main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series The Petition to Disney: Save The Clone Wars

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Watto, Feb 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Watto

Watto Force Ghost star 4

Dec 13, 1998
    BlenderWars I appreciate your respect for my posts... I'm not always serious in posting, I like to have fun with the Clone Wars also, but I am a serious fan and would be seriously bummed if it got cancelled. This could be as you said, just a test of the fan love, and putting us on the edge of our seats for this season finale. But, there are other signs saying that its not a joke, and the show may not air after this season. Why not politely let the powers that be know how much we love this show? Let our fandom shine, right? There is no harm done with that kind of response. :)

Darth Ibonek likes this.
  2. BlenderWars

BlenderWars Jedi Padawan star 1

Feb 20, 2013
    Right.

I wonder if Disney just plans a DVD Bluray release of the last season? That would show their hatred for TCW and earn them still good money out of it. Something the evil mouse empire would definatly do i guess.

3. Darth Ibonek

Darth Ibonek Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 11, 2013
    As long as they plan on a box release- I haven't bought any of the blurays yet because the sizes aren't the same (petty details I know... but still [face_batting])

Bo-Katan likes this.
  4. Watto

Watto Force Ghost star 4

Dec 13, 1998
    They'll do a DVD/Blu-ray for Season 5....

If they choose not to broadcast potential Season 6 episodes, i see them stringing together the arcs as straight to DVD/blu-ray movies for what's completed. That's one nicely organized thing about the decision to do 4-part arcs, it creates potential for 88 minute movies, as we saw with the "Darth Maul Returns" DVD release. For instance, a DVD release for Clovis arc, one for a potential Clone arc, a potential Boba Fett/Bane arc, a Maul arc, and maybe a return to Mandalore arc.

However, we don't know what they'll be allowed to finish before Disney pulls the plug, so it could create a mess for the arcs that have episodes that aren't finished.

5. BlenderWars

Feb 20, 2013
    Bob Iger seems to have fooled Lucas?

I read an interview in the past where Lucas claimed that Iger has published young indy series in the early nineties, even if it was crap. Because of that Lucas trusted him and sold. And now if Disney cuts TCW than he shows Lucas the middlefinger practicaly.

I cant believe friendship is something that cheap in the entertainment Business knowadays?

6. 07jonesj

07jonesj Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2010
    You all realise that Disney isn't Satan, right? They're a company that wants to make money. Almost all of the entertainment you enjoy would not have been created if not for the profit incentive.

There's nothing to worry about.

7. rezpen

rezpen Jedi Master star 4

May 4, 2010
    It's also being said that Kathleen Kennedy isn't into the show. It seems like they are trying to drop anything prequel era related like a hot potato which is disappointing considering this show has been the gateway drug for so many kids to get into Star Wars.

8. rezpen

rezpen Jedi Master star 4

May 4, 2010
    No I think fans have a right to worry. Lucas made a lot of money true, but he loved this stuff and seemed willing to do things not with profit solely in mind but because he was having fun doing it and loved Star Wars and the story. If they cancel Clone Wars on top of canceling/postponing EP 2 and 3 then I am worried for the future of Star Wars.

9. 07jonesj

Aug 16, 2010
    They announced 5 new Star Wars films intended for theaters. What were you like in the late 1980's to early 1990's period? Star Wars has never looked so safe, and ready for the future.

Well, the people making the product are less interested in money. They cancelled 3D Ep II/III because nobody cares. Even Sony are giving up on 3D now.

TCW would most likely be given a chance to do a final arc in case of any cancellation, on top of Season 6 and maybe even most or all of Season 7. It might be a good thing if Kennedy pushes Filoni's team - they need to get a move on and start setting up endgame anyway.

10. QuangoFett

QuangoFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 11, 2011
    An endgame has already been set up. I recall that either Brent Friedman or Matt Michnovetz tweeted a month or so ago that the writing team (presumably including Filoni and Lucas) had already decided on an ending to TCW. Filoni later specifically mentioned the importance of Ahsoka and Rex.

It's not like they've been sitting on their thumbs, not sure of how they'll end TCW. They have an ending and all that remains to be decided is how they'll get there. If Disney ends TCW prematurely ("derp let's alienate most of the audience"), the show's long production times would make it hard to actually get there.

11. Watto

Watto Force Ghost star 4

Dec 13, 1998
    Lots of ASSUMPTIONS here. Everyone is entitled to opinions of course. However, just because they are pushing Star Wars films out there, doesn't mean Disney is pushing ALL Star Wars out there, they seem to be focusing. This is coming from internal Lucasfilm contacts apparently. Granted its hearsay, but I'm giving Jimmy Mac the benefit of the doubt.

