main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

It's Time For TCW to End.

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Garrett Atkins, Feb 21, 2013.

?

Should TCW end?

Poll closed Aug 21, 2013.
  1. Yes

13 vote(s)
    15.7%
  2. No

65 vote(s)
    78.3%
  3. Never should have been made

5 vote(s)
    6.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Garrett Atkins

Garrett Atkins Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 11, 2013
    Its been ridiculous since Season 1. It is time for this Canon-destroying show to end.

Sitara and Samayel_ like this.
  2. K'Kruhk

K'Kruhk Jedi Master star 4

Dec 11, 2011
    Nothing to see here, move along, move along.

3. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    Heck NO (it should not end). I enjoy it - even with the few craptastic episodes. It's one of the few shows I actually watch and look foward to. (For the record, I am familiar with a lot of EU canon - and not familiar with another large chunk of it.)

4. TrandoJedi

TrandoJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2011
    No.

I'm not fond of some of the changes to the EU, but the EU can be rewritten. This show is fantastic especially considering the past five episodes.

5. ImNotAStarWarsFanboy

ImNotAStarWarsFanboy Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 25, 2011
    No way, TCW is too much fun for it to end this soon.

6. The Shadow Emperor

The Shadow Emperor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 29, 2012
    Wait until Episode VII comes out. Then we'll talk about "canon-destroying."

7. Hank Hill

Hank Hill Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 9, 2013

Removed. Don't do that again.
    If you have an issue, PM one of the Forum Moderators. -Sx3

8. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    Sure it's added lots of stuff to the canon and destroyed lots of stuff, but the show is ultimately superfluous due to the multimedia project of 2002-2005 which covered this area comprehensively. The story's been told before, admittedly with much less Ahsoka(!).
    I voted for the third option.

9. AkashKedavra_93

AkashKedavra_93 Moderator Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 8, 2011
    No.

Even with a few horrifying episodes, this show really deepens the Saga for me. And this show has quite a few story lines to wrap u before it quits anytime soon.

CloneTrooperFox and Darthgoodguy like this.
  10. ImNotAStarWarsFanboy

ImNotAStarWarsFanboy Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 25, 2011
    I think the canon destroying is one of the best things about TCW, the other being its absolutely appalling writing. It's controversial. There's always people talking about it. People getting angry about it. And I revel in the ensuing chaos. It's hilarious, and I probably have the most fun on this forum ranting about how terrible each episode is. Honestly, I hope it keeps getting more and more outrageous.

11. Orrelios

Orrelios Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 21, 2005
    No, I think it should continue as of now; it has improved since Season 1 so it shouldn't end yet.

(and this is a troll thread, right? In that case, I think it should be put down).

12. Coric

Coric Jedi Knight star 4

Jan 19, 2011
    BTL
    Yes, eventually.

13. Garrett Atkins

Garrett Atkins Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 11, 2013
    Real mature, you can't handle people with different opinions than you. It is not a troll thread.

Sitara likes this.
  14. Spazmatron

Spazmatron Jedi Padawan star 3

Sep 19, 2012
    If its your opinion why didn't you put "IMO"?

Instead of stating that the show is "Ridiculous" like its fact?

15. BlenderWars

BlenderWars Jedi Padawan star 1

Feb 20, 2013
    Dude this subforum would also end without TCW and Liveaction series starting soon.

Please use ur brain before opening such threads.

16. Kualan

Kualan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 4, 2008
    The poll results would appear to speak for themselves. TCW has always been polarising amongst EU fans, but five seasons in and the dust has settled, I think.

Lazy Storm Trooper likes this.
  17. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    No way, this show is awesome, let the show continue!!!!!!

Sgt Crowfield likes this.
  18. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    Rewind the clock to 2006 or whenever news first broke that there would be a new TCW show and I hated the idea, I still hate the idea on principle.

