main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation How Would You Have Luke Die?

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by EviL_eLF, Nov 2, 2012.

1. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    Luke dying would be cliché at this point. And anyway, what's the point of becoming a jedi if your life expectancy is cut in half? Where's the karmic justice in that? And since we have seen the mentor bite it a bazillion times already, it wouldn't even be very shocking or surprising.
    Have Luke die while he is 150 and while watching sundown.

If you ask me, Han Solo is the one to die. His death would be much more unexpected and could be made meaningful too, especially if his daughter is the protagonist.

2. Air Jedi

Air Jedi Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 1, 2013
    Episode VII - Lando & Chewbacca die.
    Episode VIII - Han & Leia die.
    Episode IX - Luke dies.

Just a random prediction, I don't have any theories to back this up.

3. yggdrasil311

yggdrasil311 Jedi Master star 3

Oct 7, 2004
    What's the deal with everyone having to either a) die or b) be redeemed? It's so fanboyish and tacky, and not outside the box.

DarthBreezy and DarthRelaxus like this.
  4. Trebor Sabreon

Trebor Sabreon Former Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 15, 2010
    I think a lot of folks are just thinking that Luke's fate will echo that of Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan and while I understand this reasoning, I agree that it's not exactly out of the box.

As I said, my vote goes to defying these expectations and having Luke survive altogether.

Darth_Pevra and yggdrasil311 like this.
  5. yggdrasil311

yggdrasil311 Jedi Master star 3

Oct 7, 2004

I really hope that's what Kasdan means by "new and fresh". I really hope we all don't want the SAME story repeating over and over and over again.

• Anakin/Vader = Trouble Child > Trouble Hero > Villian > Redemption back to light.
    • Luke = Torn Child (Between joing Empire or going down "Father's Path" > Torn Hero (Training to be a good Jedi or Risking to be drawn to Darkside by being careless) > Redemption (via mental balance, with good prevaling.)
    • Leia = Confused reckless Youth > Strong Militaristic Leader Adult > Let's Guard down to be tricked on CLoud City > Redemption back to strong Leader/Now known force user
    I'd really hope that we go down a different path and not towards the obvious ones. I think that's why I kind of stayed away from EU, as I got the gist of it and it felt too cliched and similar-pathed thinking. Someone falls to dark-side, then hunted/redeemed, etc.

Darth_Pevra and TreborSabreon like this.
  6. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    It would be interesting if Luke died much like Jack did in Lost where everyone is escaping some sort of doom while Luke lies on the ground the last shot being his eyes closing.

7. Trebor Sabreon

Sep 15, 2010
    Hello George Lucas, Kathleen Kennedy, Michael Arndt and J.J. Abrams, my name is Robert and writing to make you aware of the LLL Movement. Let Luke Live! ;)

Thank you for hearing our voice. [face_love]

8. DARTHSHAME

DARTHSHAME Jedi Master star 4

Dec 19, 2003
    I think Luke will die of old age. Let keep in mind that Disney need to make this work and killing Luke is risky. Many of us are wary of how Disney will handle the franchise and I think they will be cautious in handling Luke. Would it not be ironic if Luke is the one who figures out how to finally cheat death. Perhaps seeming to die in one movie only to suddenly reappear to help save the day. I know that is farfetched. I am in favor of him dying in old age. They will likely only risk killing one of the icons suddenly for fear of a backlash. I think that will be Han Solo. I do not feel Disney will feel obligated to mirror the PT or OT; therefore, requiring the death of the Jedi mentor to allow the Jedi hero to proceed may not be needed.

9. Darth kRud

Darth kRud Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 1, 2012
    Have his head chopped off by the new (old) villain in front of his loved ones.

Sitara likes this.
  10. BarkingFrog

BarkingFrog Jedi Master star 2

Jan 4, 2009
    "You're gonna die here, you know"

If it happens, it will be on Tatooine. There was the "His fate will be the same as ours" line in ROTS that referred to Palpatine, Anakin and Obi-Wan all dying on the Death Stars, so it's not that farfetched.

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  11. Sitara

Sitara Jedi Grand Master star 3

Oct 8, 2001
    Luke should die in an epic dual with a Sith Lord near the end of EP 7. He should then appear as a spirit in Ep 8 and 9.

Han should die in ep 8 along with Chewie in a space battle in the Falcon, which too is destroyed.

