main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Mark Hamill interview on ETOnline...states "They're talking to us"

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by braddrad, Feb 19, 2013.

1. Pfluegermeister

Pfluegermeister Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2003
    Exactly. Keep in mind that these actors are in some cases as protective of their characters, or of the franchise, as we can be, and certainly Mark Hamill would have to qualify as one of those cases. An avid comic reader from childhood, he's always had one foot firmly planted in our proud geek culture in a way that the other two of the Big Three haven't, and so I have to assume he understands how important it is to get it right. If he's going to commit to this, it's only natural that he'd want to make sure the story does either his character, all the OT characters, and/or the franchise itself proper justice, or at least to make sure he's not going to end up in a nuked refrigerator.

2. Fleab88

Fleab88 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 12, 2012
    Notice that in the interview he mentions they will just write these characters out if the actors choose not to appear. That she be a pretty clear indicator that these characters will not be the ones carrying the movie, and rather doing a passing on the torch type mindset. Not sure how much tweaking the script would need if they write these folks out, but the fact that they can tells me your fear are unwarranted.

3. BlenderWars

BlenderWars Jedi Padawan star 1

Feb 20, 2013
    Kenedy and Arndt canceled the meeting twice, thats not a good sign. It seems Mark Hamil is a difficult Partner /Actor for them and his wishes (hiring all the old crew) is way to overstretched. They only will hire the big three and maybe Chewbacca and the both droid actors which are already in Lucasfilm business with PT and TCW.

I also think they will only have some cameos. They are planned for Cameos, not more. The fact Lucas claims (threatens) that they would delete their roles from the script shows that they cant be the main characters.

I think Harrison Ford Carrie Fischer and Hamil will have Cameos. Thats all.

4. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002

[face_rofl]

You haven't read a lot of stuff from or about Mark, have you?

First off, Kennedy and Ardnt have their hands super full, and are super busy - not just with Star Wars.

Second, Mark's an uber geek and is the first to admit it BUT he's also very good at keeping his mouth firmly shut. He's also got a wicked, self depreciating sense of humor (the quote was "they're busier than I am!")

Over the years, he's begun to actively embrace 'Luke'* while exploring other things - He won't 'let us down'...

*Favorite MH story - at C5, I was blessed to be able to sit with him during an autograph session. After we wrapped up, and the curtain was closed, we heard this ungodly wailing - Mark said 'open the curtain' and there in a stroller was a little 2-3 year old having a meltdown. Mark shouted across the floor "Hey Kid!" *Kids eyes bug out, being addressed by THE JEDI after all) "Real Jedi DON'T throw tantrums!" *silence* and then [face_rofl][face_rofl][face_rofl]

J_Girl, kataja, Padme501st and 6 others like this.
  5. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Well at least they won't be re-casting.

6. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Yes, they will simply do Luke, Leia, and Han with CGI. It will look seamless...

7. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Nah they should do em' as Muppets.

Pro Scoundrel likes this.
  8. Darth Claire

Darth Claire Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2012
    No CGI/use that Looper prosthetics on another actor to make them resemble the OT actors more. ;)

9. Trebor Sabreon

Trebor Sabreon Former Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 15, 2010
    I've never been one to yearn for meeting my heroes (although I wish I could've talked songwriting with Lennon and politics with Lincoln), but I'd sure like to make Mark's acquaintanceship.

10. DarthBreezy

Jun 4, 2002
    I was really afraid of meeting both him and Carrie - after all, who wants to find out after 30 years that the person they admired from afar turns out to be a real prat, but both of them, indeed 99% of the people associated with the films whom I've been blessed to meet are incredibly warm, funny people, and karmicly deserve all the success they get - there's only one person whom I wouldn't care if I ever had to see or interact with ever again, and everyone else seemed to think he was a putz anyway! [face_tee_hee]

11. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    Who's that? :D

12. LawJedi

LawJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2009
    Does his name rhyme with Pavid Drowse?

13. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    I admit it was me. :D

14. DarthBreezy

Jun 4, 2002

Oh no, it wasn't him - or R2, or any of the Fetts, or Chewie or Maul or Ewoks, or Lando...

15. LawJedi

Jan 11, 2009
    Shut up! Anthony?!

16. DarthBreezy

Jun 4, 2002
  17. LawJedi

Jan 11, 2009
    Wow. Wow.

18. BlenderWars

Feb 20, 2013
    No, not realy. I just heard about his voice acting for Joker and his little disput/complaint about George beeing not so warm or familiar with him. Cant remember the exact words but he seemed to be miffed that Lucas did not realy care about the old crew that much.

Dude thats not an excuse for canceling a meeting twice. Thats respectless behaviour of Kennedy and Arndt. Its not like they want to discuss the selling of Star Wars to Disney with Mark Hamill...If he does not want or his Demands are to overstretched, than possibly they cant come together.

Okey? :confused:

19. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    Dear, oh dear.

Count Yubnub and LawJedi like this.
  20. DarthBreezy

Jun 4, 2002

Since we are talking about Mark, I wanted to share a funny story about him - As I said, he's a nice guy and has fun with the whole thing these days.

J_Girl and Pro Scoundrel like this.
  21. BlenderWars

Feb 20, 2013
    Wait. Do you imply he is not 100% serious with this interview and trolling Kennedy+Arndt a bit?

Does he even want to be Luke again, if it is not the same as in the OT (Same Crew and that original SW Feeling)? As you say he seems to be the biggest SW Fan of all and if it is not real Star Wars in his eyes, maybe he dont want to be in this new Disney project? As a true Geek the money would not interest him, if he would sell his own ideals for it?

22. DarthBreezy

Jun 4, 2002
    I don't pretend to know what Mark is thinking, I can just go on what I've seen and heard. like everyone else. I DO however think that he does harbor a love for the franchise, he has had a lot of fun with it (especially over the last few years - his appearance in Jay and Silent Bob is a testament to that - worth watching just for his line "Don't **** with a Jedi Master, Son" [face_rofl]^:)^

Of COURSE he'd take the money (and be well paid for an appearance) - being a Geek (even a world class one) doesn't mean he can magically fund his interests and lifestyle (interesting to note that Alec Guiness did his bits in Empire and Jedi free - but that was when the franchise was in some hurt still) and I won't begrudge him a penny...

TreborSabreon likes this.
  23. LANDO_ROCKS

LANDO_ROCKS Force Ghost star 5

Nov 28, 2002
    Here's an example of the sort of role where you could write it for the character Luke or you could just put in an all new character.

Luke is training Jedi in the seclusion of the Endor forest, the location of the new Jedi Temple. The film starts with him training a bunch of young kids, he's on screen for maybe the first 5 minutes or so.

You could easily substitute him out and put a new character in there, he won't be central to the plot as that would take a major re-write (which seems to have been ruled out) or a re-cast (which has been ruled out).

24. LawJedi

Jan 11, 2009
    I wouldn't underestimate Mark's ethics about actor pay, or diminish them as greed. Mark has gone on the record as being VERY critical of the modern, corporate Hollywood's failure to adequately pay actors (or specifically offering percentage points, merch points, etc). He has gone so far as to namedrop the "1%" in the process in his studio critiques, and call himself very pro-union. Mark did not like seeing the Arkham games make billions, and none of the voice actors seeing a dime of the profits.

25. gregvader123

gregvader123 Jedi Padawan star 2

Nov 16, 2012
    It's been said years ago, decades even, that the ST would be about Luke passing his knowledge on to the next generation. That's the one thing that has been known about the ST since the beginning so I don't know why people have been speculating how major of a part each of the big three will have--they will be supporting characters--it's the only thing we can be certain about concerning the ST.