main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

It's Time For TCW to End.

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Garrett Atkins, Feb 21, 2013.

?

Should TCW end?

Poll closed Aug 21, 2013.
  1. Yes

13 vote(s)
    15.7%
  2. No

65 vote(s)
    78.3%
  3. Never should have been made

5 vote(s)
    6.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    You are not alone.
    http://boards.theforce.net/threads/...r-canon-and-continuity-catastrophes.50003841/

2. 07jonesj

07jonesj Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2010
    Well, she's not mentioned in any of the Anakin/Obi-Wan episodes in this show either. Her lack of presence does not mean she has to die, even though I personally am of the opinion that would be the most powerful ending for her character.

Ideally, it should also somehow cause a rift between the Council and Anakin.

3. InterestingLurker

InterestingLurker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2011
    You took those quotes from different parts of Anakin's life; the events that transpired in AOTC and the events that transpired in ROTS. At the end of AOTC, Anakin and Obi-Wan were largely reconciled. As for Mace's distrust of Anakin, that didn't fully develop until the events of ROTS. Actually, it could have happened somewhere between AOTC and ROTS and TCW could very well explain why Mace doesn't find Anakin trustworthy later in the show. Anything could have happened between AOTC and ROTS that could have caused him to look at Anakin with nervousness. As for Yoda's mention of the prophecy, it has nothing to do with Anakin having an apprentice. From Obi-Wan and Yoda's conversation on Christophis(sp?), the decision for him to have a Padawan was made so that he could learn from the experience, primarily when it comes to severing attachments. Furthermore, that moment that you refer to where Obi-Wan watches Anakin slaughter the younglings happened after Anakin was lured to the dark side.

Dark Lord Tarkas likes this.
  4. rezpen

rezpen Jedi Master star 4

May 4, 2010
    Honestly I'm more emotionally invested at this point in the fates of Ahsoka, Rex & Fives than I am a 60 year old Princess Leia. Minute for minute we have spent more time with Ahsoka than any of the OT characters.

And lol at people who prefer fanfiction to Lucas story. And also lol at people who think Lucas does anything for money at this point, he has a bazillion dollars he doesn't have to spend his time in Clone Wars writers meetings for a show with so-so ratings, he does this because he loves Star Wars and the characters and the story.

5. Jedifirefly5

Jedifirefly5 Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 5, 2012
    Tarkin is quite a thrill to watch. It doesn't make him less of a scumbag at all.

07jonesj likes this.
  6. 07jonesj

Aug 16, 2010
    I don't care if you dislike the EU, and I don't care if you care to term it fanfiction (PS. What are you going to do when Lucas dies, and Star Wars keeps going?), I enjoy quite a lot of it. Some of it is incredibly bad, but that's the same for this show and the Saga (TPM).

Haven't many people spent about 35 years with Leia, as opposed to 5 with Ahsoka?

7. Mia Mesharad

Mia Mesharad Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    And lol at people who don't know the definition of fanfiction, or how it differs from officially licensed, canon material...

8. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008

Garrett Atkins and Mia Mesharad like this.
  9. K'Kruhk

K'Kruhk Jedi Master star 4

Dec 11, 2011
    In one sentence you've managed to show disrespect by insulting several people, arrogantly present your personal opiniated preference as fact, and show that you don't know what fanfiction is. Lol at yourself.

10. BlenderWars

BlenderWars Jedi Padawan star 1

Feb 20, 2013
    i wish i also had a bazillion dollars. Man i would buy me an airforceone-Jumbojet and make party in it while flying in the air 24/7. It would have a tabledancebar, a swimmingpool, a disco and a cinema in it. Also waterbeds. i always wondered how such a waterbed is functioning.

The PT is also fanfiction, but its ok. Lucas is the biggest SW Fan out there.

11. rezpen

May 4, 2010
    Uh no, who am I insulting again? People who like the EU? This is the Clone Wars and television forum right not the EU forum? This whole thread was started saying the "ridiculous since season one" Clone Wars needs to stop in it's own forum because it tramples on the EU, I am not going in the EU forum saying stop writing EU because it undercuts the Clone Wars. I think anyone can tell a message board posting is an opinion.

12. 07jonesj

Aug 16, 2010
    That's pretty much what you did, just in this forum. Two wrongs don't make a right.

