main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Did Hayden do a good job as Anakin?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Rotticus, Oct 25, 2012.

1. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    Iv not seen him in anything else, so can't make a comparison unlike say Ewan with Shallow Grave and Trainspotting or Portman in Leon and Black Swan which is a case of a bad script but with her giving a good performance in-spite of it.

2. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    You mention Prequel Haters but the when the Clone Wars film was being made, they had both Chris Lee and Sam Jackson come back but said no to Hayden, does that mean they are haters too.

3. Garrett Atkins

Garrett Atkins Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 11, 2013
    I heard Hayden was good in Life as a House, Shattered Glass, and Jumper.

4. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Jedi Master star 5

Sep 21, 2012
    I think Hayden's biggest problem is his delivery of the lines and his voice, especially compare to Vader's voice we know. I once muted the sound and found his performance turned much better.

5. BoromirsFan

BoromirsFan Jedi Master star 4

May 16, 2010
    So Hayden wanted to return and they said no? Or they didn't ask him to return? Do you have a link?

I don't think not asking someone to return=they don't think they can do it. I think money is a factor too.

Mace Windu was barely in TCW and Christopher Lee is always up for a small role.

6. Placeholder

Placeholder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 30, 2013
    This really isn't a "prequel hater" issue. McDiarmid was fantastic as Palpatine. Acting is acting.

7. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    Well Ian is great but Palpatine does get better plot and portrayal, even though you can see the character of Palpatine turned down a bit when he was deformed, the later conversation with Yoda is a bit like comedy.

Anakin's character is handled differently, not to say it's bad but certainly a lot different than many people had in their mind.

8. Placeholder

Jan 30, 2013
    I think that's an excuse. Good actors can shine through even a bad part. The quality of the part, and the quality of the performance are two separate things.

9. GGrievous

GGrievous Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2005
    Lucas's writing

Lucas's directing

And then possibly Lucas's desire to edit than to direct actors. :p

I am not Lucas bashing, but I really have a hard time understanding the amount of hate toward Hayden. He does some roles better than others, especially in Shattered Glass (which was made after AOTC).

SithStarSlayer likes this.
  10. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    You think so? Sometimes he overacted so much it reminded me of Ming the Merciless. Awesome in a hammy way (like Will Shatner), but not good acting.

11. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    Ian was great as Palpatine but as Sidious - hammy and over the top at times for sure.

12. Game3525

Game3525 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 25, 2008
    She was good in TPM IMO, subpar in AOTC, and then really mailed it in in ROTS(Granted to be fair, GL didn't give her much to work with as a character in episode III).

13. Placeholder

Jan 30, 2013
    I enjoyed it, it was like he finally got to revel in being what he truly was.

14. Zapdos

Zapdos Force Ghost star 5

Jan 7, 2013
    He was in Life as a House and Shattered Glass.
    Jumper was a bad movie, but not because of Hayden.

15. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Wasn't he hammy in RoTJ as well? Albeit in an entertaining way.

16. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    Not if the character doesn't give them enough space to show it.

17. Placeholder

Jan 30, 2013
    We're going to have to agree to disagree with that.

18. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    Actually Lucas was trying to show us Anakin as some immature teenager and that's exactly what Hayden showed us, but many people hate Anakin being like this.

kainee and CaptainRegor like this.
  19. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    "At lassst the Jedi are no more..." -dude was so giddy over wiping out his enemy that he could barely contain himself.
    I enjoyed every second of his glee... makes getting betrayed by a Vader Jedi, even better.
    :)

EDIT:
    Merging.

20. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    I thought Hayden did a wonderful job as Anakin throughout the PT for the most part. Sure he got some hammy lines (like pretty much all the characters throughout the entire saga) but he was an inexperienced and insecure young man and Hayden really made me believe that. I didn't expect Anakin to be Casanova because he literally has no experience courting a woman and this particular one is the person he has been thinking about for the past ten years. I think it was totally natural for him to be awkward and Hayden captured that for me. His scene with his mother, the garage scene afterwards and his slide towards the dark side were all wonderfully acted IMO. He's just a very confused and damaged kid who is easy prey for a truly evil man and Hayden's performance really made me feel for him the whole way through.

kainee, lbr789 and Garrett Atkins like this.
  21. Garrett Atkins

Feb 11, 2013
    Exactly that.

kainee and Darth Chiznuk like this.
  22. CloneTrooperFox

CloneTrooperFox Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 27, 2013
    Well yea hayden did a great job as anakin. Attack of the clones he tore that movie up! Loved the scene where he killed the raiders/pirates that had his mom. I personally think he is a good actor who does not get enough credit. Seen him in a scary movie where all the lights went out in detroit and everyone vanished. He is great!!

23. Placeholder

Jan 30, 2013
    I think his acting is like a cross between a wet blanket and a cardboard cutout.

fett 4 likes this.
  24. Garrett Atkins

Feb 11, 2013
    I don't know, he seemed like a good choice for Anakin.

25. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    Mix in a little Sith lightning and u might be on to something.:p