The children of Leia and Han should also be killed by the same villain that killed Luke in ep 9 as they try to avenge him, against the wishes of Leia who is now on the Jedi Council. Their deaths will show how revenge and hatred lead to failure and disgrace for a Jedi. (but success for a Sith ofcourse)

Leia then is the last surviving of the old crew and the last skywalker in the galaxy. The skywalker line will end with her as she is too old to have kids anymore. The trilogy should close with her declaring the Sith can never be wiped out because the Force has two sides and both will always remain: Jedi and Sith, with neither being able to wipe the other out. Any such attempt will always plunge the galaxy into horrible conflict with no real resolution.

The best the Jedi can do is hold the Sith in check, and counter their moves. While the Jedi and Sith cancel each other out the republic builds itself anew to prosperity, under the leadership of Chancellor Lando (who has finally shaved his ridiculous 80's moustache)

Darth kRud likes this.
  12. Graphic

Graphic Jedi Master star 2

Nov 18, 2012
    As an very old man. Hang around on his Oncles Farm on Tatooine. The two Droids are with him.
    He slightly pass away.
    Could imagine that his family (whoever that will be) burn him together with the moisture Farm on a bright Sunrise, to set a new point for the Future.
    Sometimes there is a moment to let go and left the past behind us. Could be a nice end for the new Trilogie....

13. the_sinister_hologram

the_sinister_hologram Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 3, 2012
    An interesting thing to note is that Yoda is the only Jedi/Sith to die of natural causes in both the PT and OT.

We could say that living your life as a Jedi is dangerous enough and that you will be facing challenges which can prove to be deadly.
    A Jedi knows that this is their life and they know the risks. I don't think that a Jedi joins the Order just to live for 200 years. They are selfless.

They dedicate their lives not to live eternally (that would be the Sith) but rather to help maintain order and peace throughout the galaxy.

14. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    I am aware of that. But still, it seems unfair they would all (okay, except for Yoda) die prematurely. Star Wars is usually fairly idealistic. Good deeds are rewarded, bad deeds are punished.

15. Vastor

Vastor Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 1, 2012
    Can tell you all right now you will never EVER see Luke die in combat by the hands of another, he will either join the force to save someone else or die of old age or leave the galaxy to explore never to be seen again.

He might even take up the role of the father in Mortis to balance the force for all we now.

TreborSabreon likes this.
  16. RAZORBLADE

RAZORBLADE Jedi Padawan star 1

Feb 13, 2013
    nah for me luke should die at the end of the last movie peacefully, becoming one with the force and joining his father's ghost on tatooine watching the twin suns set. that would be powerful in my opinion and would end the saga off as the skywalker saga

TreborSabreon likes this.
  17. Darth Claire

Darth Claire Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2012
    I find it interesting how whenever I hear a "Han should die by sacrificing himself and the falcon to save the new heroes" I am reminded of this

18. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Actually, it might be cool if they do the Batman Beyond approach where Luke has to retire due to massive injuries or something along those lines, but he doesn't have to die.

19. Vastor

Vastor Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 1, 2012
    OK THIS MIGHT BE A LITTLE OVER THE TOP but if he has to die then this is the way it shoud go....

This all happens in 29 minutes
    1 Luke defeat 100 sith lords in the jedi temple alone in a mighty battle'
    2 He uses the force to crush the sith armada above Coruscant 200 ships np
    3 Many of the old sith lords of old comes back from the force to stop him, sidious, kun, ban etc etc he fights off all these sith lords and sends them back to the dark side so they cannot return
    4 He sense someone in his family is in danger, he sacrafice himself and joins with the force to save them.
    5 There is a great seremoni to honor Luke Skywalker like they did on Yavin epi IV, during this seremoni Luke and Mara appears to everyone making everyone feel good.
    6 People in the cinema is so happy about the movie they all cry and have mindless sex orgies and there is free beer for everyone.

20. princessnikki

princessnikki Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 8, 2012
    Maybe he could be injured on a return trip to Tattooine, where he has taken his old T-16 out for fly around, only to have it crash and he is found by a pack of stray Womp Rats with a grudge from the days when he used to bullseye them!

21. FloydB1Kenobi

FloydB1Kenobi Jedi Master star 1

Jun 13, 2002
    Natural Causes.

22. Trebor Sabreon

Sep 15, 2010
    I think that this is probably pretty spot-on. I've heard people suggest that the new big bad will "take Luke out" to flex his or her bad guy muscle, but should Luke die in combat, I imagine that (much like with Obi-Wan) it will be of Luke's own accord.

