main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Could there ever be C3PO without Anthony Daniels?

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by phatdude1138, Feb 20, 2013.

1. Chewbacca89

Chewbacca89 Jedi Master star 5

Oct 25, 2012
    Yes he can be replaced. I dont understand why people get fanatical and insist no one else could ever portray a character like 3PO...

fishtailsam likes this.
  2. Poor Greedo

Poor Greedo Jedi Master star 2

Nov 6, 2012
    The droids are the only constant (besides war hehe). Gotta have em. Does it have to be Daniels? No. Would I like it to be? Of course!

Padme501st and fishtailsam like this.
  3. DarthMak

DarthMak Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 4, 2001
    The guy who plays him at Disneyworld is pretty damn good. Anthony Daniels will always be C-3PO, but classic Looney Tunes and Disney characters prove that they can live on with new voice actors.

4. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012
    3PO would live on but I'm sure Daniel's could voice 3PO into his late 80's so if 10,11 & 12 are made he will be there...........

5. fishtailsam

fishtailsam Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 30, 2003
    This.

C3po is so great because his character is supposed to be a sleezy 'yes-man'; but Daniels plays him like a polite butler. The disjuction between what he says and how he says it makes him 'feel' robotic. Thats why I think ANH C3po's diolog is the best. After that they started writing him as a butler.

Anyway, to the point of the OP; Daniels will voice the part as long as he phisically can. If he doesnt want to be in the suit, they will get someone else. And Daniels will train that person how to move correctly. I will be disapointed if they CG him; but as long as they Mo-Cap Daniels ala Gollum; it'll be fine.

Count Yubnub and The_Hellhammer like this.
  6. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    Yeah, no need to stuff him in the suit again if he's not up for it. It's rather tough to move around in that.

But he will definetly be able (and I'm guessing willing) to voice him.

7. Pfluegermeister

Pfluegermeister Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2003
    I've never had a problem with putting someone else in the suit, but I've noticed that very few people have been brought in to do the voice of Threepio besides Daniels; they've managed to find a backup voice for Vader that I can accept, but it's apparently harder to find someone who can match Daniels' vocals, and the few times they've tried, you can very much tell it's not him. I have no choice but to accept that eventually, someone will have to step in to replace Daniels; I just don't know if they've found the right man for the job yet.

8. DV75

DV75 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 30, 2001
    As long as Daniels is alive and well - he will continue to act and do the voice for 3PO.
    But I agree with everyone else here. Him in AOTC was really bad. A sad parody.

I hope we get a lot of the old-time droid interaction in the ST.

Oh and Chewie's costume in ROTS sucked. He didn't look like Chewbacca at all.

9. StoneRiver

StoneRiver Force Ghost star 4

Oct 6, 2004
    Agreed. I said as much in another thread. I didn't realise anyone agreed with me lol

10. BlenderWars

BlenderWars Jedi Padawan star 1

Feb 20, 2013
    Wait, was there not already a walking model of 3PO for TPM?

11. StoneRiver

StoneRiver Force Ghost star 4

Oct 6, 2004
    You are correct. But AD was controlling it :D

BlenderWars likes this.
  12. BlenderWars

BlenderWars Jedi Padawan star 1

Feb 20, 2013
    that sounds totaly.. 8-}

But definatly something Lucas would do. :p

13. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    His antics in AOTC never really bothered me that much to tell you the truth. I'd love to see 3PO back in some form.

Darth Chiznuk and lbr789 like this.
  14. phatdude1138

phatdude1138 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 2, 2005
    By the way:

Happy Birthday Anthony Daniels! (67 years old today)
    [​IMG]

15. Darthbane2007

Darthbane2007 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 31, 2007
    This always seems to come up in nearly every franchise. If future people want to use Optimus Prime for instance after Peter Cullen passes on, will the fans moan then?

When Billy West/Joe Alaskey/Gregg Burson voiced Bugs Bunny after Mel Blanc passed?, Did anybody complain then because it wasn't Mel Blanc?

16. DV75

DV75 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 30, 2001
    Well, when Jim Henson died, in my mind the real Kermit did as well. :_|

Kermit has never sounded the same since.

DarthBreezy likes this.
  17. Palpatine2016

Palpatine2016 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 12, 2012
    I like Tom Kane's C-3PO.

18. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Anthony Daniels is See-Threepio just as Peter Mayhew is Chewbacca. I'll be very sad to see the day that another actor plays him but I have no fear that he'll be replaced for the ST. That day may come but personally I really don't want anyone else playing him.

19. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Anyone who thinks that this character will not work without Anthony Daniels has obviously not seen Johnny Depp openly auditioning for the role while appearing in every film he has starred in since this millenium began...

20. Darth Claire

Darth Claire Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2012
    Its a sad inevitability that eventually *that is if the OT cast survive the sequel trilogy* they'll eventually have to recast. I like to think these characters will live on even after their original actors are gone. Refusing to use a character cause the original actor is gone is kind of sad. Its like this new whole "Nobody should ever be the joker again cause Ledger is gone". Eventually we're gunna have to recast. Maybe not this film, or even the next, but if these characters survive *and are still used in the next trilogy* then recast is inevitable.

21. bighairedaristocrat

bighairedaristocrat Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 6, 2013
    I agree. 3 actors have played Darth Vader. Two have played Obi-wan kenobi. We're possibly going to have someone else play a young Han Solo. If you ask me, replacing Daniels with another actor would be ridiculously easy.

22. Chewbacca89

Chewbacca89 Jedi Master star 5

Oct 25, 2012
    It's not like you even see his face! lol:p

23. Frank_TJ_Mackey

Frank_TJ_Mackey Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 6, 2000
    C3PO is cool....but he was shoehorned in the prequels.....I'm no fan of Tony Daniels....so I can easily imagine someone else voicing C3PO.

24. General Immodet

General Immodet Jedi Master star 5

Dec 5, 2012
    No! Daniels is C-3PO. I do not want to see a digitalized model for our golden droid. For R2-D2, okay, but for C-3PO, no!!!

25. Catsmeow

Catsmeow Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 8, 2012
    When he's dead yeah, put as long as he can keep playing C3PO I say keep him. Plus there are thousands of vocal actors out there that can more than likely do his voice just the same as Anthony Daniels.