main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit SOS: Save Our Skywalker, Luke Skywalker (v3)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Jedi Ben, Mar 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    Genre gold? Sorry, but all I see is yet another cliche, from a time period where all I see is depressing stories and absurd plot choices.

2. Skaddix

Skaddix Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 3, 2012
    Oh I agree its cliche and pretty standard within the genre but its the easiest move to make.

3. kataja

kataja Jedi Master star 4

May 4, 2007
    Close to :p If I think time to myself, 2013 has been annus horribilis for me. I think the next two weeks will be ok - them I'll be complete away for a couple of weeks again. After that, I hope for some normality and routine! I definitely need it! But I almost yelled of joy when I read Entertainment Weeekly's Hamill interview! That they've been askedf to reprise their role just makes me so glad!!! And that they've been promised the roles won't be respect just shows a respect and decency that is starting to be rare these days! The ST has just gotten all my good will now!!!

And I tell you bwe'll get those adventures! All in good time. We'll get plenty of films - of course we'll get Luke, Han & Leia in their prime too. But we still have the original actors - and in the age I think Lucas has planned them to be in the next story - As I see it, it's beautiful and exactly as it should be, that we'll follow their story while we can! After that, we can get all the 'middle time' stories we want - with new casted actors in their twenties!

And yes, obviously, it demands a lot of an actor/actress to go back in his/her footsteps to the gloory days - but that's their job. I don't expect miracles - but I think they'll do better than ok!

Exatly. I find I've been repeating you here!

It' s not officla, but it's most likely that the actors will play the age they have - or up to ten, max.twenty years more (there's bacta in GFFA after all)
    . That would leave them close to Crucible, where Luke and Leia are 64. Well, Hamill will be 64 in 2015. Fisher is a couple of years younger. And Crucible takes place in 45 ABY - that's 41 years after ROTJ. I could see them set the ST either 45 or 50 years after ANH, or ROTJ. Nice round numbers.

4. Skaddix

Skaddix Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 3, 2012
    50 years sounds good I suppose

5. kataja

kataja Jedi Master star 4

May 4, 2007
    As I said - a nice, round number ;)

6. Zeta1127

Sep 2, 2012
    That's exactly why I can't stand it.

7. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    I've been busy killing Dragon Priests, reading Black Books and killing and looting! Will return to Sykrim once my Solsteim sojourn is done!

In answer to your Q, I have yet to hear about a paperback edition - hint: Get the hardback! It's a very nice hardback!

8. Zeta1127

Sep 2, 2012
    Heir to the Empire: The 20th Anniversary Edition is absolutely worth it, and it even fixed all of the lingering errors from the standard paperback edition that I know of.

9. Mat Skywalker

Mat Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2005
    oh now you start having hope o_O I'm still uncertain how I feel of using the old cast but at least they give the original actors the courtesy of owning the roles. I do hope they are more than ready to bring that roles back.

you better promise [face_not_talking]

the thing is the next story and even Lucas admits it he didn't have anything written down or in concrete. We have ideas and speculation but I'm still waiting for something official. Also I do hope we get those middle time stories...my only issue is will there be a need/want for them ???

I
    Hamill better wow me Kataja me.....I mean wow me. He has played the Joker for the last 20 years so hopefully he can still do Luke after playing a bad character for long.

Man I done that already and the main quest(Miraak had no chance but I worry about Mora), I just have the side quests left and a duel with the legendary ebony warrior :p But now I just built my own house which has been a good pass time. I look forward to dawnguard this tuesday, I need new armor and new powers.

what makes it very nice ?

what were the errors in HTTE ?

10. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Why don't you buy it and find out MS86?

11. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    Essentially, Luke gets to pull a Jack Bauer. If you ever watch 24, you know those moments, when everyone is set to begin an assault, but the person on the inside tells them to hold off. It sounds stupid at the time, but ends up saving the day.

Luke, Han and Mara are being led to an arched pavilion. Lando and Karrde's men want to begin the assault while everyone's in the opening, but Luke tells them to wait until they get to the arch. This sounds stupid, since if they do that, they'll be allowing the Imperials to take cover, and allowing space for the Imperial ship to touch down. Lando trusts Luke, to the point where he's willing to point a blaster at the other guy running the assault.

When they get to the cover of the pillars, Luke has Han create a distraction while he gets his lightsaber from R2. He follows this up by killing four stormtroopers in one swipe, and by cutting the pillars. Finally, he throws his lightsaber at the last pillar, bringing down the entire pavilion. Not only does Luke bring down dozens of stormtroopers and Imperial officers this way, he also destroys the ship.

