main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC school shooting in Conn.

Discussion in 'Community' started by KnightWriter, Dec 14, 2012.

1. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Really? I was unaware that medical science had advanced to the point that we could take a dead brain, analyze its chemical composition, figure out exactly what was firing and why it was firing, and then attribute that to a direct cause.

Or, here's a thought - maybe that's just some bollocks explanation being thrown around by some, but not all, psychologists that the media, an entity which, I might add, you are usually quick to denounce except conveniently when it serves your own ends, snapped up and twisted into one of its traditional "videogames cause violence" shpeals. Because, and here's a thought, maybe Adam Lanza liked FPS games because every ****ing 20-something white male in America likes FPS games.

I mean, I'm sorry, I don't normally get this worked up about stupid arguments on the internet, but when you bump a dormant thread about the senseless murder of a bunch of children it sure as hell had better not be to post a tacit reaffirmation of your censorship agenda.

2. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Eh, the genre lacks originality nowadays and there's not enough single-player content to justify the cost.

Don't get me wrong, I'm still homicidal.

jp-30, CT-867-5309 and tom like this.
  3. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    I just played Modern Warfare 3 a couple of hours ago. Guess I'd better shoot up a school.

JackG likes this.
  4. Aytee-Aytee

Aytee-Aytee Jedi Master star 5

Jul 20, 2008
    1. Yes, I was quick to denounce the media (or really, the talking heads making **** up in order to say they were first, damn the facts), but this is coming from an official report from the Newtown investigators.

2. I sir have no "censorship agenda". And it wasn't liking games (or guns for that matter)...it was being obsessed with them. Locking oneself in a darkened room with simulated gunfire for hours upon hours will turn anyone into a nutter.

That being said, hopefully the investigators will make exactly what evidence they gathered open to the public.

5. Skywalker8921

Skywalker8921 Jedi Knight star 4

Jun 9, 2011
    "Lord,

As we mark the first anniversary of Sandy Hook tomorrow, help us to remember that it should not be a day of pointing blame or bickering, but simply a day to remember those who lost their lives. Put Your arms around the families and comfort them, and let them know that You weep with them. Give them peace and strength during this trying time. Though the children are no longer here on this earth, we should rejoice that they are with You in heaven, now and for all eternity. You know their pain, for You willingly gave up Your own Son that through His death on the cross humanity, unworthy though we are of the grace You have so mercifully extended us, might have eternal life by believing in His name. May Your Presence be with us all. In the name of Your Beloved Son, Lord Jesus the Christ,

Amen."

Edit: I can't get the picture by itself, but take a moment to go to this link and look at the photo. It serves as a powerful reminder of how precious children are.

http://www.richardpaulevans.com/angel-statues

Juliet316 likes this.
  6. Kiki-Gonn

Kiki-Gonn Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 26, 2001
    I can't entirely agree. The one year marker is a good time to point out that the country has basically done nothing to prevent another Sandy Hook.
    Not that I'm for political mud slinging all around to mark the day of course but we have a responsibility as a country to do more than just remember the victims as if they were struck by lightning.

7. Saintheart

Saintheart Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 16, 2000
    The first thing to do is not do stupid stuff like mark "anniversaries" of major shootings, and in particular don't mark them by renaming and drawing attention to the creepy *censored* who gunned down a couple dozen kids. The concept is pretty simple: mass shootings are invariably publicity stunts by people who are not insane but usually with borderline or right beyond the border personality disorders and who are craving attention via blood. Mass shootings generally have a good deal of planning that goes into them, and the literature recovered from the homes of mass shooters invariably includes indications of a desire by the shooter to "one-up" or "outdo" the last mass shooting that was covered by the media; the Columbine massacre has featured heavily in many mass shooters' recovered documentation subsequent to that point; Virgina Tech being the most prominent. In short, the more you publicise and make a circus out of these sorts of killings, the more you actually encourage other similarly-minded *censored* because they see they can get a moment on the six o'clock news if they do it. There is a similar phenomenon with suicides: when one is identified or prominent on the news, a cluster of copycat suicides invariably follows. As a result you don't generally see suicide identified in news reports, because somehow they got through to the blood-money media that they actually are partially at fault when they glorify suicide. The same basic fact does not seem to have gotten through to the major media yet on mass killings. It would be interesting to see how much news stations' ratings rise in the wake of mass shootings, and thus be able to literally put a number on how much money they make out of these killings.

