main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion will the ST restore Star Wars legendary glory, or will the LOTR stay on top???

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by StarWars2015, Feb 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. StarWars2015

StarWars2015 Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 5, 2012
    Ok let's have a real discussion, a discussion that spands the entire realm of Fanasty movies. Most everyone by now who has any salt in them at all knows that the prequels were a dismal failure. A failure on many levels and they came at a time when Peter Jacksons Lord of Rings Trilogy so fully dominated with classic coolinest & Awsomeness that most fans have attempted to forget the prequels altogether, while the Peter Jackson just released his latest masterpiece the Hobbitt, a Prequel of his own & one that surely defined the way a prequel should and can be made.

In fact when one studies this subject you find that LOTRs has indeed surpassed Star Wars as the top Franchaise, and it even appeared as if the war was over until the ST was announced & George Lucas turned SW over to more talented and creative people with disney as the new Emperor.

We will have 2 LOTR Hobbit sequels one in 2014 and one in 2015 and I'm sure LOTR will continue with Spinoffs much like Star Wars will do as well and then the ST will begin to arrive in 2015 and attempt to restore order to the Galaxy, wipe away the memory of the horrible SW Prequels and once again put the greatest Space opera of all time back on top.

But let me be clear, Every single LOTR film to this point has been great, and each oone has added more to the universe & story while. Star Wars stands on only 2 films that can be said to be great ANH and the Empire Strikes Back.so Star wars must get Episode 7 right or the contest may indeed be lost forver..

2. Darth Claire

Darth Claire Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2012
    I don't try to compare LOTR and Star Wars too often. The two are different in a lot of ways. Like LOTR is the most epic thing created....while Star wars is the most epic sci-fi *or whatever you guys consider it* thing ever.

3. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    Jackson V Lucas, and now JJ - TBH, I couldn't make it through the first LOTR... just didn't do it for me.

Bobatron and SithLord_1270 like this.
  4. StarWars2015

Dec 5, 2012
    ROTJ had a tall order and in the end had its moments but could not match Empire Strikes Back which in due course became the Star Wars film that has keep the entire SW saga form falling into a Abyss, Empire has earned its right to be called one of the greatest of all times.

In comparsion Return of the King earned over 10 Ocsar nominations and won 5 and has been renowed world order as a total masterpiece. Star Wars has no more room for mistakes, after Jar Jar, Monk Jedis, Ewoks, and cartoonish wooden acting and poor storytelling in the prequels, they better get the Sequel Trilogy right because we already know the Desolation of Smaug & There & Back Again are going to Rock...........

Revious Nugo and Darth kRud like this.
  5. EMPEROR_WINDU

EMPEROR_WINDU Force Ghost star 5

Nov 23, 2002
    As a huge fan of both I can honestly say that I never compare these two franchises. That having been said, I don't believe the PT was a miserable failure. The PT domestically outgrossed the LOTR trilogy and the ST will out gross the Hobbitt trilogy. I love all three LOTR films but I also think that TTT was a notch below both FOTR and ROTK.

6. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    The OT is better than the LOTR trilogy. With the addition of the PT the SW Saga falls a bit. The Hobbit Part 1 was good but still too early to tell where the other two movies will go.

7. Darth Claire

Dec 21, 2012
    I think the sequels might benefit from the failures of the prequels *and a sense the originals*. There will be lower expectations so all it needs to really do is get a good story, acting and action and it will already be seen as vastly superior in comparison to other things. The down side is that since its a sequel to the originals fans will be comparing it more to the originals and well....lets just see if the original actors are still good actors *I mean its been a while since Hamill and Carrie have been in a big-budget blockbuster*. Hoping for the best. *also Return of the King is epic sauce. Gandalf for the win!*

Darth kRud likes this.
  8. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    The prequels were a failure?

2 billion dollars doesn't seem like a failure to me.

9. Darth Claire

Dec 21, 2012
    Not a failure financially but in the eyes of a LOT of fans they were a failure to live up to expectations.
    Ex: Transformers is a failure cause while it made a **** load of money, it was obviously more focused on showing off special effects, making toys, actresses devoid of actual talent and other stupid things than actually creating a good story and something that the fans can be proud of.

Darth kRud likes this.
  10. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    I know what he meant.

I'm just sick of sheep who diss on the prequels despite (and I guarantee you this one has not) never having truly read between the lines and analyzing the films for what they are. The problem was that people went into theaters with expectations, not knowing that the PT would have a different feel from the OT, while still maintaining the core SW feel. And for that reason, I promise you that the ST will get the same treatment.

klooney and Jarren_Lee-Saber like this.
  11. KevinM1

KevinM1 Jedi Master star 2

Nov 15, 2012
    Justin Bieber has sold millions of albums. Does any adult consider his music to be good? Die hard Star Wars fans will consume anything that has the logo on it. Multiple times, in most cases. But that doesn't speak to the quality of the item, only the depth of their passion for the franchise.