The Clone Wars didn't need more development. It was a nice period to cover between films, but Jedi fighting droids is just so insignificant. The Jedi are being played. The Sith are controlling both sides and Palpatine is gradually shaping the Republic into the Empire. Nothing is happening to stop this. Palpatine will never be discovered to be a Sith by the Jedi (or said Jedi must die to not conflict with ROTS); The Jedi will never believe that they are being controlled by a Sith until the start entertaining the idea in ROTS; Dooku, Grievous, and Palpatine as principal villains of ROTS cannot die. Only secondary characters who do not appear in subsequent films have their fate left up on the air.

But finding out the fates of Maul, Ahsoka, Asajj and Rex isn't compelling enough to warrant season after season of this show IMO.

I was surprised that the quality of the show was better than I expected (or that I even liked the show). I think there are some excellent episodes. But I can't help but think that this show did not need to exist, that pretty much any other time frame of Star Wars whether it be the expansive Old Republic era, an OT era show, a Dark Times show, or taking place in the infinite expanse of time that exists for stories post-ROTJ, ANYTHING would have been more important than setting the show in the three year time frame of a staged war, with a main cast that we know the fates of, and that has already been covered by a multitude of books, comics, games and the microseries.

I want TCW to end, but I do not want Star Wars on TV to end. I don't know how many Star Wars shows LucasFilm is willing to put the resources into simultaneously. If they decided to make an Old Republic show (or pretty much any other non-PT era show) and air it concurrently with TCW, then I would stop wishing for the end of TCW. But with Detours and TCW and potentially Underworld (somewhere down the line), I figure that with the addition of any new shows the odds of yet another decrease. So really, I am hoping that they wrap TCW soon and move onto something else.

As much as I ended up liking TCW, a show set in another era could have been SOOOOOOO much better IMO as you would have NO idea what was going to happen next, as opposed to us sitting around wondering when they are going to touch on plots x, y, and z to bridge into ROTS.

I'm hoping that before Episode VII they do another microseries (or even miniseries with 30 minute episodes) to help bridge the gap between ROTJ and Episode VII and lead into the latter.

I was weary of TCW before it began. It surprised me with its quality, but there are frustrating limitations it inherently has.

So, I can't help but vote that it should never have been made.

I'll find it depressing if they are still developing TCW when Episode VII comes out. They will have spent 16 years in the PT era by that time.

Rebranding TCW as "Dark Times" and continuing the adventures of some of these characters into the ROTS-ANH gap would be a good solution IMO too.

Just get out of this era.

19. 07jonesj

07jonesj Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2010
    Soon. With pretty much every show, I have the rule that if it goes past 8 seasons, it's a living corpse. I guess Doctor Who would be exempt, even though I think it should have breaks or it will die out again.

So, definitely no more than 8 seasons. They should be building towards endgame soon.

20. QuangoFett

QuangoFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 11, 2011
    I personally prefer the PT era to the OT era as the setting of a heavily action-focused series. Hell, I prefer the PT era to the OT era full stop. I find the characters and plots more compelling, quite frankly. That there were plenty of good EU media releases set in this era between 1999 and 2005 was even more of a reason to want to see more of it. The Republic Commando series kept my interest in the Clone Wars era high, and TCW has developed the concept of clone individuality in an interesting parallel to how that series of novels did. Even the character of Anakin Skywalker has been enriched by his portrayal in TCW. The PT in general has been enriched by TCW. That alone makes TCW worth the expectedness of its ultimate outcome.

The Clone Wars are the closest the Star Wars films came to portraying a war on a massive scale, fought between two immense galactic superpowers, even if AOTC and ROTS only showed snapshots of the beginning and conclusion. The civil war shown in the OT is fought between a desperate band of rebels and an oppressive empire. That was asymmetric warfare, with a handful of relatively small-scale pitched battles deciding the fate of the rebellion before the final gambit at Endor. The Clone Wars are different. The Republic and CIS are superpowers fighting over political legitimacy. This is a proper war between the stars, effectively an American Civil War in space. It ends in a bloodbath and results in a new order being imposed.

