main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Inquiries about Yoda.

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Skelter, Feb 19, 2013.

1. Skelter

Skelter Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 31, 2012
    So Yoda is a 900 year old Jedi that's immensely powerful in the force. This is a guy that went toe to toe against sidious, and was able to fight him to standstill. Not only that, he is the only jedi we have seen that blocks sith lightning with his bare hands. Not only can he block it, but he is capable of throwing it back at Dooku. As I mentioned before, he is almost a millennium old. Something about Yoda is just unnatural. Are jedis supposed to be able to live for that long?? Are they supposed to be able to shoot sith lightning back at sith lords?? Is it possible that Yoda has somewhere in the past dabbled in the dark side?? That would explain why he is so much different than the other jedi...Mace Windu himself, the second best jedi in the order needs his blade to block lightning... and even though he did beat palps, his duel was nowhere near as hectic as Yoda's. Thoughts??

2. K'Kruhk

K'Kruhk Jedi Master star 4

Dec 11, 2011
    Force-users are able to live twice as long as regular members of their respective species.

3. Skelter

Oct 31, 2012
    But we know nothing about Yoda's species though.

Captain Tom Coughlin likes this.
  4. K'Kruhk

Dec 11, 2011
    Then at the moment we can assume that normal members of Yoda's species live to around 450 years old.

5. EMPEROR_WINDU

EMPEROR_WINDU Force Ghost star 5

Nov 23, 2002
    I'm not sure that his ability to deflect lightning with his hands is that unnatural. In the ROTS novelization Anakin wants access to information that only Jedi Masters have access to. Obviously Yoda would have been able to study everything the Jedi Order had collected on the Sith. Mace does attempt to block Sidious' lightning with his remaining hand but was unable to fully do so, again according to the novelization, which I could understand since his hand was just chopped off.

6. Darth Ibonek

Darth Ibonek Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 11, 2013
    Source on this? I'm not doubting your statement- I just want to look into it ;)

Bo-Katan likes this.
  7. K'Kruhk

Dec 11, 2011
    No problem, I tend to do the same thing from time to time. I remember reading it on Wookieepedia, but for the life of me I can't remember which article it was from. But rarely does anything get accepted there without a source, so I assume this information had one.

Darth Ibonek likes this.
  8. Skelter

Oct 31, 2012
    I dont recall Windu trying to block it with his hands...Not even in the novel. But it's ben a while since I read it.

9. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Wookieepedia sometimes reflects a misunderstanding of source material.

Alexrd likes this.
  10. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    We also have Yaddle, another member of Yoda's species who was supposed to be very old.

I don't see Yoda's abilities as unnatural, I see them as the result of centuries of training in the Force.

Compare Yoda to a shriveled old monk we see in other fiction, say Asian stuff. They live long lives because they live in harmony with nature, because they understand their own chi and are able to manipulate it. They don't look like much, but they can be lightning fast, they can do some crazy somersault and land on the top of your head balanced on one foot and they can make your heart explode with their fingertips. It's the same thing.

I don't think it's impossible that Yoda has had a brush with the dark side in the past, but I wouldn't bet on it.

11. Skelter

Oct 31, 2012
    I say unatural because no other jedi, to my knowledge, has done the things he has.. Of course, im not including the E.U.

12. Sistros

Sistros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 24, 2010
    I tthink you're over thinking Yoda a bit too much,

he's 900 years old when he dies..might be the average age for his species

yup he deflected lightning back at Dooku, he didn't shape shift into a huge dragon

he's just had years of knowlege with the force,

think of of him as Mr Miyagi of Star Wars

Captain Tom Coughlin and ILNP like this.
  13. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    I tend to agree. He may just be that old because members of his species live that long. Of course, his attunement with the Force could have helped him live longer than average, but it may not be anything like twice as long.

As far as his Force abilities, I see that simply as him naturally being very strong with the Force, AND his many years of studying and practicing. He's had many more years to do that than other Jedi. So no usage or experience with the dark side is necessary to explain it for him. It might be more necessary for someone much younger than him to get enhanced powers, which I think he alludes to when he tells Luke that the dark side isn't stronger, but is easier, faster, and more seductive.

Darth Chiznuk , Skelter and Eryndil like this.
  14. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    He is powahful!

15. EMPEROR_WINDU

EMPEROR_WINDU Force Ghost star 5

Nov 23, 2002
    I would have to look it up to be 100% sure, but I'm quite confident it's there. I know it wasn't shown in the film.

16. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Probably because no other Jedi has the knowledge he has. And because not many other Jedi are from his species (thus, don't live that long).

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  17. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    Forget Yoda and blocking Sith lightning... that was soooo 1980's.
    Tutaminis.jpg
    This thread has me wondering if we'll see Tutaminis in the new trilogy?;)

18. Placeholder

Placeholder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 30, 2013

This pretty much sums of my feelings on it

19. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Yoda is one of the most powerful Jedi ever because of years of preparation and training.

20. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    Midichlorians. Lots and lots of midichlorians.;)

Count Yubnub likes this.
  21. Chewbacca89

Chewbacca89 Jedi Master star 5

Oct 25, 2012
    Yoda is secretly Darth Sidious in disguise. The battle between the two in ROTS is a crazy fight between his two personalities.

CT-867-5309 likes this.
  22. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    I miss the days when lightsabers could cut things like hands.

SithStarSlayer likes this.
  23. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    Now, they get snuffed like a derpy match.

24. Skelter

Oct 31, 2012
    Well, in the movie universe, no jedi has done what Yoda has.