Karrde and Aves sum the situation up well.

Karrde walked around the mass of stone to where the crumbled nose of the Chariot assault vehicle poked out, a sense of slightly stunned disbelief coloring his vision. "One man," he murmured.

"Well, we helped some," Aves reminded him. But the sarcasm of the words faded beneath the grudging respect clearly behind it.

"And without the Force, too" Karrde said.

Also, slightly later, Thrawn doesn't believe that Luke could have done something like that on his own.

kataja and MasterSkywalker86 like this.
  12. Zeta1127

Sep 2, 2012
    Well, in the paperback edition I got last year, Mara wasn't capitalized in one place on page 374, but its fixed in the anniversary edition, and I am sure there were probably other errors.

MasterSkywalker86 likes this.
  13. Mat Skywalker

May 8, 2005
    well for starters I would like to know what comes in this version compare to the standard paperback....also why aren't they releasing an annotated DFR and TLC ?

see JB if wanna sell me on this book you should do what ID just did. I think I might just hand over $15 for that scene alone ;)

I think I'm going to tear up on how well that scene went down :D thank you for providing the scene in detail....it "was so artfully done" and it only goes to show that I too need to reread TTT

ah I see

14. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Not enough people like you bought it to encourage them to do DFR and TLC! :D

But, more importantly, what makes it great are the annotations that give you an insight into how things were at the start of the 90s for SW, why the story flowed the way it did and how, what changes were made and lots more.

Also, the novella Crisis of Faith ties up the Nuso Esva plot thread from Choice of One.

Also, there's a very neat surprise underneath the dust jacket!

MasterSkywalker86 and Zeta1127 like this.
  15. Mat Skywalker

May 8, 2005
    a neat surprise ???? is it a bookmark ?

16. Zeta1127

Sep 2, 2012
    Let's just say the dust jacket is hiding the original cover art!

ChildOfWinds likes this.
  17. Mat Skywalker

May 8, 2005
  18. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    I found that completely by accident. It's very cool.

Zeta1127 likes this.
  19. Zeta1127

Sep 2, 2012
    I know, I didn't expect to see the cover art we all associate with HttE underneath the dust jacket either.

20. Mat Skywalker

May 8, 2005
    the cover jacket is just the imperial emblem right ?

Zeta1127 likes this.
  21. ChildOfWinds

ChildOfWinds Chosen One star 6

Apr 7, 2001
    Zeta1127:
    :eek: I didn't know that!!!! I've had this book for quite a while, and finally started to read it, but I never took the dust jacket off! That *is* a nice surprise!

I'll respond to the other posts another time!

Zeta1127 likes this.
  22. Zeta1127

Sep 2, 2012
    All of the pictures of it always show the dust jacket, so that doesn't surprise me.

23. ChildOfWinds

ChildOfWinds Chosen One star 6

Apr 7, 2001
    instantdeath :
    Well, I'm glad it's official that they've been asked to return, but I guess I sort of thought things were a little further along and that they may have all been signed by now. It sounds like this may take a while... I really hope that they do come back. It would be disappointing to meet new Jedi and not see Luke leading and training them.... At least, I *hope* there will be new Jedi. I really want Luke to have restored the Jedi Order!

I would guess this news means that the new ST will take place at least 30 years after RotJ then.... That still doesn't tell us whether or not they will use some or all of the EU though...

Yes, I completely agree with you about this, ID! It wouldn't feel right to have new actors about the ages of Hamill, Fisher, and Ford taking over their roles when it would be so much better to have the originals.

Yes, I really love that scene too. It shows that there is far more to Luke than just his Force skills. That's why I just don't understand why Zahn portrayed Luke as such an incompetent, useless character in Allegiance and CoO. He obviously understands that Luke has many other great traits as well, as this scene shows. I find it really annoying that he didn't allow Luke to demonstrate any of his other gifts in those two books.

Jedi Ben:
    That's what I thought, but I hoped I was wrong and that Luke would at least make an appearance in it. :(

Looking forward to it, though I would have preferred a totally new story. !

MasterSkywalker86 :
    What is "Skyrim"?

They probably won't need as much energy. I think they will mostly be the mentors,(maybe Leia will be COS?) with their children (I HOPE Luke has at least one child) being the main heroes. I do want Luke to have at least one REALLY impressive Jedi Master scene though!

