main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Mark Hamill interview on ETOnline...states "They're talking to us"

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by braddrad, Feb 19, 2013.

1. braddrad

braddrad Jedi Youngling

Dec 7, 2003
  2. metr0man

metr0man Jedi Padawan star 1

Nov 13, 2012
    The comment about writing them out if they didn't want to do it was sort of revealing. We've already sort of figured this out I guess, but it does seem to imply that the OT characters will not be the main characters.

3. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    They are talking to them to tell them that they will have no part in the films... or...

4. Ridley Solo

Ridley Solo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 27, 2010
    OOOH...so they ARE being talked to! :D Let's hope it works out...I wanna see Jedi Master Luke on the big screen....[face_praying]

5. LANDO_ROCKS

LANDO_ROCKS Force Ghost star 5

Nov 28, 2002
    Fantastic news, I'm glad to hear that they would be written out fairly easily - definitely means that they will be bit-parts or cameos of sorts and it won't be 6 hours of old farts knocking around the universe in wheelchairs.

6. Darth_Zidious

Darth_Zidious Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2001
  7. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    When they said that they could be written out, what they meant was that the film would be pushed back to 2019, the writer would be fired, and they would have to start the entire script over from page 1.... but, you know... no pressure to sign the contract...

Darth_Articulate and The Bops like this.
  8. Luukeskywalker

Luukeskywalker Force Ghost star 5

Jun 23, 1999
    Mark's part could still be like the main mentor role of the movie. WHile the part could be big in terms of lots of screen time, I am sure they could write around it if he were for some reason to not be in the movie. Same really goes for Carrie and Harrison too. They could have big parts as written, but not necessarily essential to tell the story if you catch my drift.

LunarMoth likes this.
  9. LunarMoth

LunarMoth Jedi Master star 4

Nov 27, 2012
    Interesting stuff. I like that it seems he wants the whole gang back, and the old SW feel.

10. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    Sounds like it's them or nothin' as far as casting Luke et all which makes me happy - I'd rather them (Luke et all) not be in it if they were going to be recast for the ST.

11. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Gosh, I really hope they sign on and do so quickly. In all honesty my excitement would be slightly diminished if they were to have no part in the new trilogy. I would still be excited to see the new characters but I really want to see the torched passed rather than hear about it. I will still see it of course (probably many many times) but I really want to see Jedi Master Luke Skywalker.

Lee_, kataja, Poor Greedo and 6 others like this.
  12. Darth_Hydra

Darth_Hydra Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 14, 2001
    I'm glad that they're not going to recast Han, Luke or Leia. This also seems to all but confirm that the ST will be about the next generation of Solo/Skywalker kids.

13. Luukeskywalker

Jun 23, 1999
    I wonder WHEN this interview took place? The reason why I wonder this is because, supposedly as we sit here now Ford's deal is done and he is signed on and aboard according to Latino Review. According to Mark, they really haven't even met with Kathy and Arnt yet because they postponed their meetings with them and he specifically stated that they haven't signed any contracts yet. However, if you notice, Hamill did not mention JJ Abrams in the interview. He only mentioned Kathy and Arnt. I wonder if this interview was conducted several weeks ago before the JJ news broke. That would explain why he didn't mention meeting with him and only mentioned Kathy and Arnt. It would also explain how he said none of them have signed any contracts yet. Of course, if the interview was done a couple of weeks ago, lots could have changed in that time. They could have all signed on by now or now that Harrison is signed up, they could be finalizing deals with Mark and Carrier right now.

14. Sum-Wan

Sum-Wan Jedi Master star 4

Feb 16, 2013
    This is a confirmation that the story will be set decades after ROTJ and will be centered around their kids... I am a little disappointed I wanted the big 3 in their prime.. it's okay, just give me a great Star Wars movie and I'll be happy

15. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    "Both have had meetings set that were postponed -- on their end, not mine. They're more busy than I am."

Arndt and Kennedy were both too busy to meet with Luke freaking Skywalker??? [face_frustrated]

16. braddrad

braddrad Jedi Youngling

Dec 7, 2003
    I wondered the same thing when I read it...The article is dated with today's date (Feb 19th). I cant imagine ET would hang onto this for weeks though with everything episode VII going on right now...but who knows...

17. Poo-Do

Poo-Do Jedi Padawan

Nov 6, 2012
    - What a terrble comment. Just awful.

18. Luukeskywalker

Jun 23, 1999
    Yeah, but this trilogy HAD to center around their offspring with the Luke, Han, and Leia merely having supporting roles. Each Star Wars trilogy focuses on one generation of Skywalkers with the next trilogy focusing on the previous casts' offspring. That is the ONLY way to do this.

19. Luukeskywalker

Jun 23, 1999
    Don't get me wrong I love Mark. Always have, and always will. Luke always has and always will be my favorite Star Wars character. While I do agree with him that the OT had more humor and was more lighthearted than the prequels, and that it would probably be smart to maintain the tone of that trilogy since it is a direct continuation of the OT (wheras the prequels told the story of a tragedy and therefore had a more somber feel). And I do respect the fact that he is old school and wants more practical effects, but did he have to take the swipe at the prequels with the "videogame" comment regarding the CGI? I mean, come on. George is like family to him, and I just don't agree with taking that swipe at them considering his relationship with George. Plus, I know I have seen comments from Mark in the past where he seems to respect the prequels. No need for the swipe, but maybe its just me.

20. Leias_Left_Bun

Leias_Left_Bun Jedi Master star 4

Feb 18, 2013
    What a lovely interview. Thank you for posting the link.

Not really much in the way of telling us anything we didn't already know, but I love Mark's openness about this, and his humor. And I agree with him about making the next trilogy a bit more lighthearted and humorous.

J_Girl and Episode Swag like this.
  21. DarthMak

DarthMak Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 4, 2001
    Argh, the wait for an official announcement of the big 3 is just killing me! Yoda would kick me out of the hut for my lack of patience.

22. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    While I think the CGI from the PT is better than it's commonly given credit for (especially given when it came out), I don't really think that Mark's comment is nearly as harsh as you seem to be making it out to be. The man's entitled to his opinion, and he expressed it in a much politer and more balanced fashion than a lot of people I've seen.

Anyway, good to hear that they're apparently going all or nothing with the OT cast.

23. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    Great read, thank you!

I can now rest a little more easy - he pretty much confirmed that no re-casting will be taking place. I know the idea of a re-cast was a long shot to begin with, but it's still reassuring to hear it.

24. LawJedi

LawJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2009
    Yeah, Mark's not that bright about special effects, bless his heart. Honey, your job is to stand in front of the camera. Now sign that contract, and get on a treadmill.

25. gambit420

gambit420 Jedi Master star 2

Oct 14, 2003
    My problem is that Mark says during their meeting last summer that George wouldn't recast him. However Mark said the total opposite just in November:

...Until I know more about what they have in mind, I think it's better to let Lucasfilm make the announcements. If they were going to do a story where Luke was too young or too old for me to play, they would get an age-appropriate actor. There's so many good people."

http://www.eonline.com/news/366522/star-wars-7-mark-hamill-talks-returning-as-luke-skywalker