main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC JediWarrior And Connemara Missing In Afghanistan (Update: What a ****show.)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Fire_Ice_Death, Feb 21, 2013.

1. Fire_Ice_Death

Fire_Ice_Death Force Ghost star 7

Feb 15, 2001
    He did want to be a war journalist. I remember that causing a bit of a tiff at one point.

2. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006

3. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Aw man... do we really need to Montie this thread?

Point Given likes this.
  4. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    No really, me > than you. But this thread is not about me and you so move on because a mother may be dead in a foreign land and her baby with her. You are really not that important to the topic.

5. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    We need to Montie every thread.

6. Spider-Fan

Spider-Fan Jedi Master star 4

Jul 15, 2008
    Guys. Shut up. Thanks.

7. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    You should just start a Montie thread, and then you can Montie that thread forever, and ever.

8. TahiriVeilaSolo69

TahiriVeilaSolo69 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 27, 2002
  9. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    And I'll take pleasure in viewing it.

10. Kiki-Gonn

Kiki-Gonn Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 26, 2001
    I remember them both but not very well.

It's an incredibly strange story, I just hope that against the odds they are alive and return soon.

11. Eeth-my-Koth

Eeth-my-Koth Jedi Grand Master star 9

May 25, 2001
    Not to be morbid. But she probably died before having the baby which technically means she was not a mother. Hmm...this is an interesting thought. Are prego women already mothers. I'll be curious to hear an answer from somebody pro life.

Ender Sai likes this.
  12. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    I can answer that. Forget to get a pregnant woman a card or something on Mother's day and you'll find out!

13. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    they are but if they try to use the HOV lane u best believe even the most hardline prolifers are gonna give em the stinkeye

Handmaiden Yané likes this.
  14. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000

Well, in a lot of places if they're murdered then the baby does count as a separate life legally. I'm pro-life so to me it's always a person, but I think if someone is planning on having that baby then it doesn't really matter where you stand on abortion because the mother's intent was clearly to have and raise that child, not to abort it. So this child would have been born, and the loss of that intended life is the motivation behind things like double homicide laws for pregnant women being killed. This isn't about abortion, it's about murder. Not that I want to drag on that debate, I just thought I'd respond to your query.

Eeth-my-Koth likes this.
  15. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    Not much to say beyond that a ransom demand after them being missing nearly a month is pretty bad, if that's what happened. If it's any comfort, missing American civilians are near the top of the list for intelligence priorities overseas; if they're still alive we'll eventually find them.

16. Handmaiden Yané

Handmaiden Yané Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 15, 2002
    Wow, this is bizarre. I almost didn't believe it when Kate told me today, but that news story link definitely confirms it...

While I tried my best to be friendly to Connemara, it wasn't always easy and I haven't spoken to her in years. I sincerely hope that her and her husband are okay, but all signs point to that being extremely unlikely.

Also, I don't really understand how it can be that hard for them to stay either in Canada or the US after they were married?

Just...wow. I can't really wrap my head around this. Why would anyone (unless you're in the military and ordered to go there) go to Afghanistan?!

17. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I remember both of them from years ago and wow. Just wow. I hope they're OK. :(

18. GenAntilles

GenAntilles Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 24, 2007
    When I was in college about a year ago we had a speaker come to one of our education classes who told us about his time as teacher in Afghanistan. I've known about 6 or 7 others who have been there in the past 3-4 years. All of them have returned safely and have said they'd love to go back. They tell me if you respect the locals, speak the language, dress like them, they'll accept you as one of their own and no amount of terrorist bravado would make them EVER give you over to them. The the speaking to us about it told us he felt safer walking in that Afghan village then he did in America. I believe he and his organization are based mostly in the Northern part of the country. The only reason he left was because his wife got pregnant so they went back to the states, but I believe he said he and his wife and child plan to go back in a few years.

19. Darth McClain

Darth McClain Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2000
    I didn't know either of them well, but this is just crazy to think about.

20. Lowbacca_1977

Lowbacca_1977 Chosen One star 7

Jun 28, 2006
    Only commenting on this because of the "I think ... it doesn't really matter where you stand on abortion" part.... I would say I 100% am of the stance that if someone is pregnant and murdered, that is only one death and only one murder.

MrZAP likes this.
  21. Kyle Katarn

Kyle Katarn Force Ghost star 6

Jul 10, 1998
    Some US states have tried murderers of pregnant women with two counts of murder instead of just one. I cannot cite a particular case offhand, but I seem to recall a man here in Iowa being charged with 2 murders when he killed his pregnant wife/girlfriend. I'll see if I can find any other cases like it, it isn't common, but it isn't unheard of either. Of course, whether or not Afghan law would recognize such a thing as murder is another matter entirely.

Edit: OK, so it's wikipedia, but they DO have links to actual legal sources. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unborn_Victims_of_Violence_Act

22. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    in the bible if you make a woman miscarry against her (husband's) will they take one of ur hands. same if you steal a loaf of bread or w/e

siha likes this.
  23. Lowbacca_1977

Lowbacca_1977 Chosen One star 7

Jun 28, 2006
    California has that stuff too. I just think it's incompatible with pro-choice stances.

24. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Eh, not really, if the biggest reason for being pro-choice is supporting, you know, the woman's right to choose whether she wants a baby or not.

And fitting that this is where a thread about Connemera goes.

25. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    Yeah, it was inspired by the Scott Peterson case.