main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Are we as fans too greedy for Star Wars?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Community' started by Darth Xalfrea, Feb 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth Xalfrea

Darth Xalfrea Jedi Master star 4

Jan 2, 2013
    In recent years, and during that period when the prequels were still new, I've seen a lot of hatred and angst because of the ruination of Star Wars. Specifically I've seen people state that they ruined "MY" vision of Star Wars. Common prequel criticisms I've seen is how they're not what viewers have imagined it.

Therefore, could it be possible that we as a fandom are greedy when it comes to Star Wars? How we hate certain aspects because WE as fans don't like it? MY vision this, MY Star Wars that, MY ideas and so forth, ME ME ME ME?

Are we pretty much like those birds from Finding Nemo? Flying around forums and George Lucas whining how it's unlike OUR Star Wars? The Star Wars that is MINE MINE MINE MINE MINE MINE MINE?

2. Sistros

Sistros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 24, 2010
    no..

we all have our ideas and opinions

we are vocal about sharing them that's all

intelligent men debate

not so intelligent men stay silent being spoonfed

benknobi1 likes this.
  3. Darth Xalfrea

Jan 2, 2013
    That would be good, if many of those "intelligent" men were actually debating and not whining and complaining. Then again, maybe it's because I've rarely seen, if ever, people actually being mature about the subject and not being so uncivilized.

anakin-the-chosen-one likes this.
  4. Sistros

Jul 24, 2010
    we're humans, we tend to do that a lot,

Star Wars is unique

it has fans of all ages, from all walks of life,

there are going to be varying degrees of opinions,

if that is whining at least they've come to the right place to moan about it

where do you expect them to go?

a trek board?

a glee fanclub? :p

Axle-Starweilder and benknobi1 like this.
  5. Darth Xalfrea

Jan 2, 2013
    Yeah, but at least on here, there's an equal amount of prequel supporters that balance it out.

The worst of the lot tend to flock around places like Youtube and Facebook, where the prequel and Lucas supporters get drowned by all the Finding Nemo seagull Star Wars fans that constantly shout MINE MINE MINE MINE MINE MINE MINE MINE MINE.

But I dunno. This falls into that age-old debate on what dictates the story: the storyteller or the fans. Do fans have a right to criticize what a storyteller ultimately wants to make? Should that storyteller even listen to its fans, or should they not?

6. Mirax Terrik

Mirax Terrik Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 11, 2000
    Fans have a right to criticize whatever they want. Ultimately we're the ones that are consuming the story. As far as the storyteller, I don't think they SHOULD have to listen. Ultimately it's their story to tell however they like.

benknobi1 likes this.
  7. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    Great question.

Art is in the hand of the storyteller. "Successful" art is when the fans "buy" in, in all senses of the word, what the artist created.

benknobi1 likes this.
  8. Sistros

Jul 24, 2010
    well to be honest I don't tend to take any notice of anyones comments on youtube, so i wouldn't know what "witty" comment they come up with that goes unmodded

fans have a right to critisize anything they want to

it's in the public domain, it's a work of art..

it crosses the line when it becomes personal attacking the artist himself (this case Lucas)

benknobi1 likes this.
  9. Darth Xalfrea

Jan 2, 2013
    And this is where I feel many cross that line too much.

The ever-so-classic "Rape my Childhood" for example.

10. benknobi1

benknobi1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2002
    <---- I love Star Wars. Does that make me greedy ? In a sense I suppose, but I wouldn't have it any other way.

11. Darth Xalfrea

Jan 2, 2013
    Greedy in a sense that we dislike what is given to us. Whining like little brats to mommy and daddy Internet because we do not get what we want in the toy aisle.

12. benknobi1

Jun 12, 2002
    So, if I understand correctly, you think that too many Star Wars fans complain about Star Wars not being as they want it to be... correct ?

13. Mirax Terrik

Mirax Terrik Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 11, 2000
    Personal attacks are pretty low. I think it's easy for people to go overboard with the comparative anonymity of the internet.

What's wrong with disliking something? Everyone has an opinion. I really don't understand what you're arguing anymore.

benknobi1 likes this.
  14. Darth Xalfrea

Jan 2, 2013
    Yeah, right on the ball there.

Disliking to the point where it's taken to an extreme, like personal insults or, as I said previously, complain about ME ME ME, MY vision, etc.

It should be reminded that these people who whine about their vision of Star Wars had their vision given to them by the original storyteller. So why go contrary to what the storyteller wants to tell when its his/her prerogative? It's like people complaining why Luke didn't kill Vader and ultimately triumph over the bad guy. Or why Anakin was so angelic when he was a kid. Or why Obi-Wan didn't just kill Anakin on the spot.

15. benknobi1

Jun 12, 2002
    Perhaps there are some Star Wars fans that whine and complain, but I do not accept that we, (Star Wars fans as a whole) are too greedy/behave like this.

Mirax Terrik likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.