main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Who's The Baddie?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by fishtailsam, Oct 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Death T

Death T Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 12, 2012
    Ok. But in order of appearance, it's really 1) Vader 2) Sidious 3) Maul 4 ) Dooku. They haven't really been making the antagonists progressively closer to the heroes like you insinuated. Anyway, how can you make the villain in the ST someone the main characters are all emotionally attached to? Leia turns to the dark side? Either way the new villain will be new to the audience. Besides, Plageuis could play the Master while his apprentice is someone that 'hits closer to home'. You can get the best of both worlds.

Summer Dreamer and Lord Optimus like this.
  2. Darth Downunder

Darth Downunder Chosen One star 6

Aug 5, 2001
    Not really keen on Plagueis. I have some better ideas:

Darth Annoyis
    Darth Inconvenious
    Darth Grouchous
    Darth Inconsideratus

I've uncovered some gold here. Will write in to JJ

3. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    To answer your question, if Vader had a secret apprentice, of course Luke would feel emotional attachment. He never had ample opportunity to know his father. The secret apprentice would probably know more about the person Luke dreamed about since he was a little child than anyone else.

And a sibling of Sidious could in a way be a dark twin to Jaina. One "evil" from the start, one "good" from the start. Jaina would have to ask herself if her being a Jedi was really a choice of preprogrammed from the beginning. And how to deal with a villain who might as well have turned out good if he were raised by a different person?

It is easy enough to connect a new villain to the saga. A secret apprentice of Vader or Sidious could work. Or, as I've already said, a sibling of Sidious.
    Both options could be quite interesting because it opens the door for the villain to be motivated by more than hunger for power.

4. Dra---

Dra--- Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2012
    Tonight I'm believing that a female villain makes a lot of sense. 1) Female action heroes and villains are popular now. 2) We haven't seen a female big bad in the PT and OT yet.

I'm also beginning to hope more and more that there will be some pulpy serial roots at play with the ST. I'm going to start researching, starting with Flash Gordon, old serials for titles and possible plot influences. :-B

5. Darth Claire

Darth Claire Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2012
    I say an easy compromise between Plagueis and new would be something like this: Plagueis serves as an "Emperor" type role. In the background and the shadows while his apprentice *a new villain* does most of the villain-work. There we can get Plagueis *to make you guys happy* and a new villain *to make me happy*. Everybody's happy in the end[face_dancing]

Summer Dreamer and Lord Optimus like this.
  6. Deejo

Deejo Jedi Padawan star 1

Jul 22, 2010
    I would be ok with Plagueis and a kick ass apprentice, but I want them to come up with something new that perfectly fits with the 6 other movies, and doesn't seem to be tacked on coz Disney want more dosh..

These creatives are pretty much the best money can buy, they goddamn better be able to come up with something better than all of us on a forum.

I want to be blown away by the new villain!

I have always liked this Maul concept art, it could be used for a female villain.
    [​IMG]

Summer Dreamer and Darth_Pevra like this.
  7. Darth Claire

Darth Claire Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2012
    Well there's my nightmare for the next couple weeks

8. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    Wow, that's one hell of a creepy lady. I dig it.

9. Lord Optimus

Lord Optimus Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 30, 2011
    This is what I was hoping for, I wouldn't mind if Plagueis had a small group of 3-5 new Sith though, instead of just one apprentice.

Summer Dreamer likes this.
  10. Lord Optimus

Lord Optimus Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 30, 2011
    I'm personally pulling for Darth Plagueis, but here's another option I've been joking around with.

IG-88 growing rapidly smarter by the second decrees that droids are superior to biological creatures in every way.

For the past 30-40 years he has colonized an abandoned planet in the unknown regions of the galaxy and has set up factories manufacturing a new droid army. His new army is completely different and far more threatening than the droid armies of The Clone Wars.

With their numbers strong he declares war on all life and even starts a droid revolution throughout the galaxy. Many protocol, astromech, medical, mechanical, labor, and security droids now see him as their liberator.

They could have IG-88 wield a lightsaber with out being force sensitive, similar to Grievous, so there could still be lightsaber duels.

IG-88 could be like the Ultron of Star Wars, imagine something similar to Ultron from Marvel Comics with an army of T-800 Terminators.

11. LunarMoth

LunarMoth Jedi Master star 4

Nov 27, 2012
    A couple points that some still seem to be missing:

1. Whoever the villain is in the ST, he/she has to connect to the rest of the story. If not, this would be a roboot and not Ep VII.

2. If Plageuis does wind up the villain, he probably won;t be revealed as such until VIII or IX. I would expect to see an apprentice in Ep VII doing the dirty work. This would be natural Star Wars villainy.

