main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC 2013 Fitness Goals

Discussion in 'Community' started by Souderwan, Jan 12, 2013.

1. Spider-Fan

Spider-Fan Jedi Master star 4

Jul 15, 2008
    10 pounds total since Jan 2. 110 left to my goal.

Also I want to report that I hate the BMI.

Souderwan likes this.
  2. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Final indoor meet is on Friday. Thank goodness. Probably going to run the 800 again. I'm shooting for a 1 second PR of 2:34. Just trying to be realistic. One of the disadvantages of indoor track is that you get a really nasty cough afterwards.

3. benknobi1

benknobi1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2002
    is it dusty in there ?

4. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    Nah it's just that it's so dry inside, especially during the wintertime.

5. Jedi_Matt

Jedi_Matt Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 11, 2002
    In bath, nice 4.62 km run and then runtastic squats and pushups.

35 pushups in 5 sets, so not great but they are nose-to-phone. I remember when i could do 50 first thing in the morning :-(

Youth!

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk 2

6. ma_petite

ma_petite Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 26, 2006
    It is a transition week of P90X so we started with yoga, then a new one called core synergistics which was awful for me, kenpo, and then stretch today. Some part of me feels like I am doing less this week cuz we aren't doing any weight lifting and I think that is purposeful but I am still feeling it.

No idea on weight loss but my bra now needs to go on a tighter hook in the back!

(mobile sock of s65horsey)

yankee8255, Jedi_Matt and Souderwan like this.
  7. SoloKnight

SoloKnight Jedi Master star 4

Feb 13, 2003
    Core synergistics is one of my favorite P90X workouts. I was so proud when I could finally do the whole running plank to chaterunga. That one's a beast.

I tweaked my knee pretty severely back in September and just got the go ahead to start running on it again. It's so hard to have to start back at ground zero (when I tweaked it I was getting out for10k a few times a week.) Started with just a mile today and plan on gradually increasing the mileage. Gotta get back into rugby shape.

8. s65horsey

s65horsey Otter-loving Former EUC Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 24, 2006
    Yeah that's one thing I definitely can't do right now!

9. LandoThe CapeCalrissian

LandoThe CapeCalrissian Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 30, 2012
    P90x is actually very intense. I wasn't a believer till I bought it myself.

I find it to be extremely brutal workouts.. Its all about the Plyometrics DVD. When you finish that entire thing from start to finish you feel like you conquered a country...

I came into it with a high fitness level and struggled to finish that hour long DVD. absolutely amazing.

10. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    I have finally got the bike out again and started riding to work. Of course it was 38 degrees the first day I did it, baptism of fire. :p

I feel noticeably more active in the mornings when I do that.

Jedi_Matt and Souderwan like this.
  11. SoloKnight

SoloKnight Jedi Master star 4

Feb 13, 2003
    Yeah, Plyo is probably the most intense overall workout, I just never did it because I'd need to give my quads a day off afterwards and that would screw up my cycling schedule. I pretty much like all the workouts, though I think I'd get more out of them if I had a pull up bar instead of just bands. The only one I didn't like was Kenpo. Didn't feel like it worked me as hard as the others and my hip popped every time I tried to kick high.

And for all you P90xers on here, I find this list that ranks the supporting cast to be pretty amusing (and who doesn't rank the cast members?)

12. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Considering the amount of carbs I have ingested this winter I need to get back down to my consistent 160. I swear I will drop this pound, whatever it takes.

George Roper likes this.
  13. s65horsey

s65horsey Otter-loving Former EUC Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 24, 2006
    Oh man thanks for sharing that list! I giggled a lot and most of it is so true!

Anyways, I disagree with the rep P90X has in that you must be physically fit to do it. I wouldn't have called myself physically fit when I started and I still don't think I'd call myself physically fit several weeks in. There are all sorts of modifications that the dvds show you while you're working out and Tony is fantastic in mentioning things that newbies must do that negate the workout or stretch (like shrugging on the neck stretches). That's the stuff I really like. Also for Plyo they have someone showing step moves so one doesn't have to jump around like a frog in order to get something out of the dvd.

14. LandoThe CapeCalrissian

LandoThe CapeCalrissian Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 30, 2012

That link is funny...

15. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    I've been exceptionally lazy the past few weeks, haven't even hit the treadmill once this month. Need to get going, maybe put in 30 minutes tonight, can watch the Bayern-Arsenal match on the iPad.

I ran track in high school, 800 and 400. Most of our meets were in the 168th St Armory in Manhattan, a somewhat legendary place, that has been renovated into a beautiful running facility. Back when I ran, though, it had a wood floor (so that if you fell, you spent the rest of the day picking splinters out of your legs) and was also used as homeless shelter. The air quality was atrocious.

Good luck Friday!

What the armory looked like back in "my day"
    [​IMG]

16. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    Yikes, I couldn't imagine running on a wooden floor. Sounds painful.

17. Kiki-Gonn

Kiki-Gonn Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 26, 2001
    I went for a run at an indoor track this weekend (hotel where my family was visiting) and I noticed that.
    The gym was below us too so the heat was rising up into the running space. Thought I was getting sick until I realized what it was.
    Aside- the note I put in my Nike running app for that run was, "Old man keeps lapping me."

18. Souderwan

Souderwan Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 3, 2005
    So I got lazy and took two days off. The consequence was immediately apparent at command PT today when I pretty much died with the 7-8-5 routine. Of course, it didn't help that the Chief decided that we should do two consecutive sets of 5's. I almost puked.

19. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    Yesterday's weigh-in sucked. I was down less than half a pound from last week's.

And then this morning I checked again and had magically lost 2 lbs yesterday.

20. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    I had to force myself to go shopping today. My pants were just way too big. I lost 4 inches off my waist for the month of February. It's been great but I want to see more off my stomach :/ 12 pounds down 18 more to go.

Kiki-Gonn, Jedi_Matt and PRENNTACULAR like this.
  21. PRENNTACULAR

PRENNTACULAR VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2005
    In Vegas all weekend so I didn't work out, but played basketball and did weights last night, and then weights and abs tonight. Gym tomorrow, full body work out and a 2 mile run.

I think all the protein I've been eating has been making a difference.

Jedi_Matt likes this.
  22. Jedi_Matt

Jedi_Matt Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 11, 2002
    You will have that. You will have those weeks where you work really hard and expect a larger loss than you actually have, don't worry. If you are improving your fitness then remember that you will be toning as well, and muscle is denser than fat. Keep smiling and keep plugging away :)

ma_petite likes this.
  23. Kiki-Gonn

Kiki-Gonn Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 26, 2001
    Managed a quick 5 kettlebell circuit and some push-ups (stole the 5x35 idea from someone in this thread) but that was it since the run over the weekend.

24. Souderwan

Souderwan Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 3, 2005
    This week has been suckitude. I still have a couple days to get to 7 miles for the week, but I've only gotten in 1 in. Lots of sprints and stuff and workouts with Command PT, of course, but only 1 mile of dedicated running. The problem is my knees are starting to bitch about all this running. Lately my right knee has been sounding like rice crispies when I do squat jumps so I figured I'd give myself a rest period.

25. ma_petite

ma_petite Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 26, 2006
    Do you wear a knee brace? I wear a back brace for everything and it makes a huge difference.

(mobile sock of s65horsey)