main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Could there ever be C3PO without Anthony Daniels?

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by phatdude1138, Feb 20, 2013.

1. phatdude1138

phatdude1138 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 2, 2005
    I'm a 3PO fan and have seen Anthony Daniels in person a few times. I think he's one of the greatest characters in the SW universe, and to be honest, I don't think SW would be the same with out him (and R2).

With all the classic characters like Luke, Han and Leia, we knew being "mortal and human" that the characters would die off. Even Chewie (capable of living 400 years), he too would die off eventually.

My problem is 3PO could go on forever. As far as film making goes, could there be a 3PO without Daniels? Daniels is currenty 66 years YOUNG! Assuming he does the next 3 films, by the time EP9 is released he'll be 78. Still young, but I doubt he'll want to be shoved in the suit at that age.

My question is, if Disney continues to go beyond EP9, and if Anthony Daniels retires (or worse :( ) would you want C3PO to "die"? Or would you be ok with another actor being cast as him?

Episode Swag likes this.
  2. Darth Claire

Darth Claire Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2012
    Probably someday

3. jedi_jra

jedi_jra Jedi Master star 1

Feb 2, 2011
    He needs to lower his voice and slow down, he's become a parody of himself. PT 3PO is a parody of OT 3PO. I only want him back if he returns to being 3PO...instead of ACTING as 3PO.

4. Joe

Joe Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 25, 2012
    I think 3PO can live beyond Daniels. He defined the role and will never be surpassed in it, but there are certainly voice actors which could voice 3PO. Heck, they could just say he got a new vocabulator and have a different voice altogether.

5. akrunner

akrunner Jedi Padawan

Dec 16, 2012
    i would hope he has some better dialogue if 3PO comes back, and no ridiculous scenarios like him switching heads with battledroids while R2D2 flys around on rockets

6. yggdrasil311

yggdrasil311 Jedi Master star 3

Oct 7, 2004
    I agree with a lot in this thread.

C3PO can live on without him, being he can be CGI. Of course there is nothing better than real thing.

PT C3PO was a cartoon, like Roger Rabbit. He was so friggin' annoying. I really disliked him being on-screen.
    OT C3PO I very much enjoyed. He had a maturity and realistic neutral view to everything. He would usually speak his mind and be honest about everything. I've like to have him back.

I'm sure Arndt will do him and R2 perfect.

Pfluegermeister and BarkingFrog like this.
  7. gregvader123

gregvader123 Jedi Padawan star 2

Nov 16, 2012
    Anthony Daniels must be pumped about the ST

8. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    OT C-3PO was the best! C-3PO in AOTC was pathetic. Changing parts with a Battle Droid? Really? That's the best they can come up with?

9. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    Yes. Same with Mayhew and Chewbacca. I've never bought all this "They own those characters!" talk. They're completely costumed characters so, in essence, anybody can play them.

10. ForceJumpAnakin

ForceJumpAnakin Force Ghost star 4

Dec 24, 2006
    It never occurred to me until now, but the Iron Man suit reminds me of C3PO. Perhaps a hybrid could occur.
    Fe-PO

Artoo-Dion likes this.
  11. akrunner

akrunner Jedi Padawan

Dec 16, 2012
    i think 3PO was much better in ROTS, along with lots of other problems in the first 2 prequels Lucas and team had the cgi more realistic along with better dialogue and not so much silliness, it just took them 3 movies to get things right for the most part.

TreborSabreon likes this.
  12. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    I highly doubt it

13. ShabbaTheHutt

ShabbaTheHutt Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 8, 2013
    I reckon Alexis Denisof would be a good alternative.

14. Episode Swag

Episode Swag Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 9, 2013
    The droids are the two characters I want to see in every single Skywalker Star Wars movie. I mean we need something to connect the saga. These two characters are a grand way to do so.

Never really got the criticism for his head switching in 2. I thought it was a humorous throwback to the part in 5 when he gets disassembled. What was weird was that essentialy Vader made 3po. That was very strange, he should have just been bought by the heroes or something.

15. Darth Xalfrea

Darth Xalfrea Jedi Master star 4

Jan 2, 2013
    They've done R2D2 without Kenny Baker, and Darth Vader without James Earl Jones and David Prowse before. So I don't see why C-3PO without Anthony Daniels can't work.

16. LunarMoth

LunarMoth Jedi Master star 4

Nov 27, 2012
    C-3PO will wind up like the Kermit the Frog of Star Wars in that eventually someone new will have to voice him, and although it won't ever seem quite right, it will still be 3PO.

17. BarkingFrog

BarkingFrog Jedi Master star 2

Jan 4, 2009
    I thought I was the only one who felt this way. He totally hammed it up and ruined it in the PT.

18. Darth Xalfrea

Darth Xalfrea Jedi Master star 4

Jan 2, 2013
    From a certain POV though...PT 3PO and OT 3PO are different because of the memory wipe.

19. EviL_eLF

EviL_eLF Force Ghost star 5

Mar 16, 2003
    It's not going to take 12yrs to do these 3 movies. More like 6yrs... which would make Daniels 72, not 78.

Episode Swag likes this.
  20. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    Daniels is still available, he still fits in the suit... he is 3PO. What's the issue?

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  21. segask

segask Jedi Master star 1

Jun 15, 2002
    usually as people get older they put on weight. How the heck does Daniels stay so thin that he still fits in the 3PO suit in his 60's??

22. phatdude1138

phatdude1138 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 2, 2005
    What I meant by this thread is "beyond" EP9, or is for some "tragic" reason, could not be 3PO, would you want someone else to do it? Or should he be written out of SW?

I saw Daniels at Star Wars Celebration 6 last August and the man is in shape! He ran around a large auditorium, up and down stairs for 1 hour straight. He's twice my age, and even I was getting winded just watching him. I don't think we have much to fear for the next films. But beyond, I would always want a 3PO, even if it was another actor.

Padme501st likes this.
  23. darthtuttle

darthtuttle Jedi Master star 4

Apr 2, 2004
    C3PO is the type of character with which you could change actor and no one notice. You don't see his face. The new actor's voice can be altered. Mannerisms are easy to imitate.

24. lord_eidolon

lord_eidolon Jedi Grand Master star 3

Feb 2, 2004
    I would rather see 3PO destroyed than have some other actor do his voice.

JainaSoloYJK likes this.
  25. Darth Ibonek

Darth Ibonek Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 11, 2013
    Out of respect for Daniels, I don't think people will try to replace him as long as he is fine with it. But I agree with the fact that he can be replaced- Abercrombie and Lanter played their respective parts well in TCW, for example.

The changing voicebox idea is just lame.

Bo-Katan likes this.