So TCW was conceptually what I had been hoping for since AOTC was released: a fully visualised account of the IU equivalent to WW2 in terms of its impact. Out of all the eras in the SWEU, this one had the winning combination of elements to appeal to me. The execution of the series has often been shoddy. It has regularly failed to live up to its potential. The first season was far from great overall. However, the improvement shown in the animation and the writing became more evident with every new season.

I'm up for a new SW series set in the Dark Times era, the post-ROTJ era or the Old Republic era. However, I hope to see at least two more seasons of TCW before this.

21. Game3525

Game3525 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 25, 2008
    The show should only have 2 more seasons max.

The show has been great and I enjoy it over the EU, but the CW era has been beaten death for over 10 years now. I really want them to move into the Dark Times period, that period is a gold mine for good stories.

22. Joe

Joe Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 25, 2012
    Crap. I hit 'yes' instead of 'no'. I think that TCW - despite having several disappointing episodes - should be on for a couple more seasons.

InterestingLurker likes this.
  23. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    I guess I'm a total anomaly. Without TCW I wouldn't be here. The PT would just be above average popcorn flicks to me I'd seen like twice each and the OT would be just be good movies. I've been given books and comics before but I didn't care to read them. SW just wasn't my thing honestly. Season 1 of TCW caught my attention with 90s cartoon like campy goodness and curiosity toward familiar hero Obi-wan Kenobi and action dude Anakin Skywalker. There wasn't much more going for the show to hold onto an animation buff. Great animation alone does not impress me.

I recalled the Microseries that aired on Toonami for a while back in the day and although I like Genndy and his cool animation. It didn't really have the stories or give me enough of a taste of the mythos to keep me watching it religiously. That's where TCW really grabbed me introducing me to the larger galaxy, the clone troopers, and the cool mythos surrounding the Saga at large and the Clone Wars' era's very own mythos. It introduced me to Captain Rex, the coolest fictional character I've encountered in a long time.

I'm personally not ready for this journey to end. I want to see more of it. As TCW has gone on its moved away from the campy nostalgia and good feels it originally brought me in with although it remains a wonderful source of escapism in my life. TCW has gotten dark and dramatic in its storytelling and really is cinematic at times. TCW can go on as long as it once and I hope is eventually rebranded for the next part of the timeline.

24. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I'm glad the show was made to fill in the gaps between AOTC and ROTS. I know TCW multimedia project exists and I like several of the books, but there were still too many gaps. There is quite a bit that I wish had not been retconned, but for the most part I've still enjoyed the show. And as far as the crappy episodes--those are for MSTing after a few drinks. (I'm looking at you, Mortis.)

I don't care how long they keep the show running as long as it provides a smooth transition into ROTS and doesn't resurrect any more dead characters. Or retcon Labyrinth of Evil.

25. QuangoFett

QuangoFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 11, 2011
    I'd like to see a Dark Times series, but I disagree with the notion that the Clone Wars have been beaten to death.

A common criticism of TCW is that it doesn't focus enough on second-tier Jedi, be they established or original characters. TCW could easily broaden its scope a lot more but the writers have decided to keep the series focused on a handful of core characters for the purposes of the story being told. I imagine the Clone Wars era will get expanded a bit more after the animated series ends its run, as EU writers decide to show some of the adventures of these Jedi during the war. It's a big war, after all, much bigger than the Galactic Civil War, which itself is packed to the gunwales with 35 years worth of EU media releases. Both animated shows and much of the other Clone Wars media focus on small (but significant) parts of the conflict, through the perspectives of a handful of prominent characters. The EU can do much more than this, whether through a novel, a comic or a video game.

There will be a point when Lucasfilm Animation has to move on after TCW ends. Season 7, 8 or at most 9 should be the cutoff point for TCW, but the Clone Wars era will still be ripe for exploitation by the EU.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.