main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion The Old Crew Back Together: A "Space Cowboys" Kind of Vibe?

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by TheBBP, Feb 20, 2013.

1. TheBBP

TheBBP Force Ghost star 6

Nov 6, 2012
    I was thinking about how things could go with Han, Luke and Leia being "too old for this" and if they get back to the semi bits of humor that were sprinkled throughout the OT. Would we get that sort of Space Cowboys (the movie with Eastwood, Jones, Garner and Sutherlan playing old Astronauts) vibe?

I think that would be a bit funny and could work well.

2. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Man, I hope not.

3. Echo-07

Echo-07 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2012
    I think those jokes are cliche. That movie -- Space Cowboys -- was mildly entertaining. Also, i don't think this will be a "get the band back together" movie as I would expect the Galaxy to be in the midst of a roiling civil war since the demise of the Empire, in which case the Big 3 have been hard at work all this time while trying to squeeze a family in on the side.

Will there be an "I'm getting too old for this ****" joke here or there? Most likely, but the wqhole story doesn't revolve around the Big 3 so it will be a quick hitter.

4. TheBBP

Nov 6, 2012
    I dig the cliches then lol. I know that the movies are not going to center on the original cast, but I would still like to see some of that.

5. bighairedaristocrat

bighairedaristocrat Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 6, 2013
    When Lucas originally conceived the idea of a sequel trilogy, he told Hamill he'd have a "cameo" in Episode VII. The "Big 3" will likely be very minor characters in the sequel trilogy.

6. Chrono85

Chrono85 Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 31, 2012
    I hope that all three have some fairly substantial screen-time, like Obi-wan from ANH. They can be important to the story without being the main focus of it.

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  7. Disciple-of-Tython

Disciple-of-Tython Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 12, 2006
    The Magnificent 77'

HankSolo and JainaSoloYJK like this.
  8. HankSolo

HankSolo Jedi Master star 3

Dec 3, 2012
    I admit...it would be funny if either Luke, Leia, Han, or Lando said..."I'm getting too old for this bad feeling stuff."

9. ShabbaTheHutt

ShabbaTheHutt Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 8, 2013
    There will no doubt be a new generation of characters coming through as well, and with Luke and Leia in their 60s and Han and Lando in their 70s, I'd expect that at one end of the new trilogy we'll see the return of those characters and by the end of it we'll have seen the demise of one or two of them.

10. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    Didn't Obi-Wan say in ANH "I'm getting too old for this!" or something like that?

What's to stop Luke from quoting that?

JainaSoloYJK likes this.
  11. KED12345

KED12345 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2012
    Personally I liked Space Cowboys, granted it was a "nothing special" movie that isn't very memorable, but as one could tell from my avatar I'm a space nerd as well as a Star Wars nerd. The little technical and cosmetic aspects about the Space Shuttle program that they got right made me geek out slightly. No Apollo 13 though (that movie was right in every single way for me).

12. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012
    I think the Big 3 will have minor roles & have a bit of old time humour to get things started for the new trilogy , then step back to mentoring roles & maybe play a big part in the end of the first film.....

13. Episode Swag

Episode Swag Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 9, 2013
    I think it would be cooler if they took an approach to them the way Old Snake was in MGS4. In other words, have the big three fighting alongside the young uns and still kicking ass. But every once in a while during a fight, they bend over in pain while grabbing their back or something. And it should be done in a way that tells the audience "yes they are too old for this. But they are too stubborn and dedicated to this cause to stop fighting." That would be sick and unique rather than them complaining about their oldness like the average grandpa.

14. jedimikey

jedimikey Jedi Padawan star 2

Oct 21, 2012
    Q to the O.P.

Have you seen R.E.D.? Excellent film, and if you liked Space Cowboys, you'll probably really like R.E.D.

15. EviL_eLF

EviL_eLF Force Ghost star 5

Mar 16, 2003
    No it won't be Space Cowboys. They will not be the lead roles. They will be handing off to the new generation of characters. This won't be a geriatrics version of Star Wars.

16. Jobertus

Jobertus Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 31, 2012
    Nope

In a manner of speaking, yes, but in the mentor/supporting roles as opposed to the main young protagonist/star roles.

17. TheBBP

Nov 6, 2012
    I have seen that movie and did enjoy it very much. Harry Brown is another good "Old man kicking-arse" movie.

18. TheManFromMortis

TheManFromMortis Jedi Master star 3

Nov 19, 2012
    _ _ _ _

I think we should all, by now, have learned that when George Lucas says something we should always take it with a pinch of salt. That isn't meant in an offensive way, but he does have a track record of saying one thing before doing another.

19. Darth Xalfrea

Darth Xalfrea Jedi Master star 4

Jan 2, 2013
    If it's at the expense of the original cast being reduced to lampshading their age and cracking "old" jokes, no thanks. Or at least, among Luke and Leia. Han and Lando can do it, but Luke and Leia are better off doing Jedi or Republic stuff.