12. BlenderWars

Feb 20, 2013
    well...there are actualy rumours..o_O :p

I dont care about their money makin as long they dont touch my favourite TV Show. No one forced them to buy Star Wars. No one can tell me that TCW is not a profitable show. Its their own fault if they cant do the merchandise properly. I mean just look at hasbro fiasko. Its homemade. Anyone knows that Ahsoka is the favourite of the kids, but they did not even made a figure with her diving suit from season 4 (or even manage to create a figure which actualy looks like her. just zombies), or a figure of that bonteri clown (All that crazy fangirls would buy him and go asleep with him..[face_sick]). Instead they produced thousands of clone figures with just changing the color sheme of the armor a bit. Fugly geonosians and crap like that. Very creative. =D=

With such decisionmakers no company can be profitable. They are not visionaries like Lucas or Steve Jobs.

But Jimmy Mac says otherwise. I believe him.

13. hlc88

hlc88 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    Please give me a quote and a link from the creators of the show that have said this show is in danger. Thank you.

V-2 likes this.
  14. Gallandro

Gallandro Force Ghost star 4

Jul 8, 1998
    Why? I love the rumor that Kennedy isn't that into the show... Why on earth would she even be concerned with the show, she's a film producer and was brought in by Lucas to shepherd the film division originally. Heck, I'm willing to bet she's never seen the show let alone have enoough information to form an opinion about the show.

Yancy

GunganSlayer likes this.
  15. Gallandro

Jul 8, 1998
  16. BlenderWars

Feb 20, 2013
    I think this is all about Money. TCW has a budget of some 40 - 50 Million Dollars per Season. I think Kenedy wants to cut that money to throw it at Jar Jar Binks and his bad robot crew. So they can make awesome lensflare effects all over Episode 7.

Until Today i think they have produced 1/2 Season 6. There are still some maybe 25 million dollars budget which can be cut away from TCW and be used for Abrams "Vision" [face_sick]

Note:
    I have read that a Episode was around 2 Million dollar budget once. That was some years ago and the numbers here are just assumption of me.

07jonesj likes this.
  17. 07jonesj

Aug 16, 2010
    Well, let's be realistic here, none of TCW crew would come out and say they're in danger of being cancelled, even if they were. They'd face the possibility of being blacklisted from anything Star Wars or Disney related, most likely.
    I know you don't care about their money-making, but they don't care about you unless you're giving them money. Harsh fact of life. That said, word of mouth can save a show. It's pretty likely FRINGE would not have made 5 seasons had their fanbase not drummed up PR on Twitter, and shown their love of the show.

Let me be frank with Hasbro's figure line - it sucks. The quality is terrible. I used to collect Doctor Who figures from Character Options, and the quality of those figures was always 10x that of any Hasbro figure. God forbid you bought any character wearing a cloak from Hasbro. At least their new Black Line seems to be stepping it up.

Disney are pros at making money. What other company could get away with re-releasing their films every 5/10 years, or making Cinderella 4 and it still selling well on DVD? They also own The Avengers, which was the highest-grossing film of last year. To claim Disney is not a good business is just incorrect.

Jimmy Mac really enjoyed "Secret Weapons". I appreciate what he has done for Star Wars podcasts, but I don't just outright believe everything he says. Yes, I get that he apparently has inside contacts, but there's no point fear-mongering.

Seerow and QuangoFett like this.
  18. Gallandro

Jul 8, 1998
    I posted this over on the Star Wars Prequel Appreciation Society blog. Pretty much sums up my feelings:

While I signed the petition, I feel the hand wringing over The Clone Wars is fairly silly and based on observations from people either from Disney who are not terribly close to the situation or maybe some in the Clone Wars production who really don’t have access to the business end the production. I suspect these sources are purely speculating:

Cartoon Network: Much has been made about CN schedule announcement for last year, but people fail to realize their schedule announcement for next season was incomplete. There are still numerous gaps in the schedule, and if memory serves there are two other shows that are expected on the 2013 schedule which were not announced either.

I’m sure a lot of their hesitation in putting TCW on the schedule had more to do with the Disney purchase and what that meant for the future of the franchise. However, if CN signed a standard broadcasting contract for the show with Lucasfilm they would have right of first refusal over TCW. So ultimately it would be up to them. I suspect a couple of things have contributed to TCW not being on the schedule.

First, the initial speculation on the internet that TCW was moving to Disney XD following the Lucasfilm purchase was probably news to CN and likely lead to the second issue, namely the possible negotiation of a financial settlement to move the show to a Disney channel if CN opts out. As CN more than likely holds right of first refusal they could in fact demand some financial compensation for the show, and if Disney doesn’t want the show, then no harm, no foul, they would simply sign up for another year or for the show. Heck the fact Lego Star Wars is on the CN schedule tells you Disney does not hold all the cards in regards to Star Wars animated properties.

