main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit A/V The Force Awakens and the EU [TAGGED spoilers.]

Discussion in 'Literature' started by TypoCelchu, Oct 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    This, and I'm pretty sure that particular trick has already been used at least once in the EU.

2. Tim Battershell

Tim Battershell Jedi Master star 5

Sep 3, 2012
    It's an advanced technique called 'trakata' according to "The Jedi Path". TLI, you are right, Corran Horn used it in his duel with Shedao Shai on Ithor.

Zorr, obviously one picks what sort of stroke to non-block!

3. Quinnocent-Till-Sith

Quinnocent-Till-Sith Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 21, 2004
    Watching Hamill evade a skilled bladesman with no weapon drawn and his eyes shut before taking them out with one Force move would be great...

4. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    Although it's now been done and wouldn't have the immediate "WTK? DID I JUST SEE WHAT I THOUGHT I JUST SAW?!" effect that it had in the TOR trailer with Satele Shan, I'd actually find it cool if Luke just casually grabbed a lightsaber attack in his hand, gave his attacker a look that said "Try harder", and then Force hurled him across the room.

Despite being done by Satele, Exar Kun had used a double-bladed before Maul, so something like that would still have the mainstream "OMG!" effect for the masses who wouldn't have seen it before.

instantdeath likes this.
  5. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    I think I'd prefer Luke holding somebody back, inches away from touching him, with the Force to physically grabbing the lightsaber itself. That's a bit too Superman for my tastes.

instantdeath likes this.
  6. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    This conversation is why you're all gonna hate VII when it comes out and Luke goes down Obi-style halfway through.

Jedi_Glover likes this.
  7. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    I will laugh if Luke and Leia die in the trilogy but Han lives.

8. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    If we take TPM and ANH as the model, Luke is the only one with any huge reason to kill.

9. CeiranHarmony

CeiranHarmony Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 10, 2004
    actually I'd love it on three conditions:

1) true Obi style: meaning he disappears before lightsaber even ever hits him, willing complete joining with the Force! not at natural death or after death by lightsaber

2) It is to make a point to the next generation as it was with Obi Wan. multiple points even

3) he does not wear black and never ever have a beard

instantdeath likes this.
  10. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    If Han's child is a major character, killing Han could always be a viable option, for the emotional effect on the character(s) and the audience. It'd almost be assured if Whedon was directing :p

[​IMG]

Zorrixor, Havac , Game3525 and 2 others like this.
  11. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Star Wars: Episode VII: Attack of the Beards!

12. CeiranHarmony

May 10, 2004

he can trim his chest hair up so it looks like a beard if you like... but Hamill and beard are two things that just do not look good together...well Obi beard that is..

I make an exception for only 1 beard style:

[​IMG]

keep it long and wizard and I accept it. all short beard styles suck on him. And I say that while sporting myself a good shorter beard.. so nothing against those in general ;)

edit: PS: and have him wear something under that robe... unlike Joruus there :p

13. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010

Nuff' said.

Valin__Kenobi, Ulicus and cthugha like this.
  14. cthugha

cthugha Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 24, 2010
    And he still has those incredible eyes [face_love]

15. CeiranHarmony

May 10, 2004

beard on him looks very bad.. especially this style here

16. The_Phantom_Calamari

The_Phantom_Calamari Force Ghost star 5

Nov 10, 2011
    I really don't want to see Luke die, personally. What is it that makes audiences constantly demand the blood of their heroes?

17. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    Ask Obi-Wan 36 years ago.

Blithe likes this.
  18. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    Indeed. S'one of the reasons I hate it when people are all "Obi-Wan and Vader's ANH duel is terrible!"

No, it's the duel where they both finally look like they know what they're doing. :p

Again, agreed. I really don't want Nick Gillard anywhere near the thing, if I'm honest. Ideally they'd resurrect Bob Anderson, but such things are beyond us at present. :(

And, CeiranHarmony, if you don't want THIS:

[​IMG]

... then you need to ignored forever more. :p

EDIT:

Though I agree I'd rather not have him black. Honestly, I'd like his Jedi robes to be more reminiscent of his Tatooine farm gear in colour. Actually, something kind of like this:

[​IMG]
    Would seem appropriate for Luke.

Zorrixor and instantdeath like this.
  19. CeiranHarmony

May 10, 2004

seen that bearded Luke picture elsewhere already.. and that is the prime reason why I do despise the idea actually... it looks horrible! no offense, my friend. he looks like an aged Ewan McGregor clone and nothing like Luke himself. it looks forced, he never had a beard before, never was his style. without a nametag I'd never have recognised him as Hamill or Luke in there even!

we had some nice aged Luke pictures in the EU that would fit his facial look and hairstyle I think.

and yub agree with you on the matter of clothes I do ;)

20. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    Here, most likely. Since I posted it before. ;)

Yeah? Most men have never had a beard before they first have a beard. The only reason it isn't Luke's style is because the EU decided to keep him chean shaven and lame.

Man, every single aged Luke picture in the EU is crying out for a beard. EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM. :p

21. Game3525

Game3525 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 25, 2008
    I would very disappoint if episode VII Luke doesn't have a beard......it is the ultimate sign of wisdom and respect.:p

Ulicus likes this.
  22. CeiranHarmony

May 10, 2004

a beard okay... but not Obi's beard... come on, there are more styles than "Jedi standard"... one could even make a Monty Python parody out of Jedi getting handed robes, sabers and fakebeards upon becoming a Master :p

actually I want Hamill to sport Kol Skywalker hairstyle with true Wolverine sideburns ;) we need a bit of retro hairstyles and looks to OT Sequels anyway.

23. CeiranHarmony

May 10, 2004
    poor Yoda... not wise he was, eh?

or Palpatine... or Plagueis THE WISE?

all had no beard ;) same goes for prime example of a balanced Jedi QUI GON JINN

then there is Mace Windu

well.. beards are exceptions, not the rule ;) heck you can find more jedi with a mustache than a beard in the visual dictionaries :p

24. Game3525

Game3525 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 25, 2008
    Please, if Yoda had a beard he would saw the Sith plot years ago.:cool:

Zorrixor and CeiranHarmony like this.
  25. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Of course there only needs to be at least one big lightsaber duel per movie, but I'd personally love to see lots of lightsaber conflict throughout each of the movies.

And it's not just the lightsabers, like I said, I want to see awesome contests of the Force.

Me!
    Jabba's sail barge, in fact the entire opening sequence for all the OT movies, are dreadfully boring. The sail barge had absolutely no tension once Luke had his lightsaber (except for the Han/Lando/Sarlacc part). Oh, and not once in the entire OT do we see a lightsaber slash through a stormtrooper. I can hardly recall any scene with the stormtroopers and the battle droids having tension (just the Droidekas in TPM, and Order 66).

I care.

Obi-wan and Vader did, though. And that was only the first time we'd seen them in use.

And yeah, I never liked Thrawn as a villain, Tarkin was ruthless but not dangerous, and (before ROTS) I always wished that we had seen Palpatine fight in ROTJ. Still kind of wish we had seen that.

Well, except for TPM, they were all PART of an epic war... as you said. And even in TPM, you knew the seeds were being sown for something much larger. You need to feel like the entire galaxy is at stake.

Yes, before the ST was announced, I was getting tired of the books always puttng the galaxy at stake... but this is the Sequel Trilogy we're talking about. In order to justify it, everything the heroes have worked for and won in the previous 6 movies needs to be at stake.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.