12. run_luke_run

run_luke_run Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 18, 2004
    I had time to read through the novel again recently, and I have to admit, my mind might be shifting a bit towards this being a strong possibility. Knowing that Lucas was heavily involved in the novel itself adds a little to the pile of possibility, plus this character has some depth to him, not to mention that it is essentially laid out for you that he is the one who created Anakin in the first place...I guess that makes him Luke's grandpa? :)

And you can't really argue around the idea that Moth brought up...there has to be connection...and yes, if it did happen, I would prefer it remain in the background, so to speak, until 8 and 9.

13. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Or that the Force created Anakin in response to something else Plagueis did. Lucas once said in an interview that he thought the Force created Anakin.

Darth Chiznuk and CT-867-5309 like this.
  14. Placeholder

Placeholder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 30, 2013
    Lucas said that because he hadn't thought up Plagueis yet, Lucas says lots of things. The guy is all over the place.

15. Arawn_Fenn

Jul 2, 2004
    He had thought of Plagueis by that point. ROTS was at most a few months from release and principal photography was long since finished.

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  16. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    Indeed. Plagueis did not create Anakin; the Force created Anakin, in response to Plagueis' and Sidious' efforts to shift the Force out of balance.

17. Arawn_Fenn

Jul 2, 2004
    That seems to be what the author intended, but he left it ambiguous, apparently on purpose.

18. run_luke_run

run_luke_run Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 18, 2004
    Yes, yes...I know...point being, perhaps Luke will become fascinated with who this "father figure" really is...(wouldnt you?)...and discover the origins of Plagieous....and so on, and so on...

19. Placeholder

Jan 30, 2013
    I don't think they even mention any of that. I think they will steer plenty clear of Plagueis, the prophecy, balance of the force, midiclorians, chosen ones and divine births, all of it.

KevinM1 likes this.
  20. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    However unlikely that Plagueis will be the main villain in the ST, I do think he has the strongest bid of all the characters we know of.
    The fact that he was explicitly mentioned in the movie gives him a considerable advantage over other EU characters that only fans have heard of, for the most part.

I would like to see him in some movie or series sometimes, and wouldn't even mind him being the villain in the ST - but I think that is highly unlikely.

21. Placeholder

Jan 30, 2013
    I think it's highly likely we are going to see something completely new.

KevinM1 likes this.
  22. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    So do I :p

But it's fun to speculate.
    And we now have no information on the story whatsoever, so we're left to speculate about stuff we know about from SW hah.

23. KevinM1

KevinM1 Jedi Master star 2

Nov 15, 2012
    As well they should, because none of those things actually mattered much to the story.

While the new villain needs to thematically relate with those that came before, there's no real reason to use Plagueius other than his name has been floated once before. Someone stumbling on Palpatine's work/influence and modeling themselves after him would be just as effective. There are plenty of things to tie the PT and ST together (Naboo, Coruscant, looking back at the old Jedi Order, etc.) without needing to delve into bad fan fiction.

Remember: the vast majority of the movie going audience doesn't care about Plagueius. It's a name like Nar Shadda, or Bothans, or anything else mentioned in passing. The scene where he's mentioned also mentions the irony of his death. That's an important plot point. No matter one's power, they cannot cheat death. While it makes sense for a Sith in their inherent selfishness to try, everything we know about life and death in that universe (that's canon) is that death cannot be cheated, and death is yet another transition to another stage of being. Luminous beings and all that. It's a cornerstone of the setting and the basis for much of its spirituality. I don't think that it should be shattered because of a name we heard once in the films.

I'd much rather have a new villain that we can see grow and change. We've already had two villains that were, at first, powerful, mysterious strangers who slowly become familiar and intimate with the protagonists. I'd like to see the opposite - someone close to the protagonists distancing themselves and becoming unknowable in their downward spiral.

24. Placeholder

Jan 30, 2013
    I love your point about the irony of his death, I wish I could like that 1000 times! Why people want to screw that scene up is lost on me.

Unchosen One and Darth Claire like this.
  25. Fleab88

Fleab88 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 12, 2012
    It simply just doesn't screw it up for everybody. I think the mistake we often make in speculation (because both sides of this discussion are purely speculation) is that we assume everyone else feels the same way we do. For instance, I think plagueis is currently the best choice, but I also get it is a difficult concept for others to wrap their heads around for whatever reason.

For me personally Plagueis being alive does not ruin that scene for me. It still tells me Palpatine relished in his belief of killing his master, but it would now also show me his arrogance in his pride in believing he actually succeeded. I think some people can't handle the thought if a villain upstaging Palpatine. The reason people can "ruin" that scene with this idea is because they simply view it differently.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.