main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Will George Lucas ever win an academy Award?

Discussion in 'Lucasfilm Ltd. In-Depth Discussion' started by CloneTrooperFox, Feb 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CloneTrooperFox

CloneTrooperFox Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 27, 2013
    Just want to know everyones opinion. I do not ever see the academys ever awarding lucas an award. His days are long gone for that espically with him not being in control of star wars. Plus sci fi usually does not favor to well against the political movies for best motion picture, etc...

2. Joe

Joe Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 25, 2012
    Well, GL did talk about doing artsy films when he retired. I think that may get him one.

3. Iefan

Iefan Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 31, 2013
    I think George Lucas' achievement of creating Star Wars far surpasses any Oscar. Though I can't speak for the man himself.

4. GGrievous

GGrievous Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2005
    Well Lucas might've not won something, but Star Wars did receive awards in the 78 Oscars.

5. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    No; he burned bridges with the Director's Guild and Actor's Guild during the OT, and Hollywood is going to hold that against him forever, I think.

That being said, he's gotten a lifetime achievement award.

Palpatine77 and Kenneth Morgan like this.
  6. Placeholder

Placeholder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 30, 2013
    Meh

Oscar or no Oscar his place in movie history is secure. Oscars are overrated.

7. CloneTrooperFox

Jan 27, 2013
    I agree with you all. Oscars are overrated. I love all 6 star wars movies compared to best picture of any of the movies up for that award!! Glad to hear that lucas might still be doing work after star wars.

Alienware and Darkslayer like this.
  8. Nubbs

Nubbs Jedi Youngling

Feb 16, 2013
  9. Eternity85

Eternity85 Jedi Master star 3

Jan 24, 2008
    I agree. Who cares about the Academy? It's just an award. If I managed to break free from the system I would not expect them to reward me for it.

10. TheYankee

TheYankee Jedi Master star 1

Sep 23, 2006
    If George Lucas ever wins an Academy Award, the already rotting reputation of that organization will take another hit.

11. Jedi_Ford_Prefect

Jedi_Ford_Prefect Jedi Master star 4

Jun 9, 2003
    No, he got an Irving Thalberg award, for producing. Not the same as the Lifetime Achievement Oscar. Anyway, they've really hurt the credibility of that award by moving it to the same ceremony as the technical achievement stuff, so they could keep all the songs and lame banter in the show. No wonder Godard didn't bother to show up and collect his statuette in person.

I'm joking, of course. Godard would never be caught dead at the Oscars.

Mr. K and DarthBoba like this.
  12. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    Thanks for clearing that up. :)

13. Billy_Dee_Binks

Billy_Dee_Binks Force Ghost star 4

Mar 29, 2002
    Stanley Kubrick never won an Oscar for Best Picture or Best Director.
    So Lucas is in good company.

Besides, the way everyone at Lucasfilm had been snubbed for all three Prequels probably not made him care about the award any longer.
    The costuming, the effects, the make-up, cinematography, the scores- whenever a SW movie came out they got snubbed and the awards ended up with the blandest possibly nominee instead. I mean, Best Costume for "Road to Perdition" in 2002 and "Memoirs of a Geisha" in 2005?! Those run of the mill period piece films have NOTHING on Trisha Biggar's work.

14. KED12345

KED12345 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2012
    Empire Strikes Back wasn't even nominated for best picture, so what does that tell you about the quality of the Oscars? They hate sci-fi and action flicks. Your movie had to send a political message home to win the best picture, or has to be a sappy drama.

Palpatine77 and hear+soul like this.
  15. Lars_Muul

Lars_Muul Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    He did too get a Lifetime Achievement Award - by AFI.

Awards in general, though, suck, as they work against the very nature of art. Art is about personal expression. It's not something to compete with. Knowing that awards are out there waiting, though, that's exactly what "artists" around the world try to do. They try to please certain people in order to receive accolades instead of just expressing something of their own.
    Because of this, true art can be hard to spot in this day and age. GL's movies, though, fall into that category, since he's been adamantly doing things his way. His movies are his personal expressions.

- I've lost Artoo!
    - Dumb droid!

/LM

Alienware, Billy_Dee_Binks and Samnz like this.
  16. Jarren_Lee-Saber

Jarren_Lee-Saber Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2008
    The Academy only gives awards to people who bow & scrape to them.

Lucas has also never made a movie about the Holocaust, gay people, someone dying slowly or anything pretentious.

17. BlenderWars

BlenderWars Jedi Padawan star 1

Feb 20, 2013
  18. CloneTrooperFox

Jan 27, 2013
    I thought argo was a great movie!!

19. Sir Cronal

Sir Cronal Jedi Youngling

Feb 14, 2013
    In my opinion, Lucas should have won Best Director instead of Woody Allen back in '78.

