main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Star Wars - Reimagined

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Anaokar, Feb 17, 2013.

?

Would you want to see an animated re-imagining Star Wars Trilogy?

1. YES

42.3%
  2. NO

57.7%
  3. UNDECIDED

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Anaokar

Anaokar Jedi Youngling

Feb 23, 2010
    Ok people. Here it is. I've been working on this for about two years now. A new, slightly off-cannon re-imagined, animated, NON-PROFIT, Star Wars trilogy. Classified as a fan film, this would wipe the slate clean of all the crap that has cluttered the SW galaxy over the last 20 years or so. Top notch animation, professional voice actors, and some true artistic input from real SW fans who actually care. Re-written to be more relatable to today's culture, while still retaining that awe and mystery that got us all into it in the first place.

I know this may come off as a bit long winded, but let me assure you, I have the resources to get the ball rolling. A presentation trailer would be put together, concept art revealed, and then, it's in the hands of crowd-funding to get it finished.

The stories would be based on the original trilogy, with any historical notes of Anakin and clone wars reduced to flashbacks throughout the stories. The history would be re-written. No more trade federation nonsense. No more midichlorians, no more whiny Anakin bitching and moaning...and while we're at it, no more Ewoks. That goes double for Jar-Jar.

New designs, new ships - all animated. This would NOT be for children.

So, my question is this...would YOU, the fans support it? Would you want to see this happen?

It was always my intention to get to a certain point in the story writing process, and then put it to the fans to see where they all stood on the issue. When Lucas sold everything to Disney, I thought this idea was done, but I'm a stubborn person, and I see that fan films are still going strong. That's when I realized that they will never shut down star wars fan films - it's too damn big. So, back to work I went.

I'm fully prepared to dedicate the next five or more years of my life to see this through, but only if the fans want it.

Who am I? I'm nobody. Just like Adywan in the UK who revisited star wars DVD's with color corrections and re-edits, or Kevin Rubio who directed TROOPS. I'm a fan who has the time and resources to make something he cares about and set it loose upon the world.

The Star Wars galaxy is hurting. I would very much like to heal that. Who's with me?

All comments welcome, but please, lets keep it civil, ok?

2. KilroyMcFadden

KilroyMcFadden Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 31, 2012
    Of course!

3. Ambervikings91

Ambervikings91 Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 1, 2012
    Yeah would be cool, I don't know why anybody would vote no. The worst case is ya don't like it and never check it out out again.

4. Anaokar

Anaokar Jedi Youngling

Feb 23, 2010
    I find it odd as well - especially when they don't offer an explanation. Hmmm.

5. Julius Vernon

Julius Vernon Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 7, 2012
    I'm not sure it would appeal to me at all to be honest. For the most part, I have not liked the fan made films at all. There is an animated short however, that is incredible (Empire vs. Rebellion dogfight). Because it's animated and some people can do amazing things with animation, I may watch it. I probably wouldn't seek it out unless enough people here told me I had to see it though.

6. Anaokar

Anaokar Jedi Youngling

Feb 23, 2010
    I think that's because most fan films out there are mediocre at best. I'm beginning to understand peoples apprehension now. I'm not interested in mediocre results.

7. Julius Vernon

Julius Vernon Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 7, 2012
    I think if you made something that was amazing, the demand would be there (that's not always the case, but for Star Wars-quality will create demand); but I also think you would have a lot of fan apprehension because of a disconnect from what they view as canonical.

There are fans who just want great stories based on the mythos that is Star Wars, but there are a lot of fans who want brand (at times for better or for worse).

8. CloneTrooperFox

CloneTrooperFox Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 27, 2013
    Sounds good! No trade federation though?

9. Chainmail_Jedi

Chainmail_Jedi Jedi Padawan star 2

Jan 26, 2013
    Another vote for yes. No Ewoks? No Jar Jar? You must be the Chosen One.

10. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    Put me down for no. I have next to no interest in watching a re-imagined version of the originals, and no interest in such a project that strays from any and all prequel influence. Plus Star Wars wouldn't seem like Star Wars to me if it goes too far past PG-13 territory. I think there's enough grim and gritty elsewhere without having to redo Star Wars in that vein.

eht13 likes this.
  11. Anaokar

Anaokar Jedi Youngling

Feb 23, 2010
    No trade federation.

12. Anaokar

Anaokar Jedi Youngling

Feb 23, 2010
    I appreciate your honesty, even though I don't share your views.

13. Anaokar

Anaokar Jedi Youngling

Feb 23, 2010
    I think the ones who want brand name stuff will be disappointed. It's a very character driven outline. At the end of the day, They're people, like all of us. We're human. We have vices, and flaws, and beliefs and dreams and protests and so on. The best stories are the ones that include things like that so the audience can relate.