If Luke absolutely must die, I'd prefer he be given the peaceful death he has earned, but I still say the best option available is for Luke to survive and head out on his own, where we get the chance to decide the rest for ourselves. This honors Luke's character, keeps his journey going indefinitely (in a sense) and most importantly, encourages audience participation in the story. If we, the people, are ever given the chance to write our own personal fates for any Star Wars character, it should be Luke.

23. budspencer

budspencer Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 23, 2010
    How about nobody freaking die except the villains? The main 3 characters did not die and everybody went on their merry way and were happy with what they had received in the 1980's. We lived with it! Today people are so freaking brainwashed into thinking that people have to die in a story to make an impact on it. I personally find it lame and it points to Asian storyline philosophy of storytelling which the average adult has been fed so many times over time. Look at how people were hyped up about the matrix trilogy and how it ended. It ended the way an Asian movie would have ended. the bad guy dies and the good guy croaks also and looked at what happened. People were disgusted, felt cheated that they had invested so much time in that trilogy only to see it end in a draw. Nobody won. Zilch! years and years of patiently waiting for the end and that was it. This is the way Asian people like their movies but not North American people for sure. Do you want that to happen in Star Wars. Its like Luke , Leia and Han have to "absolutely" die otherwise people wont think the story would be good. This is pretty lame, sick in many ways and retarded to want to see this kind of thing. This "kind of thing" has been also done to death and critics would just destroy the movie if Luke would just "sacrifice himself" for his babies...

I am sure that George, JJ and the writer ( sorry forgot his name ) can avoid that stupid trap and come up with something where everyone will have an action pact film without the dread of the grim reaper in the trilogy...

24. Darth Claire

Darth Claire Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2012
    I believe the original cast do need to die and by the villain. Because it 1) Instantly makes the audiences realize this new villain means business *I mean wouldn't you hate a guy who killed Han or something* and 2) Its the only full way to pass the movies onto the new cast. If we just keep the old cast around because people are too scared to kill them off then we're not really giving this franchise over to the next generation. We're just being stuck in the past. The sequel trilogy is a perfect time to let these classic characters move on and allow Star wars to enter a new generation
    Plus I doubt Harrison ford *who said he wanted Han to die* would appreciate being dragged around for two more films. Poor dude :p

EviL_eLF likes this.
  25. budspencer

budspencer Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 23, 2010

Ok- so how many ways can Luke die that are not cliché.

• A la Ben, raises lightsaber and vanishes.
    • Flushes himself in the toilet out in space in the falcon.
    • His x-wing explodes for no good reason.
    • Cylons attack.
    • Bobba Fett returns and kills him.
    • Jr Ewing conspires to take over the jedi order and has him assassinated.
    • Greedo returns from the dead and shots Luke first in the cantina. Luke too slow to react while sat down a la Han solo.
    • Emperor comes back and fries Luke.
    • R2 falls into bathtub with Luke and electrocute him.
    • C3p0 want freedom and stages a robot revolution against luke 3 rd Cylon war begins.
    • Arnolds Swatzeneger shoots luke dead cause he told him " ill be back!"
    • John Mclane shoots luke " Yippee ki yay ( censored )" Bruce apologizes and tought Luke was Hans gruber resurected.
    • A sith lord comes back and his better with his lightsaber and kills luke in 2 seconds.
    • Luke sacrifices himself to save his kids from a burning ship about to go down. I name him Jame T kirk luke says while dying on his ship that crashes into another bigger ship.
    • All the clone soldiers get order 66.b converge on Tattoine and kill Luke Skywalker. Millions of clones show up at luke's homestead, he had no chance.
    • Luke has taken the place of Jabba at his palace. Another punk kid come to claim his friend, falls into a pit. Luke later blown up on his sail barge...like Jabba did.
    • The mummy returns on Tatooine and terrorizes planet. Looking for eyeball that belongs to him, stolen by luke many decades before. Mummy vows death on Luke.
    • Chewie loose after a fair move. Really pull the arms out of Luke's sockets...
    • Han does not like Luke anymore. Betrays him for money.
    • Agent Smith arrives from the matrix and does 15 bullet cam moves before Luke can light up his saber. Luke never stood a chance.
    • Luke goes to mustafar to pay his respect to daddy vader's brithplace. trips on cane , falls into lava pit... :(
    and so on and so forth....

BigAl6ft6 likes this.