---

That said, it's not a competition. Looking at Star Wars as though it's competing with Star Trek, LOTR, or anything else misses the point. More options are better, especially if those options are entertaining. And there's definitely room enough for all. One succeeding doesn't necessarily mean the other is destined to fail. If Star Wars dwindles into obscurity, it won't be due to them losing an imaginary competition with the other franchises. It will be due to the films being bad and considered bad on their own.

12. Darth Claire

Dec 21, 2012
    Its kinda saddening in a way. Expectations truly can destroy a film. I mean the sequel trilogy could be amazing but if it doesn't fit a certain persons idea of how it should be they'll rant. Prequels suffered from that. Mostly decent-mediocre/heavily flawed films but with "OMG THIS WILL BE THE BEST THING EVER" expectations. I'm keeping my expectations at "Moderate". Not too high but not too low. Its the safe way

Seagoat likes this.
  13. StarWars2015

Dec 5, 2012
    The money any film makes notwithstanding, this is about the creative balance a film brings, about what that film offers to the fanbase and to the franchaise overall and about its staying power. Not about the gross returns, people camped for weeks to see the phantom menace without so much as even questioning the title, just assuming because it wa Star Wars it would be great but it was not fan expectations that ruined the prequels, it was George Lucas poor writting & most of all horrrible diecting skills.

14. Darth Claire

Dec 21, 2012
    Pretty much. Combine that and fans unhumanly high expectations/"Its star wars it must be good" and well...the rest is history

15. 16AndPregnant

16AndPregnant Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 19, 2013
    Who said Lord of the Rings was better than Star Wars? In my opinion, it's not.

Resolution, Ryus, DARTHSHAME and 9 others like this.
  16. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    Ah, good. Another "The PT sucked!" vs. "Nuh, Unh!" thread. Have fun kids. :)

17. Luukeskywalker

Luukeskywalker Force Ghost star 5

Jun 23, 1999
    If someone comes in here and makes the statement that they didnt like the PT, so be it. That is their opinion and not only are they entitled to it, they have the right to voice it. What gets under my skin is when someone says "anyone who has any salt in them" recognizes that the PT was a miserable failure. Oh really?!?!? Well, I guess my body composition isnt made up of much salt then!

Just tell me how I am supposed to feel. Afterall, I am a mindless robot who cant think for themselves. Then again it wouldn't matter if I could because I love the prequels and my opinion apparently doesnt hold any merit to some people!

18. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    People still discuss LOTR places besides Star Wars boards? :p

Ryus, EviL_eLF, Julius Vernon and 3 others like this.
  19. Darth Claire

Dec 21, 2012
    I believe the true battle will be Star Trek 2009/into darkness vs Sequel trilogy. Now THAT is a battle. Which is even more fun knowing that we got the same director. Makes me wonder what will happen if the Sequel trilogy is good and JJ has to choose between SW8 or Star Trek 3 what will happen. I can see the Star Trek vs Star wars battle going insane and turn into a "He's MINE! BACK OFF!" fight.

Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
  20. LawJedi

LawJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2009
    I always figured that Star Wars fans watched Lord of the Rings the same way that they show off their new girlfriends to the ex-girlfriends. There's really no other reason to make out with that ugly Hobbit unless you're trying to make your ex jealous. And we know who you really love, fellas!

DarthBoba likes this.
  21. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    Why are you so insecure of yourself?

22. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    See I'm a total Fanwhore. I LOVE Star Wars, and Star Trek, and LOTR, and Potter, and Alien, and BSG, and Farscape, and Firefly/Serenity, and Marvel, and DC, and IMAGE, and...............I just can't settle down with one franchise. :)

23. LawJedi

LawJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2009
    Ditto. I'd love for all of the families to get along. But unfortunately, those Lannisters are always starting some ****.

24. Buddha Fett

Buddha Fett Force Ghost star 4

Dec 18, 1999
    "There's only one Return, and it ain't of the King, it's of the Jedi." - Randal Graves.

25. Darth Claire

Dec 21, 2012
    Is it bad that there are some moments in LOTR that I would kinda like to see in a SW film? Like the new hero being chased by a bunch of sith like this

Or Luke being an elderly bad ass like Gandalf

Like the heroes are doomed but then we all see Luke come in and save the day all epicly *or whatever.
    I'm probably the only one here but I'd just like something that epic. *yeah I'm a LOTR fan*

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.