main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Do you want Chewbacca for the long haul?

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by LukeSkywalker7, Feb 18, 2013.

1. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    There should be a visual sight gag where Chewie looks at a mini-replica of a certain moon and accidently drops it, and then he looks briefly at the audience for a few seconds.

Big Bad Yoda Daddy likes this.
  2. yodasbum

yodasbum Jedi Grand Master star 2

Nov 4, 2004
    I think you would notice if Peter wasn't in the suit and he was played by someone else. He has a very distinctive way of carrying himself but above all it is his eyes that nail this character. I didn't particularly like the PT Chewie costume because I thought it was far bulkier than Chewie was in the OT. I would hope that there is a big place for Chewie in this trilogy and more films beyond.

DarthBreezy likes this.
  3. phatdude1138

phatdude1138 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 2, 2005
    Amen to all the folks not wanting to kill off Chewie. Here's my take on it:

Even though I guess I'm an "uber geek" as well, and totally love Mayhew, "Chewbacca" can live on without him.

As others have said, "we don't have to kill off ALL the classic characters". To my knowledge, Chewie is the only organic MAIN character that is alive and can live on for many more movies. Chewie knew when he took the "life debt" with Han that he would most likely out live him. It's like getting a dog (in reverse) you know you will most likely out live your pet. Chewie knew he would have to move on once Han is dead. I'm not a fan with Chewie being stuck with the Solo family the rest of his life. He would have paid off his debt to Han, so he should be free. Obviously Chewie is a great creature and he would probably stay involved with the group. I'd like to see him pal up (as an equal) with Lando if Han dies. But he'd eventually out live Lando as well. Even though Han and Chewie go together, I always felt bad that it was basically voluntary slavery. I would like to see Chewie have free will for once.

From a Disney marketing side, they can keep Chewie going for years and years. And I personally welcome it.

Back when I saw the films in the theater Chewie was never a favorite character of mine, but after decades and decades of watching the OT, he's grown on me. I guess the appeal is he's one of the most innocent and honest characters. Loyal and tuff. He's like fine wine, he gets better with age.

[​IMG]

yodasbum likes this.
  4. Anakin's Daddy

Anakin's Daddy Force Ghost star 4

Aug 13, 2002
    I'd love to see him as a rebel leader or something, instead of just a sidekick.

5. awesomejedi

awesomejedi Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 7, 2012
    In my mind, until something contradicts Vector Prime, Chewie's dead.

EviL_eLF likes this.
  6. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    Leia will need a new love interest if Han dies.

7. fenton

fenton Jedi Master star 4

Nov 29, 2001
    A contract like that doesn't mean he will be back. It just means if they want him back, it will be at the price they agreed on when the contract was signed, not at some new salary that Mayhew might want today. That contract doesn't guarentee anything.

Chewie would make sense to bring back and have in the movie, playing 5th banana to a new group of heroes. He is also a character who anyone can play, if Mayhew doesn't want too or can't return, another tall person can be in that suit.

8. Sith_Knight087

Sith_Knight087 Jedi Padawan star 1

Sep 5, 2012
    It seem many fans dismiss the EU stories, so in their eyes he's still alive.

9. Episode Swag

Episode Swag Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 9, 2013
    You know what? If he has a life debt with Han, but he will likely outlive him, then Chewie could spend the rest of his life protecting Han's family. Would be a pretty awesome legacy to live up to. Protecting generations of Solos and whatnot. That would be an interesting recurring character in that he would have a different agenda than the droids. There is a lot of potential with Chewie there and I would love to see them do this.

Echo-07 likes this.
  10. Ridley Solo

Ridley Solo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 27, 2010
    Chewie should be alive since Wookiees live a LONG time (George said he was a juvinille in ROTS). The only problem is getting Peter Mayhew back. He's made no secret of his love for the character so I'm sure he'd be willing, but he's hardly able to walk anymore. If they could use him for sitting scenes or in closeups, that would be good enough for me.

