main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Star Wars VII shoul NOT have a female lead

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by RAZORBLADE, Feb 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RAZORBLADE

RAZORBLADE Jedi Padawan star 1

Feb 13, 2013
    No Darth Boba

2. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    Now I think you're just trolling for the fun of it.

3. BlenderWars

BlenderWars Jedi Padawan star 1

Feb 20, 2013
    Thats very sexistic view dude. If Star Wars was just for Boys, than there would be no female cosplayers and that would be very boring.

I think there was also a shortage of cool and beatifull Females in the OT. There was just Leia and nothing else...

I think TCW at the moment brings some balance to the force. Its Lucas way to appologize to the female audience for Padme [face_sick]

4. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    If, in fact, you are serious about what you wrote up there I'll have to say that it is wrong on way too many levels to list here.
    Discriminatory, sexist, shortsighted, badly argumented, not fully thought through and downright dumb - just to name a few.

A strong female lead character would be a great thing, and in fact, it is something I'm hoping to see in the ST.

5. STARBOB

STARBOB Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 11, 2002
    ONE word for you, ALIEN. LT. Ripley was an awesome lead female hero.:D

6. Fleab88

Fleab88 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 12, 2012
    I personally prefer a male protagonist, but the reasoning of this OP is just.... Wow.

TreborSabreon likes this.
  7. Darth Claire

Darth Claire Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2012
    As a female this makes me facepalm

krtmd and BlenderWars like this.
  8. Pfluegermeister

Pfluegermeister Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2003
    As a male, I may not be able to entirely relate to a female experience of life, but I'm rather certain I can relate to a female character on a human level sufficiently for me to care about what happens to her, and I'm quite sure that goes for most of us males. We have female lead characters in drama all the time: I recently loved Jessica Chastain in Zero Dark Thirty, for instance. And frankly, after five seasons, and particularly after last week's episode, I'm quite comfortable with Ahsoka Tano as a female leading character whom I can follow in TCW without the slightest problem, whether the franchise is a boy's club or not. There haven't necessarily been female heroic leads that prominent in Star Wars before her, females as as prominent in the story as, say, Luke himself would be, but no one can convince me that there's no room for one simply because it's a boys' franchise, whatever the hell that's supposed to mean.

In any case, Razorblade, I'm quite convinced that for you, none of this is about the franchise or female characters; it's about you just jumping from thread to thread and yelling out your worthless ideas for stories. You just want to see your ridiculous Jedi-civil-war/Joker-style-anarchist/Han-as-mentor "plotline," or at least what part I could make out through your atrocious mangling of the language*. And the moment your ideas are called out as the bad fan fiction ideas they are, you just call people punks, like this is some kind of a Dirty Harry film, and try to pick fights. Hellhammer was right: if you're not a troll, you're becoming something awfully close to one. You're certainly behaving like a troll. And we don't need any more trolls here on this forum. [face_talk_hand]

* And speaking of that, can we pitch in and get this man some capital letters? It's clear he's running short on those.

9. Placeholder

Placeholder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 30, 2013
    I don't think I care one way or the other, as long as the character is good

10. Darth_Xeres

Darth_Xeres Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 3, 2010
    As a male, I want to apologize to all women who might read this thread's original post. I assure you, despite evidence to the contrary like the original post, the likes of which you must sadly encounter too often on the Internet, not all of us are retrograde, sexist trolls.

As for the issue the original poster brought up, his claim that males viewers will outnumber females ones 5-to-1 is pure BS. Every serious source I've seen indicates that Star Wars' fandom is about 50% female. It's high time all those ladies got to see a strong female lead character in the movies, particularly a really powerful female Jedi (this is my fondest wish for the ST, particularly if her name is Jaina Solo, which would be a nice nod to the EU). All the strongest Force-users we've seen in the movies have been males - Anakin, Mace Windu, Yoda, Sidious, Vader, Dooku, Maul, so a badass female Jedi who can go toe-to-toe against the mightiest Force-users in the galaxy would at least start to restore that particular balance.

11. BlenderWars

Feb 20, 2013
    And as a male i am joining you.

[​IMG]

12. Buddha Fett

Buddha Fett Force Ghost star 4

Dec 18, 1999
    Seriously? I happen to like women, both in film and in real life. They're neat. ;)

Episode Swag likes this.
  13. Pfluegermeister

Jun 30, 2003
    Got room for one more in there?

14. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    Not only is his opinion sexist it is non sequitur.

Anf BTW-My biggest heroes in my life are my mom and my wife.

15. BlenderWars

Feb 20, 2013
    Sure, there is always place for one moar.

[​IMG]

16. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    This kind of attitude is precisely why it should.

17. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    This chick begs to differ...

[​IMG]

Valairy Scot likes this.
  18. clone3131

clone3131 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2004
    Yeah, I agree. Star Wars films are for boys! And boys dont like girls. I mean, what boy would want to see a hot chick running around in tight clothing yielding a lightsaber? That would be awful!!

*facepalm.

-C

19. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    You must live in a time bubble where it is always the 1950's-60's. Is your favorite show Leave it to Beaver as well?

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  20. Pfluegermeister

Jun 30, 2003
    Or he must be young enough to still think that girls give him the cooties.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  21. Chrono85

Chrono85 Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 31, 2012
    This is nonsense :) The first two Terminator movies had a female lead, and the Alien movies do, and I always liked those when I was a young boy :). The Hunger games books are also quite popular among boys.

Episode Swag likes this.
  22. Zane the Reaper

Zane the Reaper Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 5, 2012
    One of the cool things about the OT is that the "damsel in distress" takes up arms with her rescuers, and is at least as tough and smart (probably smarter) to boot.

Bring on the female protagonists!

23. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002

JackG and Darth Chiznuk like this.
  24. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    You might be right due to the poor wording of the title of the thread.

25. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    OP you're certainly allowed to prefer a male lead in the film but the way you made your case is not only offensive but it is total nonsense. I can only speak for my own experiences but my family recently watched The Hunger Games (a film with a very strong female lead) and my five year old son loved it just as much as my daughters. To say that boys can't care and relate to a female character is ridiculous and can we please get past this sexist view that Star Wars is a boys only club. Star Wars is and always will be for everyone.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.