Oh, and in passing, the second amendment blows. It's not really the point I'm making.

Yeah, that word isn't allowed.

8. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    I don't understand why there's so much outrage about the report's findings. I suspect that if they'd been virtually anything else, they would not be challenged so aggressively.

On the hand, LeeKenobi I think you don't really have a point here. The NRA argument was not simply that video games played a role. All sides of the debate talked about the need to think about violence in our entertainment media (go look at the "Derp" thread's last discussion of President Obama). Their argument was specifically that cultural factors are the sole explanation for what happened, that the ubiquity of firearms has nothing to do with it, and that the only appropriate point of intervention is trying for cultural change. All of those things are still wrong. He's no more or less "partly right" now than when he first gave the speech, and mentioned some people got shot in Connecticut. In both cases, he's starting with fairly uncontroversial facts and extrapolating to a bunch of unproven, weird policy recommendations. All of which are still wrong.

9. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Disgustingly fitting that this thread should be bumped on the same day as a school shooting in Centennial.

10. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Oh are you guys finding ways to blame anything but guns for a school shooting, still? Adorable. [face_flag]

11. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    Leekenobi and mr44 haven't shown up yet.

12. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Seriously... I'm surprised there's no discussion on this. Only a couple of people were shot, though, so I guess it went under the radar, or something.
    http://www.cbsnews.com/news/report-shots-fired-at-arapahoe-hs-in-centennial-colo/

13. epic

epic Ex Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 1999
    Just get rid of guns. Seriously. It's just ridiculously obviously mental that guns are so readily available in America.

Jedi Merkurian , V-2, halibut and 5 others like this.
  14. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    I honestly was not aware of it until you guys started posting just now. These sort of events have apparently become so commonplace that they don't even generate considerable coverage anymore.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  15. Lazy Storm Trooper

Lazy Storm Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Sep 18, 2012
    In America we have guns for three main reasons:
    1) Self-Defense
    2) Invasion (Not probably going to happen anytime soon if ever)
    3) Protection from the government in the case that the majority of citizens feel the government is unfit and needs to be changed for the betterment of the people (Not going happen anytime soon and I hope I never gets this bad)

16. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    Yes, we know guns exist for defense against non-white home invaders, defense against an invasion from a non-white country, and protection from a non-white president. Thank you for reiterating the points of every gun nut who's posted in this thread and the other.

17. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Bwahahahahahahaha.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahahahahahahahahahahahaha.

[face_flag]

18. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    Ender he's 13 come on.

19. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    I tell ya wut.... you'll pull muh grun outa muh cold dead hands *spits*

MURICA!! [​IMG]

20. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    He probably just finished watching the Red Dawn remake.

21. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    Boy, I sure am afraid of Chi-- er, North Korea because none of my financiers are from there.

22. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    I've said before, Gun Control (the background checks those idiots over at the NRA and their ***kissing GOP allies blocked would be a good start), needs to go hand in hand with reforming our mental health system, which is something that's desperately needed in this country (including removing the stigma towards mental illnesses that keep so many from even trying to get help in the first place. And I'm not talking about idiot rich kids who use made - up words like 'Affluenza' to get off on DUI murder charges). So I'll just leave it at that, because right now I'm too mentally and emotionally spent to rehash the arguments again.

23. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
  24. Condition2SQ

Condition2SQ Jedi Master star 4

Sep 5, 2012
    [​IMG]

(Sorry if this has been posted in here before; haven't slogged through the whole thread)

25. Lazy Storm Trooper

Lazy Storm Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Sep 18, 2012
    I was going to write a big post explaining my post but then needed I didn't need to because I stated a FACT not an opinion. That is a paraphrase of the Bill of Rights. I never once stated an opinion and for your information; yes I do not believe there should not be a ban of guns in the U.S. but I do believe should be more restrictions (back-ground checks, mental tests, and gun safety training should be mandatory for anyone to legally own a gun).

EDIT: As said by others I think there needs to be better mental heath care in our country too.