main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC The Official Craft Beer/Microbrew Beer Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by WookatMe, Feb 26, 2011.

1. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    Yup, Tank 7 is one of the Saisons we had. I preferred the other one, Boulevard Saison. Hey HealerLeona I had a really good stout last night, Anderson Valley Barrel Aged Stout. You won't find it anywhere out there but you might like it. Went well with a chocolate chip cookie. :D

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  2. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    Strilo, did you ever make it to Salzburg, especially during Lent? The Augustiner brewery (not to be confused with the Munich brewery of the same name) brews a special Lenten beer that is quite excellent. Nicknamed "liquid beer" it's stronger than their regular "Märzen2 and was brewed to sustain the monks during their Lenten fasting.

3. mrsvos

mrsvos Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 18, 2005
    I have a bottle left of quick mead I call 'garbage mead'. Someone got a hold of and shared these 5 gallon buckets full of this mysterious dark smoky honey and passed it around. It turns out it's whats left at the bottom after the heat and pasturize commercial honey. Everyone says it makes the meas taste like alcoholic Dr. Pepper. Next up...hard cider..
    http://www.eattheweeds.com/how-to-make-hard-cider-2/.

4. New_York_Jedi

New_York_Jedi Force Ghost star 6

Mar 16, 2002
    Hello Beer Aficionados,

I'm going to the local bar with a staggering selection of beers, and to prevent myself from getting my usual Stone Double Bastard, I am soliciting advice. Beer List is here. First page is the taps ,the rest is bottles.

I like basically all types, though I tend towards the IPAs/Strong Ales, and away from the Wheat beers and the fruity/lambic beers.

5. WookatMe

WookatMe Jedi Master star 4

Aug 22, 2010
    That is a hell of a selection. One that stood out was the Bruery Smoking Wood. Fantastic beer but pretty strong and heavy. Like the name would suggest smokey with warming Bourbon flavor. A high abv as well so drink cautiously. Highly recommend.

6. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    last night i ended up trying the hopworks deluxe organic ale. it was amazing!

-G-O-A-T- and WookatMe like this.
  7. -G-O-A-T-

-G-O-A-T- Jedi Master star 3

Jul 18, 2005
    The two that I would probably be curious to try are green flash palate wrecker from the ipa's and lost abbey deliverance from the strong ales list.

i'd probably want to try either of the jack's abby brews from the cask conditioned list also

8. -G-O-A-T-

Jul 18, 2005
    I had lagunitas cappucino stout recently. it was excellent.

9. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    I haven't made any home brew in three years. Once I get a new kit, I'll get back in the game.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  10. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000

Not very much in the Imperial Stout list. :(

11. xblackout

xblackout Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 5, 2008
    I'm seeing a good selection of Dogfishhead and Flying Dog on there...give some of those a try, I'm a fan of almost everything I've had by them.

My former boss sent me some beer for my birthday and I've tried 3 or the 4. Weyerbacher's Merry Monks (goes down wayyy too easily and packs a sneaky punch...9.4% I believe), New Belgium Brewing's Fat Tire (I'm from Ohio and now live in NYC, so I was excited to finally try it and loved it), and Columbus Brewing Company's American IPA (pretty standard IPA, nothing too exciting).

I was also super excited last week when I stumbled upon the best beer selection I've found in NYC which also happened to carry my favorite brewery from back home, Thirsty Dog. I may have made a small scene in the aisle when I saw it...

12. -G-O-A-T-

Jul 18, 2005
    I saw some. I would definitely get a founder's breakfast stout on draft. :D

13. Healer_Leona

Jul 7, 2000
    Haven't had the draft, but have downed many a bottle. Favorite stout at the moment is Evil Twin's Ashtray Heart.

14. xblackout

Jun 5, 2008
    Founder's Breakfast Stout on tap is absolutely divine.

15. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    I definitely made it to Salzburg, but not during Lent. I was not even aware of an Augustiner from there. The München brewery makes my absolute favorite beer of all time.

16. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    The Munich brewery is tremendous, i went there when I was in Munich last September for FCB-VFB. Best waiter ever -- poured two Hefeweizen simultaneously, perfect pour/head on each!

As for the Salzburg brewery, definitely worth a trip. Only have a Märzen most of the year, then a Christmas Bock and the Lenten Beer. All are tremendous.

17. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    Found this at a local BevMo this evening:

[​IMG]

:D .

18. New_York_Jedi

New_York_Jedi Force Ghost star 6

Mar 16, 2002
    Sadly, I ended up not going to Sunset that night. Recently newish beers I've had the Balrog #2 Brown IPA at John Harvard's, which was good(And obviously has a great name), a bottle of the Firestone Double jack IPA (which was amazing), and the Anderson Valley Winter Solstice on tap at a local bar, which while not being my favorite type of beer, was a very good winter beer.

Tunick, what do you think of the Sunset Wheat, and how does it compare to Honey Weiss? When I was younger I loved it, and when I had it a few weeks ago I realized younger me was an idiot. Its scared me away from Lienenkugel in general.

PRENNTACULAR likes this.
  19. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Leinenkugel is meh. Nothing really worth noting. It's like Sam Adams or Henry Weinhard's.

PRENNTACULAR likes this.
  20. Healer_Leona

Jul 7, 2000
    I find Leiny's better than both those, Tim.

Had a Squatter's Out Darkness Stout last night. Starts out with the expected heavy bitter of stout, but on the way down suddenly had a tinge of sour. Planning on another one this evening. :D

21. LandoThe CapeCalrissian

LandoThe CapeCalrissian Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 30, 2012
  22. Healer_Leona

Jul 7, 2000
    That sounds tasty. I enjoy a good fruit beer. Going to look for it.

23. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Happy Guinness Weekend everybody!

Healer_Leona likes this.
  24. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000

I've never had the Sunset Wheat, and that purchase of Honey Weiss was my first ever purchase of a Lienenkugel beer... I really liked it, though the taste of honey was a bit too subtle.

25. xblackout

Jun 5, 2008
    [​IMG]

Used some Murphy's Irish Stout to make cupcakes to sell at work today and tomorrow! I had never tasted it before but I liked it more than Guinness...pretty good stuff.