Should be interesting to see how this question pans out over the next few months.

14. Jedi_Ford_Prefect

Jedi_Ford_Prefect Jedi Master star 4

Jun 9, 2003
    I've always thought that doing a series adapting the six existing "Star Wars" movies into 20-something episode long seasons would be a great way to retell the story of the saga. I wouldn't even necessarily be adverse to a telling that decided to make changes in the narrative and let it become a sort of alternate telling-- say if Qui-Gon had survived on Naboo, things like that. Obvious swerves in the established continuity from what we expect, as is common in a lot of anime reboots.

But this? Hell no. This just sounds like another case of fanboy wishful rejiggering of the saga, trying to eliminate all the stuff they don't like and injecting steroids into everything that remains. I like ewoks and the trade federation, thanks. When this kind of revisionism bubbles up in fandom, I really wish that the people behind it would give up the idea of rebooting the saga to try and tailor-fit it to their own subjective likes and dislikes, and try and do something original instead. Occasionally you see people in tv or comics do this, with the stepping-stone of "what I don't like in the prequels" as a start to something of their own-- "Firefly" and the comic-book "Saga" are good examples of that ("Saga" especially). I mean hell, even "50 Shades of Gray" starting out as damn "Twilight" fanfiction is a more constructive thing to do than this.

ILNP and eht13 like this.
  15. only one kenobi

only one kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 18, 2012
    This. Especially the sentiment of the second paragraph. I started out doing a re-write of the Star Wars saga - for my own entertainment - and then realised...its a bit of a cheat. I should create my own characters and my own 'worlds' for them to inhabit. The ideas I would want to address I should adddress through them. I realised that if I write Obi-Wan then it would be a character that I have decided Obi-Wan to be, so why not start from scratch. Whatever story I desire to tell shouldn't be told through the 'cypher' of another's characters.

And, that step is liberating. My story is nothing like a Star Wars story. If you really have an urge to do something creative then I'd suggest settting yourself free of another's universe. Let it be your guide, if you wish, but make it your own.

eht13 and Game3525 like this.
  16. Anaokar

Anaokar Jedi Youngling

Feb 23, 2010
    ...I'm sorry, but did you just compare "50 Shades of Grey" and Twilight" to Star Wars?

17. Jedi_Ford_Prefect

Jun 9, 2003
    Egg zactly.

Now, is it a good idea to try and use "Star Wars" or some other pre-existing story as a first step in the creative process? Sure, why not? After all, it worked for "Star Wars" itself-- Lucas wrote his own space opera when "Flash Gordon" wasn't available, and patterned it after "The Hidden Fortress" to give it structure. A lot of my favorite stuff tends to have very obvious points of inspiration-- "Neon Genesis Evangelion" was called "the remix anime" for a reason, just as Tarantino's constantly used what can charitably be described as "homage" since the days of "Reservoir Dogs".

The problem that I find with fandom is that it doesn't try to reach out beyond the old stuff nearly as often as it should, and it's something that is bothering me more and more with fanboys that make it in Hollywood. To be quite honest, I don't really want to see Michael Arndt's or J.J. Abrams' Episode VII. I'd love to see either or both of them do their own original space opera, but really, do we have to see newer voices strangling themselves with older stories and characters? Bryan K. Vaughn's a great comic-book writer, but by and large I only really care for his original creations, like "Saga" or "Y: The Last Man". I don't really give a hoot about how he uses pre-existing Marvel or DC figures-- yeah, it's a natural, necessary step in that industry, but still. There's too many talented writers there who only want to relive the same stretch of 70's and 80's stories over and over again instead of creating something new to read. How many damn times can we recycle "The Death of Gwen Stacy" before it just gets lame?

18. Jedi_Ford_Prefect

Jun 9, 2003
    Indeed. Pastiche is as pastiche does.

19. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    What type of animation are we talking here?

20. Anaokar

Anaokar Jedi Youngling

Feb 23, 2010
    Doesn't matter. Not going to bother now.

21. Jedi_Ford_Prefect

Jun 9, 2003
    No reason you shouldn't go ahead and make an indie animated space-opera. Just don't call it "Star Wars". If you did, it'd be wasted effort anyway. Go original, and you can actually profit from showing it.

22. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    I think mo-cap is the way to go.

23. Jedi_Ford_Prefect

Jun 9, 2003
    I'm a big anime fan, so I'd say no to that. But again-- big anime fan.

Hell, maybe I'll just do something like this myself some day.

24. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Not going to bother now because the vote majority was against it? :rolleyes: I guess it made more sense to just lash out at everyone in the other thread.

25. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    Really? I just asked a simple question. No need to get passive aggressive.

eht13 likes this.