I think we all want that! I'm hoping they will go back and chronicle those adventures and the beginnings of the new Jedi Order eventually. As I've said, I really hope that there WILL be a Jedi Order that Luke has restored when the ST begins.

Skaddix:
    Yes, it *will* be interesting, but if we do get the Solo kids, I really hope we won't see one kill the other. In fact, I don't want to see any of the heroes go down the dark path. That story has already been told. I'd rather have a story where the good guys are the solution to the problems, and not the cause of the problems.

Well, I hope we get some version of Ben. I liked the detective version myself. Or, if not Ben, I still hope that Luke has a son... A son AND a daughter would be even better!

As for the "hints of a female Skywalker", while I wouldn't mind it, this seems to be coming mostly from posters who either want a female as the major protagonist, or who look back to Lucas' original story in which Luke was supposed to go in search of a sister (who wasn't Leia). But Leia seems to have become that sister, so the ST may not necessarily be about a female Skywalker.

Which is why I hope we'll be surprised and get something different. Not every story has to follow the usual pattern. Since we already got the mentors dying in the PT and the OT, killing Luke off would be far too repetitive... Besides, I feel that of all the characters, Luke deserves a long and happy life...

Zeta1127 :
    Yes, I agree about that, Zeta...

More another time...

Zeta1127 likes this.
  24. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    A vast, weekend-devouring RPG on PS3 and other consoles / PC!

25. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    The PS3 finally got Skyrim DLC? I was never interested in Elder Scrolls much, and I've become addicted to MMOs, namely TOR. Even if it does rip-off a lot, its still somewhat preferable to the other big Star Wars thing at the moment, TCW.

Anyway, the HttE anniversary is really, really nice. The author notes alone are worth the full hardcover price (all the memories from Zahn), and the novella adds a bit of value too (not the greatest story, but it is new material and ties up loose ends from CoO, although its not Luke related, but it also doesn't put Luke down in any way I think, and though its only one moment, at least Thrawn isn't always perfect and omniscient, as the novella is set shortly before the Thrawn trilogy, when he's about to leave the Unknown Regions, and his subordinates are worried about his safety, but he reassures them that he's arranged for a bodyguard... as long as it doesn't retcon Rukh or anyone else's involvement into Thrawn's death, but probably not).

The original artwork hidden under the dust jacket is just another nice extra, I'm still surprised they did such a good job with it. I haven't bought many hardcovers in recent years (the rise of Kindle being part of the reason), but I still fondly remember the old HoT hardcovers. I was just getting into Star Wars around then so managed to pick those up when they just came out. By NJO they had started trying to get fancier (such as TUF including a CD with a copy of Vector Prime I think), so those were the good old days.

The only bad part is that there probably won't be an anniversary Dark Force Rising or The Last Command hardcover. Even if it is a hardcover, I'd still be more willing to spend money on a reissue of a decade old story rather than waste it on FotJ (now those were a waste of hardcover spots in their publishing schedule). At least Scoundrels was worth the hardcover purchase too, though it probably won't interest most people in this thread since no Luke appearance (but it avoids most of Zahn's problems from Allegiance and Choices of One too).

Glad to see the thread is still active, I've just lost interest in Star Wars a bit as I can only complain and whine so often that I get tired of it, not to mention wasting other people's time. That there aren't that many new Luke stories doesn't help either. Post-NJO is depressing (and the bits of Crucible I've seen so far aren't encouraging), and almost everything else is set in those super-long years between Yavin and Hoth (seriously, if they retcon that the years between Yavin they were running on a different than standard calendar, it'll help things a lot).

Its hard to tell how long mentor figures are supposed to last these days. Obi-wan didn't last long, but his Force ghost hung around for a long while, but then these days killing off characters is used often as a way to pass the time and attempt to make comic events important. Though that's one of the reasons I liked the recent Batman event Death of the Family, it didn't just rely on cheap deaths to try to elicit an emotional response from readers (sorry for the spoilers, but I figure if there had been any major deaths, the news would have spread by now).

I don't mind a female protagonist, if Luke does have a daughter in the sequels, although having multiple kids would be fun too, even if it would run over EU canon, but post-VotF hasn't been kind to most of the cast anyway. Its part of what makes the upcoming Legacy series so interesting (a new Solo descendant, and one who isn't an Imperial at that, so yay, glad to see more Luke relatives, although its another fringe person, but they probably can't do worse than Cade by now, while it was nice to have Luke cameos in Legacy, having him there just to nag Cade wasn't the most impressive showing, considering Cade never really shaped up or stepped up to his destiny until the last minute, when he almost had no choice).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.