Disney: A lack of official announcement from Disney means absolutely ZERO about the future of TCW. Disney wouldn’t even be able to issue any kind of statement at this time as CN is still under contract for the show.

Additionally, why in the world would any exec from Disney “hate the show” as it skews to both younger males and can attract girls through Ahsoka (assuming she lives)? Frankly, I doubt ANY Disney exec has even watched the show anyway. Additionally the assumption has been Disney putting the show on XD, but in fact a Star Wars property would likely be better served on the Disney Channel itself or ABC Saturday mornings.

Proof of the cancellation of 3D Star Wars as relevant to The Clone Wars: The two have nothing to do with each other. Disney’s ownership of Star Wars and Lucasfilm likely had little, if anything to do with the postponement of Star Wars in 3-D. Work was pretty far along if not complete for AOTC and ROTS, so the “story” about needing to pull resources for Episode VII really doesn’t hold up to scrutiny. The reality is FOX, which still owns the distributions rights to the Star Wars films until 2020, likely pulled the plug on this project and Disney/Lucasfilm went into damage control mode to spin the story.

The reality is TPM underperformed… it’s that simple. Additionally the last two years have show audiences have little interest in revisiting older films converted to 3-D, the only real exception to this was the Lion King. The Toy Story releases performed poorly as did Beauty and the Beast; Titanic did modest business, as did TPM. The recent 3-D release of Top Gun was a flop and privately Universal (according to reports) is sweating out their upcoming Jurassic Park 3-D release, and some 3-D converted releases have even been canceled. Most famously, Disney dropped their plans for a 3-D release of The Little Mermaid after spending quite a bit on marketing on the project.

3-D conversions are simply dying, that’s all… nothing to do with The Clone Wars, it’s just business.

Cancellation of The Clone Wars toy line: Again really doesn’t mean a lot. While I’m sure collectors aren’t too happy the fact is the line wasn’t selling anymore, and Hasbro made a financially strategic decision. Heck I’m not even sure Hasbro knows what they are really doing right now as this year’s Toy Fair announcements seem rather scattershot.

Keep calm folks…

Yancy

hlc88, QuangoFett and 07jonesj like this.
  19. BlenderWars

Feb 20, 2013
    yeah the megaflop of John Carter shows how good disney is in creating good own movies/ideas...

Avengers is Marvel. Running around and buying visionary companies is a sign of lack of visionary qualities from Disney. They just can buy, buy buy like Uncle Dagobert. :p

Beside of that Disney earns most of its Money with ESPN and stuff..nothing that would let my fanheart beat faster.

20. Watto

Watto Force Ghost star 4

Dec 13, 1998
    We don't have that, you're right. But I am not going to wait that long to speak up.

21. kryptonjedi

kryptonjedi Jedi Knight

Jan 26, 2013
    Doesn't George Lucas contribute to the show? I mean he no longer runs LucasFilm which is now owned by Disney. I'm probably wrong, but doesn't he have any say on whether or not the show gets canned?

22. hlc88

hlc88 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    Which is why I asked because Watto seemed to be implying that an actual verified member of the team had said something like this. All Watto is achieving is causing worry among the fans by posting baseless facts.

What do we know for FACT?

The team have not been told to stop making the show. I think at this point IF it was in danger or being cancelled, Disney would have made that decision a few months ago because it is now THEIR money that is being used to make the show, and not continue to allow the team to make it. Season 6 (and very recently voice recordings were being completed which could be for Season 7) is being animated.

We also know that an ending for TCW has been devised back in 2012 at some point - if they are still 3 years ahead then that would have the show end in 2015 which would fit well with Disney allegedly wanting to capitilise on the new era of Star Wars. At the moment, the Clone Wars is really their only avenue of gaining any money until the new films start. They cancel it they lose.

V-2, 07jonesj and Gallandro like this.
  23. 07jonesj

Aug 16, 2010
    Officially, probably not, but his word will likely still hold a ton of weight, I imagine.

24. Watto

Watto Force Ghost star 4

Dec 13, 1998
    Gallandro I appreciate your full analysis of the situation. That's good stuff actually, and it gives me more hope. But at the same time, the fate of the show is ambiguous, and as we know companies do not always make decisions that we would consider wise.

I'm with you on not fear-mongering, but perhaps we could treat it more as just fan appreciation for the show. The Clone Wars does not seem to have a large Facebook or Twitter following, so it doesn't hurt to get more active there in addition to the letters we discussed. They do use these channels to gauge demand, though admittedly we can't be sure if that will factor into marketing decisions. As I said before, it certainly would not hurt though.

07jonesj likes this.
  25. kryptonjedi

kryptonjedi Jedi Knight

Jan 26, 2013
    Isn't Lucas after the sell of LucasFilm one of Disney's largest shareholders? I think that would give carry some weight.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.