Just whatever happens, please Kathy, don't kill him off in some horrible way [face_nail_biting] ...like, say, dropping a freaking moon on him. :mad:

11. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    Sitting Chewie is good enough for me as well. Or use a standin for walking Chewie in long shots and use Peter Mayhew for closeups.

DarthBreezy and Darth Chiznuk like this.
  12. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    What's wrong with Mayhew that he can't walk?

13. Big Bad Yoda Daddy

Big Bad Yoda Daddy Force Ghost star 4

Mar 8, 2000
    May I offer the slight suggestion that he pretends to be scared of it and then rolls his eyes before dropping it?

14. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    I don't know. He walks with a cane.

Come to think of it, I wouldn't object if Chewie also walked with a cane. They'd just have to retcon his relative age.

15. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Chewie should definitely be back and I would love it if he had a bit of gray hair just to show that he's aged a bit. Peter Mayhew should also be allowed to come back if he is able. I don't care that a friggin' moon was dropped on him; he's Chewbacca and that moon would immediately disintegrate into nothingness upon recognizing the Wookiee's awesomeness.

Echo-07, phatdude1138 and Seagoat like this.
  16. phatdude1138

Feb 2, 2005
    Agreed! I'm normally a EU supporter, but I never liked the fact that they killed Chewie off.

As for the Mayhew thing, I too would love him to be Chewie, but the reality of it is I doubt he'd be physically able too. We have to concede that the legacy of Chewie would out live the man that played him. If they cast someone else, I hope they ARE critical of who they cast! I don't just want a guy wearing a suit. I want an actor that want's to truly immerse themselves in the part. Chewie is more than just a "walking carpet".

17. KED12345

KED12345 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2012
    It's not hard to get another person to play Chewie, just get someone as tall as he was. Problems solved, all he does is roar and growl anyways.

18. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002

Actually, no -
    A snippet from Peter's page:

After Star Wars, it was clear that Mayhew clearly embodied the role of the Wookiee, and he was asked to reprise the role for the second installment, The Empire Strikes Back. Again, he proved irreplaceable. During filming, he took ill and was out for a day, When director Irvin Kershner substituted another extremely tall actor in Mayhew's place. This proved to be a mistake: because Mayhew had created Chewie's walk and mannerisms, the substitute was unable to accurately portray the Wookiee. Kershner was forced to discard all of the footage and re-shoot once Mayhew regained his health.

Also:

Mayhew is a Star Wars purist (Yea!), which means that he only believes what George Lucas writes in actual Star Wars, and everything else is someone else's take on the story. Mayhew enjoys the Star Wars toys and other merchandise, especially the art.

http://www.petermayhew.com/peter.html

19. KED12345

KED12345 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2012
    Well that's cool, but if he can't physically do it he shouldn't be forced into it. Granted, I'd love it if he returned.

20. phatdude1138

Feb 2, 2005

Yep, I heard the same thing before.

I DO believe that another actor CAN play Chewie, but it isn't as easy as "get another tall guy". They would have to completely be able to mimic his mannerisms, and more importantly be able to create new scenes based off of those mannerisms.

21. Chewbacca89

Chewbacca89 Jedi Master star 5

Oct 25, 2012
    The live to be well over 400 years old.

22. Jarren_Lee-Saber

Jarren_Lee-Saber Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2008
    I want him out of the franchise permanently

23. EviL_eLF

EviL_eLF Force Ghost star 5

Mar 16, 2003
    Chewbacca is dead until proven otherwise.

Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
  24. vypernight

vypernight Jedi Master star 3

Nov 1, 2012
    This is what I'm debating on in my fanfiction story, which takes place 30 years later (and ignores most of what happened after NJO). Bring back Chewie or replace him with a new character (The character would not be Han's new copilot)?

25. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    He's 68 years old, and over 7 feet tall.

People that tall usually age very poorly, that size takes a toll on the body, especially the feet, knees, hips and back.