main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga What level do you put Revenge Of The Sith on?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Feelicks, Feb 20, 2013.

?

What level do you put ROTS on?

1. More or less on par with the previous two prequels

16.7%
  2. Best Star Wars film since The Empire Strikes Back

41.7%
  3. Better than A New Hope or Return Of The Jedi

8.3%
  4. Worst of the prequels

3.3%
  5. Best of the entire saga

28.3%
  6. Worst in the entire saga

8.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DRush76

DRush76 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2008
    I didn't select an answer from the poll, since none of them reflected my opinion. I tend to rank ROTS below ESB and AOTC. And I tend to rank the 1980 and 2002 movies at the same level.

2. drg4

drg4 Jedi Master star 4

Jul 30, 2005
    Apart from Tarsem Singh's The Fall, ROTS is the most undervalued fantasy film of the past decade.

In my neck of the nerd woods, once you start eviscerating this one, Star Wars and Empire are open season.

3. Cryogenic

Cryogenic Force Ghost star 5

Jul 20, 2005
    What level do I put ROTS on? Hmm, let's think about this.

I put ROTS on the level of a good film.

Easyz.

You know what I like about it?

The opening shot. And a million other things.

Simplez.

But you know why I really like the opening shot?

Beyond looking -- and sounding -- spectacular in a way that redefines the word, the opening shot, saying a thousand things at once, also says, "Hi. My name is George Lucas. I'll be your pilot for the duration. Our flight-time is two-hours-and-twenty minutes. Please remain in your seats and leave everything to me. No spitting in the aisles."

Awesomez.

4. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    My second favorite SW film.

Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
  5. StarWarsVerses

StarWarsVerses Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 14, 2013
    Tenth level.

It's got thousands of battle droids, dontchaknow.

Cryogenic and QuangoFett like this.
  6. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    IMO, it is the best Star Wars movie ever made, with ESB coming in second

7. SkywalkerSquadron

SkywalkerSquadron Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 2, 2013
    ROTS is my favorite Star Wars film.

8. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    It's as good as ESB.

9. lbr789

lbr789 Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 27, 2013
    It's one of my overall favorites.

10. Han Burgundy

Han Burgundy Jedi Master star 3

Jan 28, 2013

The Fall is an AMAZING movie. You, sir, get an Internet cookie for that one.

And I have to agree with you that ROTS is pretty under appreciated. First of all, it's probably the only cinematic Greek tragedy in the past 15 years. And more importantly, I think ROTS retroactively makes some of the "lame" plotting in episodes 1 and 2 better, because seeing all the pieces go into place makes you realize the brilliance of George's ideas.

11. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    I give it best of the saga, for a few reasons. First, I think it has the strongest performance by two leads of any of the films (Ewan and Hayden), they both gave brilliant performances. Secondly, it has one of the most memorable and powerful moments I've ever seen in a film, the Ruminations scene, which still makes makes my hair stand up on the back of my neck. Thirdly, I like the flow of the story- there really are no weak points/scenes that feel like I "endure" rather than "enjoy," which each of the other 5 films have, even though they are all excellent.

12. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    The ground floor.

13. Allana_Rey

Allana_Rey Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    Probably my third favorite film.

14. kryptonjedi

kryptonjedi Jedi Knight

Jan 26, 2013
    Revenge of the Sith would have to be my favorite film of the entire saga.

15. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    I'm afraid I have to rate ROTS as my least favorite SW film. The lightsaber fights were awesome and so was the opening space battle, but...

- I felt Anakin's turn to the dark side was too unconvincing.
    - Order 66, where most of the Jedi Order is wiped out in one stroke, felt contrived. And for the clones to unquestioningly turn their guns against the Jedi commanders whom they respected was just too unbelievable.
    - Obi-Wan doesn't try to redeem Anakin on Mustafar, he just goes straight to lightsaber mode
    - All those little bits trying to link to the OT (Death Star, Force ghost "immortality", Tatooine sunset) just annoyed me. I think this movie should have spent much more time showing how close the Jedi came to exposing and thwarting Darth Sidious, and how the OT might have never happened. Instead the last half hour or so of ROTS was just some pointless "linking" scenes that are rather devoid of any plot value.

