because her husband doesn't turn out to be a all-powerful-in-the-force homicidal maniac.

I have high hopes that the female characters will get better treatment in the new trilogy, but no I don't think the main protagonist will be female. But I'll leave that discussion for another post.

CloneTrooperFox likes this.
  24. jedimikey

jedimikey Jedi Padawan star 2

Oct 21, 2012
    Well. Since I already knew Mark was on board for the sequels, it's no surprise to me. I am, however, glad to hear that Carrie and Harrison may also be on board.

I think in this case, the actors in question may be playing characters slightly older than their actual ages. Humans in SW have longer lifespans...Mon Mothma is a good example of this.

25. CloneTrooperFox

CloneTrooperFox Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 27, 2013
    Welcome to the boards. Hope to see you around!

I do see your point of Leia really not showing much emotion when she finds out luke is her brother. I had never really looked at that point before. I thought that Portman did a really good job as Padme personally.

Off topic here.... I am not sure if you follow the animated star wars tv series "clone wars" one of the lead characters is a female Jedi. "snips" or ahsoka tano. She is great in the tv series. she is a jedi in training that battles alongside anakin.