main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE
  2. ATTENTION: All leaks and rumors MUST be spoiler tagged. Information from official sources or the big trades do NOT need to be tagged

TV Discussion Fisto's Disco: The LACWAC Social Thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Current and Future Shows' started by G-FETT, Jul 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sgt Crowfield

Sgt Crowfield Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 27, 1999
    Oh, sure, I love some of the characters (and intrigues), Batiatus was a favorite of mine, too (but then again, I guess he's pretty much everybody's darling). Yet compared to, say, the first season of Game of Thrones Spartacus is rather reduced in content. Then again, it's another genre ...
    Or is 'compressed' a better word than 'reduced' to describe the series? Not sure. But IMO its focus is clearly on the eros/thanatos theme.

2. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Game of Thrones is on the brutal side for my tastes, but I'm still on the first season.

3. 07jonesj

07jonesj Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2010
    Finished my rewatch of Caprica. Holds up much better on a rewatch than it did when originally watching it. Epilogue is still awesome for tying it into BSG proper.

Oh, and after 2 years on this forum, I finally gave myself an avatar to celebrate it. :p

Sgt Crowfield likes this.
  4. InterestingLurker

InterestingLurker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2011
    Question: do you compare every movie you watch to Citizen Kane?

Sorry, but Game of Thrones is on a whole other level than most shows on television right now. Game of Thrones is great, but its not often that a series like it happens. When Breaking Bad ends this summer, there won't be anything like that for a long time but that doesn't mean I compare every show to it. Shows like Game of Thrones and Breaking Bad are a rarity, not the rule.

Sgt Crowfield and 07jonesj like this.
  5. 07jonesj

Aug 16, 2010
    Game of Thrones gets extra props for being an adaptation of a series of novels too. It's not often an adaptation is so good. There are usually readers of the books who dislike the TV series/film(s) but GoT seems universally liked.

Haven't seen any of Breaking Bad. Maybe I should buy the box set or something.

Kualan likes this.
  6. Kualan

Kualan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 4, 2008
    As someone who has frequented GoT/ASOIAF forums in the past, I can only say I envy you for avoiding that world of nitpicking and fussmaking, haha. Some people get ridiculous about the smallest of changes.

7. InterestingLurker

Jun 15, 2011
    http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/80233-who-despises-the-hbo-game-of-thrones-series/

Not necessarily... Readers of a book series that is being or has been adapted to a movie or TV show usually dislike it, as you said, but GoT is not the exception to the rule. When I look down at the comments in an article related to A Game of Thrones on IGN, I still read comments berating the creators of the show for not including certain scenes and characters. On Youtube, I read rants about the perceived "butchering" of the novels. Though to be fair, IGN and Youtube both cater to the idiot demographic.

Point is, you'll still find a lot of book fans that aren't pleased with the book adaptions. It happened with the Harry Potter series and it happened with the Lord of the Rings series. Haters never stop hating.

8. 07jonesj

Aug 16, 2010
    I do find it incredibly paradoxical that the seemingly most die-hard fans (the ones that spend time on forums) are generally the most critical of the thing they are following/experiencing.

The best example for this of recent memory (for me) is Mass Effect 3. The internet despises that game mostly because of it's ending, yet everybody I know IRL loved it. Crazy. I guess ignorance is bliss?

9. InterestingLurker

Jun 15, 2011
    I was never a Mass Effect fan, so I don't know what its like to find out that the ending to your favorite trilogy is ****.

Well, actually, I do. Has anyone else gotten to the end of Assassin's Creed 3?

SithStarSlayer and 07jonesj like this.
  10. 07jonesj

Aug 16, 2010
    Yep. The concept wasn't terrible, it was just that they seemingly lost interest right at the last minute, dropped having a final level as Desmond and spat out his story in 3 minutes.

Oh, and then left it on a cliffhanger that we don't know will ever be followed up on, as the 2012 plotline may not be featured again.

On the other hand, I loved how Ratonhnhake:ton's story ended, so that cushioned the blow that Desmond's story delivered.

11. Dark Lord Tarkas

Dark Lord Tarkas Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2011
    Awesome! I actually have those issues of Legacy, I'll have to pull them out and give them a read just to appreciate the inclusion of The Wheel now. Glad I could tip some people off about its origins in the Marvel comics series.

12. Sgt Crowfield

Sgt Crowfield Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 27, 1999
    In principle, yes. Yet it doesn't mean that I don't enjoy or love movies which don't meet [replace this with CK or any other movie you consider a masterpiece] standards. For example, I happen to love both 'Fight Club' and 'Metalstorm - The Destruction of Jared Syn', and I consider watching either of those movies high entertainment - yet for very different reasons.

13. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    Yeah, AC3 didn't really click with me the same way that AC2 did. That ending was so meh, I just put the game down and haven't picked it up in the thought of clocking it since.

As for GoT vs. ASoIaF I think that the changes in Season 2 were due to time constraints, and didn't really lessen the enjoyment whatsoever. That they're spending 2 seasons on A Storm of Swords (the best and my favourite of the series) makes me really hopeful they'll stick to it really closely, as Season 1 did. Also, each episode is longer this season: five to ten minutes so. This doesn't really sound like much but it actually equates to having a whole other episode!

Edit: SithStarSlayer, Barriss_Coffee, 07jonesj and all the other GoT fans: the S@ deleted scenes are now online due to the release of the DVD today!!!!!!!
    This channel has them.
    :cool:

14. ImNotAStarWarsFanboy

ImNotAStarWarsFanboy Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 25, 2011
    It's because we love the series so much that we are so outspoken about the terrible ending. It deserved a much better sendoff than what it got. Mass Effect 3 (and the trilogy by proxy) should have been BioWare's magnum opus, but instead they ballsed everything up by half assing the most crucial part of the game. That's why we're so negative. And I imagine the same explanation goes for any other franchise out there.

15. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    TCW had Sidious this season = GoT having the Red Wedding.

JackG and InterestingLurker like this.
  16. InterestingLurker

Jun 15, 2011
    The Freys can throw one hell of a party...

SithStarSlayer likes this.
  17. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    My wife is obsessed with True Blood but can't watch GoT because whilst True Blood is unbelievably violent and sex-crazed, it's over the top, whereas GoT is just realistic enough that she gets disturbed watching it.

I guess I'm glad she isn't desensitized to violence completely :p

Still explains why I haven't be out to see Django yet. :(

rumblewagon likes this.
  18. Coric

Coric Jedi Knight star 4

Jan 19, 2011
    [​IMG]

And that's all you need to know..

19. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Yeah, no more "generic male jedi" for you. :p

07jonesj likes this.
  20. AkashKedavra_93

AkashKedavra_93 Moderator Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 8, 2011
    My arrivals today:

Argo
    The Perks of Being a Wallflower
    Anna Karenina
    Game of Thrones: Season Two

I am quite content.

JackG likes this.
  21. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    I think I've set a record with this avatar. Been atleast two weeks since I've changed it. <<;

22. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    I still haven't seen Argo. My wife and I have had it on our list since it was in theaters but haven't gotten around to seeing it yet.

Yeah, that probably is a record for you... it would be for me too. :p I'm trying to keep mine longer going forward... we'll see.

23. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    Is this a challenge to see who breaks first. =b

24. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    Haha, sure. But I guess it depends... do you currently intend to keep it a long time, or are you already having thoughts about changing it? :p

25. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    I'm always thinking about changing. It would be extra motivation not to. =b

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.