main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Star Wars VII shoul NOT have a female lead

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by RAZORBLADE, Feb 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    The Hunger Games had a strong female lead, and it also made a crapload of money.

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  2. Lord Optimus

Lord Optimus Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 30, 2011
    There's always a bigger facepalm.

3. Zane the Reaper

Zane the Reaper Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 5, 2012
    Feels like there's a lot of troll threads today.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  4. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    You rang?
    [​IMG]

5. LawJedi

LawJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2009
    Here's what I've never understood about straight dudes. When you go to a party, do you literally go and only talk to the other straight dudes about straight dude stuff? Do you not talk to women? Do you not ever just have casual conversations with women that are not about getting into their pants?

I've never understood the dudebro push back against involving women in geek properties, for a very simple reason: women are awesome. They're involvement in stuff makes it more awesome.

6. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    We're not all like that I assure you. Some of us enjoy the company of the opposite sex and think you're awesome as well. :)

7. Game3525

Game3525 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 25, 2008
    Yeah.....this thread is a total fail.

8. obi_kenobi_24

obi_kenobi_24 Force Ghost star 4

Aug 17, 2003
    I hope the writers and makers just try an tell the best story they can....and not have to worry about the corporate check list that makes them force scenes and dialogue

What would be even worse would be having the list so obvious that people in the theater can see the stereotypes and cliches coming a mile away

Too much of our entertainment comes off that way as it is..games,music,movies are all overrun with it and it hurts the creativity

yodasbum and DarthBreezy like this.
  9. Lord Optimus

Lord Optimus Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 30, 2011
    I would love for there to be a female lead in the ST thus getting more girls to like Star Wars. This is Star Wars, not the He-Man Woman Haters Club.

10. Sum-Wan

Sum-Wan Jedi Master star 4

Feb 16, 2013
    I'm just wondering if and when the OP will reply to this thread.. Either he has nothing else to say and conceded or he was indeed just trolling to see what the reaction would be... in which case, with every reply we add to this he's having a laugh

11. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    This thread has pretty much run its (lack of) course.

12. LawJedi

LawJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2009
    You're taking a hyper-rational approach to a kinda creepy thought pattern. Does Hollywood try and make all entertainment "four quandrant" by inserting romance subplots into action blockbusters? Sure. But having a female action lead in a $150 million budget action film is something different entirely.

Call me when Marvel or DC can make big budget Wonder Woman or Black Widow movies without scaring off the 18-25 male age group. Or when Marvel is finally able to make a big budget Black Panther movie, without scaring off the international market that just won't go see movies with a black lead who's not named Denzel.

Star Wars is in a unique position of actually being able to have a female lead, because the lead in a SW movie is rarely the center of the marketing. Hell, the two most heavily marketed SW movies had a lead who was a 10 yr old boy, and a murderous lead who turned into Darth Vader.

Reveen likes this.
  13. Pfluegermeister

Pfluegermeister Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2003
    Points to you for the Little Rascals reference.

And everyone keeps mentioning The Hunger Games; granted that there are a hundred reasons the film was good, or at least better than it had any right to be in the Twilight era. But one thing that I absolutely have to agree was a definite reason the film worked is the indisputably-female lead character. She was well written, and I assume that started with the original book (you listening, E.L. James?); she was well cast in the person of Jennifer Lawrence, who delivered a fully believable performance with believable motivations and emotions. It was very difficult not to like and/or care about her character, and when that crucial piece of magic happens, a film becomes something worth emotionally investing in; she did her job so well that it was even possible to overlook the weird-ass costume and makeup choices they sometimes made in that film. That's all the evidence I need that, provided the writing and casting are done properly (and we have no reason to assume they won't be at this point), a female lead character would work in Star Wars if they chose to go with one.

14. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    That is exactly what a great number of them (unfortunately) do.

15. stellarmagic01

stellarmagic01 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    And that is probably why the divorce rate is around 50%...

16. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    Somehow you seem to have missed the many, many, many female fans on this forum.

Ahsoka is essentially the lead on TCW and it seems to be trudging along just fine.

Darth Chiznuk and LawJedi like this.
  17. A'den Skirata

A'den Skirata Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 26, 2012
    [face_not_talking]

18. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Oh, please... that distressed damsel was only there so the mens would have someone to liberate from her captivity in every film.

19. Echo-07

Echo-07 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2012
    This thread is an EPIC FAIL!

[​IMG]

20. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    Oh, please... that distressed damsel was only there so the mens would have someone to liberate from her captivity in every film.[/quote]

Quote Princess Leia "Somebody has to save our skins!" and it sure wasn't going to be the walking carpet!

:p

21. Ron Fett

Ron Fett Jedi Padawan star 1

Nov 1, 2012
    You, sir, make me ashamed to be male.

22. RAZORBLADE

RAZORBLADE Jedi Padawan star 1

Feb 13, 2013
    i agree, i want to see a female jedi, but she should not be the lead. the lead should be a guy, not for grown men like you or me, but for the young, pre-teen boys. these kids will be the one's dragging us parents to these movies again and again. they will be the one's wanting to buy the toys of their heroes. i know from my boys that they have no interest in playing with girl toys, and that my nie

23. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Poor Leia. She was a Disney princess waiting to be rescued before she ever became a Disney princess.

Episode Swag likes this.
  24. RAZORBLADE

RAZORBLADE Jedi Padawan star 1

Feb 13, 2013
    do they like star wars?

25. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    *AUrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrg!!* Teh horror! 8-}

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.