main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph What was the last movie you saw?

Discussion in 'Community' started by TheEmperorsProtege, Aug 15, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Merlin_Ambrosius69

Merlin_Ambrosius69 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 4, 2008
    The Campaign (2012) -- Rented this because I like Will Ferrell and I love Zach Gallifinakis. As it turns out they have made an awful movie together. Granted, I did laugh out loud several times -- as is to be expected; these are funny people being paid millions to make us laugh -- but the film does not hang together as a piece, and is largely disappointing. Zach is basically playing his fictional twin brother Seth (seen on his 2009 DVD), an effeminate Southern man with fixed ideas about morality and ethics; while Will plays his usual amoral lunatic with a thin veneer of socially acceptable behavior. A good number of lines fall absolutely flat and, given the talent involved, one wonders what went wrong. Presumably it's the script, which is not as sharp as say, Talladega Nights, a film which brilliantly straddled the extremes of absurdist humor and a moral center, with characters you genuinely care about, while its events seem close to believable in a real world sense. At no time in The Campaign do we ever think this is taking place in a real world setting, and so the purported moralizing falls flat. Still, there are some funny bits (a thousand darts thrown at a target will yield a few hits), and it's worth watching if you're a fan of either actor. 2 1/2 stars!

Life likes this.
  2. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    Looper. Exceedingly, amazingly good. About one of the best SF flicks I've seen in a very long time. 5/5 stars from me.

3. Merlin_Ambrosius69

Aug 4, 2008
    The Grey (2012) -- One of last year's best -- and least talked-about -- films. It's not an action movie, despite being marketed as one and having been directed by the guy who made The A-Team and Smokin' Aces; it's a psychological thriller and survival film. It's deep and potent and frightening, it made me weep and yell at the screen, it made my palms sweat. Some of it is perhaps heavy-handed, and at least some of the deaths are predictable/telegraphed, but overall it's masterfully crafted, acted, filmed and scored. How many ways are there to die? Watch this movie and find out.

Life likes this.
  4. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Juno: Started out hating due to the excessive hipster dialect (I don't know what else to call it), but I ended up really enjoying it. But seriously, was the whole town run by a council of hipsters who demanded that people must use outdated terminology when referring to topics?

The Raven: God what an idiotically stupid film that could have been so much more. The twist ending isn't obvious, it's just that I didn't care. John Cusack was horribly miscast in the role too. Should have gone to John Hawkes who would have been phenomenal.

Life likes this.
  5. Drac39

Drac39 Force Ghost star 6

Jul 9, 2002
    Most recent was 'Dredd'. I didn't really care for it all that much. To be fair the film has a lot going for it in the sense of visuals and general style but it is plagued by a really contrived story and some lousy acting. I am not a Karl Urban fan and you need a stronger lead in a character as static as this. saw it because it was being hyped as this brilliant film that revives the action genre and it really does a lot of cliches I've grown tired of. 'The Matrix' type slow mo is recycled at nauseam here.

6. Frank T.

Frank T. Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
    Cloud Atlas for the 5th time

Probably the last time I'm gonna get to see it in a theatre.:( I may try to find a way to visit one of the countries where it just released.

Master_Jacen and Life like this.
  7. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Jeepers Creepers

8. Frank T.

Frank T. Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
    Songs From the Second Floor

A really good movie that I will watch over and over. I've already ordered the DVD and will rent You, the Living as soon as I can.
    The movie was strange and interesting from start to finish.
    There is not an explosion, no gunfire and I don't think the camera moved even once.
    It's must see for fans of films by Bergman, Tarkovskiy or Jodorowsky. Also seek out this film if you are looking for something different.

Life likes this.
  9. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012
    The Haunted Mansion

10. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    You have my sympathies.

11. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012
    Um okay?

12. Drac39

Drac39 Force Ghost star 6

Jul 9, 2002
    'Argo', it starts off brilliantly but towards the resolution of the picture Affleck indulges in so many thriller cliches that it kind of takes away from the overall effect that the film had. Goodman and Arkin are terrific and I wish the film had spent more time with their characters.

13. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I really disliked that movie ;).

The first part where they're ripping off Duel is pretty decent, but everything devolves into characters constantly making the dumbest decisions imaginable- which is saying a lot for a horror flick like this. Most horror flicks are allowed to have a character o two make one (maybe two) really dumb decision if it serves the plot. Here, they're constant. I was squirming in my seat when I saw it in theaters it was so bad.

Oddly enough, the sequel wasn't too bad.

14. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    searching for sugar man. god, what an incredible story. i'm not sure if it was the best of the oscar niminated docs, but definitely the most entertaining.

i also watched amour. i appreciate it as a powerful film about a subject that most filmmakers wouldn't touch, but man it was really hard to watch. riva definitely earned her best actress nomination but trintignant was robbed. his role was the much more emotionally complex of the two i thought.

15. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012
    Well, I for one, enjoy the Jeepers Creepers movies, but i will respect ur opinion on it

16. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Quest and I have had this argument before. He's wrong; that's all it is.

17. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    And this dispute shall go on eternally. I will not give in to one of the worst theatrical experiences I've ever had! :p

Rogue1-and-a-half likes this.
  18. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    yet you watched the sequel...

Rogue1-and-a-half likes this.
  19. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    There was enough potential in the concept that I was willing to give it a second go with a different creative team behind it. Plus, horror films tend to have at least one sequel better than (or as good as) the original (though the further into a series usually the worse it gets), like ANOES3: Dream Warriors, for example.

20. MrZAP

MrZAP Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 2, 2007
    Silver Lining Playbook, last night. Plan to watch Lincoln, Wreck-It Ralph, and The Impossible today.

21. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012
  22. Merlin_Ambrosius69

Aug 4, 2008
    Why don't you people actually review the movies you've watched? Otherwise this thread is just a list of movies. At least give us a line or two telling us if you liked the film or not. "Hitch" and "I plan to watch Lincoln" offer absolutely no insight into anything and make me immediately question why I clicked on the thread.

Don't mean to offend, calling it like I see it. [face_plain]

Life likes this.
  23. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Hitch

:p

Never seen it actually.

Life and Rogue1-and-a-half like this.
  24. LifeInTechnicolor

LifeInTechnicolor Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 3, 2012
    The Woman In Black.It was okay,but every time I thought I thought it would get super scary,it would fall flat of my expectations.It had a lame ending as well.

25. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    the master. like most p.t. anderson films, i appreciated it but didn't really like it. very gutsy, oscar-worthy performance from phoenix, though i think it will go to day lewis who is equally deserving.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.