16. Catsmeow

Catsmeow Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 8, 2012
    My favorite will always be Empire. But ROTS is still good despite its flaws.

17. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I agree with a lot of these, but they just don't really bother me that much (except for the first point, his turn was jarringly weak).

18. TheManFromMortis

TheManFromMortis Jedi Master star 3

Nov 19, 2012
    _ _ _ _

I definitely agree with that last point.

19. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    ROTS is my favorite of the prequels, and tied with ROTJ to be third place overall. My general order is TESB, ANH, ROTS/ROTJ, AOTC, TPM.

20. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    Off-topic, but I'm surprised at how "even" the split on whether people preferred AOTC or TPM is. I think the latter is unquestionably the better film.

21. dolphin

dolphin Chosen One star 5

Nov 5, 1999
    I'm watching the opening scene of ROTS now and there is a huge lens flare shot as the camera "descends" to the battle. No joke.

:p

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  22. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    You'll find they are totally obedient, taking any
    order without question. We modified their genetic structure
    to make them less independent than the original host.

order without question.

order without question.

23. SithLord_1270

SithLord_1270 Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 5, 2008
    For me, ESB is my favorite, RotS is a VERY close second.

24. TheWolfmanGuitarist

TheWolfmanGuitarist Jedi Youngling

Mar 6, 2013
    ROTS - best of the Prequels.
    It was a big step up from AOTC - the pacing alone spelled out "THIS is Star Wars" to me.
    Brilliant turns from Ewan McGregor, Hayden Christensen, Ian McDiarmid and Frank Oz! General Grievous was surprisingly fun - just commanding, menacing, deadly and a cowardly weasel all in one. The kind of villain that would tie a girl to train tracks. End of the Clone Wars, the fall of Anakin Skywalker and the rise of Darth Vader, Palpatine's ultimate reveal and the fall of the Jedi (that montage!), Obi-Wan and Yoda's desperate attack against the Sith and finally a war-scale space battle in a PT film!

Even though there were some awkward choices - dialogue, line deliveries - you have to give props to actors who can disappear into these kind of over-the-top roles. Hayden was pretty solid and McDiarmid was just mad on power.

Yoda's warnings to Obi-Wan from TPM about taking Anakin on as a Padawan come full circle, here. There's that kind of notion of "you created this monster, now you have to deal with him" as Yoda leaves Obi-Wan behind to go face Sidious. And the Yoda/Sidious scene. For me this was just the biggest pleasant surprise at the time. I knew Obi-Wan was gonna go beat up Anakin but I had no idea we'd even get a scene between Yoda and The Emperor. That was just so cool. And when you think they can't top Yoda VS Dooku, look at the way Yoda just strolls into the Emperor's office and starts mouthing off LOL

In terms of all 6, I have more fun watching this one than most of the others, but I can't say this is a in my top 3 favourites.
    Definitely the best of the PT though.

25. Darth_Harmon

Darth_Harmon Jedi Master star 4

Jul 4, 2005
    Empire is my favorite of the OT, Sith is my favorite of the PT. I think ROTS did a far better job acting as an epic finale to a trilogy than ROTJ did. There was far less filler for starters. Sure I love me my Jabba, but ROTS was far more focused on the overarching saga and prequel trilogy. Some equate Palpatine's rescue with Han's rescue, but the entire Palpatine rescue featured far more important moments than the Jabba sequence ever did. We got to see Obi-Wan and Anakin working together, strengthening the "old friend" we hear about in ANH, Anakin killing Dooku, Anakin beginning his turn towards being Palpatine's apprentice, Palpatine testing Anakin's friendship with Obi-Wan. Jabba's Palace, meanwhile, reintroduced us to the main characters, brought back Han, showed a bit of Luke's growth as a Jedi, and introduced a number of villians who were quickly killed off. Again, I love Jabba's Palace but it just didn't contribute to the overall plot as much as ROTS did.

I do think that the SE of ROTJ is a stronger conclusion, almost on par with ROTS, but at least with ROTS Lucas nailed it on the first try and didn't have to come in years later to re-edit and re-compose his idea for a finale.

---

I do, however, place ANH above ROTJ and all the prequels. It's pure Star Wars, defining just about everything that followed and really is a classic film. Only movie that outdid ANH was ESB.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.