Palpatine77 and Jarren_Lee-Saber like this.
  20. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    There's Academy Honorary Awards and that get tossed to some old timers, he may end up getting one just for the hell of it.

Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
  21. Joe

Joe Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 25, 2012
    I think the Academy are a group of people who love selecting an obscure art house film so they can tout their fine taste in film. Because of this, George will never get an award - he is too mainstream

22. KilroyMcFadden

KilroyMcFadden Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 31, 2012
    After the Academy snubbed Jake Loyd for his lighthearted yet poignant portrayal in which he was able to deliver a performance that foreshadowed the heavy handed evil and lent credibility the future Darth Vader's eventual turn away from the Sith teaching... they lost all credibility with me.

Is anyone actually surprise that they snubbed the most objectively brilliant writer and director in all of time and history? Never in the annals of film making has a man ever written dialog with so many subtle layers of meaning, weaving together the fabric of language in a rich tapestry lesser artists can only dream of one day achieving. The man is an actor's director, who forges relationships with the artists with whom he directs that brings out performances of which the artists themselves weren't aware they were capable. George Lucas is no mere Kubrick, no petty Coppola, no amateurish Bergman...

The accomplishments of the entire film industry are left wanting when compared to any single scene from the least of his movies and it is an absolute travesty of both taste and justice that the Academy doesn't beg George Lucas to relent from his lifetime movie making tour-de-force so that other, lesser directors can at least appear to deserve recognition.

The Academy members are clearly jealous, and have obviously conspired, over the years, to give awards only to people that are objectively George Lucas's artistic inferiors just to put him in his place.

TX-20 likes this.
  23. thesevegetables

thesevegetables Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 11, 2012
    Ridiculous how technical stuff is snubbed in favor of actors. For example, best whatever actors get actual clips from the movie with their performances, while cinematography gets a still screenshot. If the camerawork is really so good, maybe we should get to actually see some of it!
    And cinematography actually gets to show up at the Academy Awards ceremony, where all those actors talk about how the behind-the-scenes people are owed so much.

24. LukeSkywlaker1138

LukeSkywlaker1138 Jedi Padawan

Feb 26, 2014
    He should have the two Academy Awards for Star Wars he was nominated. I saw Annie Hall, the film that won those Oscars as well as Best Picture, and I wasn't impressed. I actually was about to fall asleep, but it ended before I did. Star Wars, in my opinion, should've won all of the Oscars it was nominated for, as it was a film that revolutionized the film industry, it took themes that people were familiar with, such as science fiction and fairy tales and did something different with them by putting them together and making something original. Star Wars helped influence some of the great filmmakers, such as, Christopher Nolan, James Cameron, Peter Jackson to name a few, and it was something that brought people together. People around the world saw it and were able to just escape whatever was happening in their lives and see a film that was so amazing that words aren't even enough to describe the film. Star Wars is a masterpiece.
    Also, Lucas is a visionary filmmaker. While people may criticize the things he's done in recent years, he has a story he wants to share and he puts it out. Maybe it isn't the best thing ever, but at least Lucas is a filmmaker that makes things that are personal, and not just for the money. That's a bonus for him. I like the prequels, granted Jake Lloyd was annoying as hell and isn't a good actor, Hayden Christiansen should've acted better, I've seen movies he's in outside of Star Wars and he's really good, I think that he was nervous playing a character that would later become Darth Vader, and Jar Jar Binks, was annoying, but he was comic relief and isn't really that horrible of a character, just annoying at times. Also the prequels were able to connect to the Original Trilogy, and there is a good storyline when you watch them in order.
    And I feel that all the new enhancements on the original trilogy he put, are there to please him to finish his vision, but when people complained he's tried to please both himself and the fans by making somethings improved and trimming some things. And while I understand his reasoning for Greedo shooting first, I still like the original better where Han shot first. The good guy shoots first so he's not killed. But hopefully one day, the original trilogy will come to blu ray one day. But, I guess I'm a Star Wars fan that's open minded and can accept the changes as long as they don't alter the tone of the film. But the noises should be quieter for Obi-Wan in A New Hope and Vader doesn't need to say "No. NOOO!" in Return of the Jedi and the Ewoks don't need to blink cause that's just creepy, but yeah, those things aside, it's all good. I'm not necessarily thrilled for Disney owing and making new Star Wars movies. Star Wars is over, it began on top and it ended on top. Lets leave it alone and do something original.

25. Mr. K

Mr. K Moderator Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 1999
    He should have won for American Graffiti. Although the Irving Thalberg award does not have the 'oscar' form, it is a bust of Thalberg himself and is an honorary Oscar. There are over 2800 Academy Awards out there, but only 39 have one of these babies & GL is one of them.
    [​IMG]

Palpatine77 and SlashMan like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.