13. rezpen

May 4, 2010
    I'm not saying stop writing EU, EU till the cows come home, but to say the Clone Wars should be cancelled because of it's effect on EU, especially when we are getting a higher level canon of events straight from the canon's author to me is lol worthy. FYI This is my opinion not a fact.

14. Mia Mesharad

Sep 2, 2012
    I'm sorry, do you think the boards are segregated? That you only get to pick one board to post on and no others, so all TCW fans have to stay here and all EU fans have to stay over there, and all movie fans stay in the movie boards? People cross-post depending on their preference; there are many EU fans here, and there are numerous TCW fans on the EU boards. People post where they please, and you should post with that in mind.

And for what has to be at least the millionth time: TCW is EU.

15. 07jonesj

Aug 16, 2010
    No, that's fair. Like I said, I don't really mind if you don't like the written stuff, it's just the manner in which you said it.

Likewise, the OP should've stated valid reasoning for his opinion because as is it it's more bait than thought-provoking discussion opener.

16. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Let's not forget- the OP was a radical stance that so far few have agreed with. So far there's about five times as many "no" votes as there are "yes". We've basically got the two polar opposite positions, one represented by Garrett Atkins, the other by rezpen, neither articulated well and both coming under scrutiny.

I swear, I have no idea what's going on in this thread any more. I think it's time for some cleanup from the mods.

Basically, what jonesy said.

07jonesj likes this.
  17. Lazy Storm Trooper

Lazy Storm Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Sep 18, 2012
    When did this happen?!? :confused:

18. Garrett Atkins

Garrett Atkins Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 11, 2013
    It doesn't just destroy the EU, it destroys the movies too.
    "My powers have doubled since the last Clone Wars episode, Count."

19. InterestingLurker

InterestingLurker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2011
    That quote is taken out of context quite a lot. Anakin, being his usual arrogant self, was just gloating. Also, I doubt one perceived inconsistency can destroy a whole movie, let alone "the movies".

20. Lazy Storm Trooper

Lazy Storm Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Sep 18, 2012
    Wait... We have that ability... There goes thousands of dollars.... [face_dancing]:_|[face_dancing]

07jonesj likes this.
  21. rezpen

May 4, 2010
    I go back to the Lucas interview in Total Film May 2008 which talks about the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit as to what does and doesn't constitue the EU. I think he makes pretty clear what he considers EU.

22. 07jonesj

Aug 16, 2010
    It's a shame that it's not up to Lucas now, isn't it? :p

You can't really blame that side of Lucas, these are works being written in the Star Wars universe that he didn't oversee. That's got to feel weird as a creator. But they are officially canon, as stated by LucasFilm. They can be overwritten, but until then they are as canon as anything else.

23. Garrett Atkins

Garrett Atkins Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 11, 2013
    Yeah, and Lucas said Han didn't ever shoot first.

24. Mia Mesharad

Sep 2, 2012
    Yes, anything not a part of his six live-action saga films. Which, last I checked, TCW was not a part of. By definition, TCW is EU.

JackG, K'Kruhk, 07jonesj and 2 others like this.
  25. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    I feel like Star Wars' canon system will quickly become outdated and require re-working going into the sequel trilogy.

Of what use will G-canon be in a post-Lucas Star Wars universe? I somehow doubt that Kathleen Kennedy is going to fill his shoes and start dictating canon in the same way that he did. She's probably not going to be offering behind the scenes lore tidbits or anything of the sort. She'll probably leave those kinds of things to the directors and writers, i.e. a collaboration of people, not stubborn old "this is my story" Lucas.

Whether it just be renamed to M-canon (movie canon) or F-canon (film canon) or be folded with TCW and future TV shows to demonstrate that anything that is on screen ranks higher in canon than the written works (as was Star Trek's solution).

I figure with the creator out of the picture, or at least no longer in the driver's seat, whomever steps in, will probably be more respectful and hesitant to start overwriting things on a whim, because it wasn't something they created and thus they probably won't feel as entitled as Lucas did.

Star Trek saw that with Gene Roddenberry, where whatever was canon pretty much coincided with his mood on any given day. He might say some episodes and films were canon, but some others weren't, etc. Whereas when he died, his successors pretty much just made it so that everything on screen is canon (the Star Trek Animated Series is in a gray area).

Star Wars might do a similar approach. TCW might get raised up to be equivalent to the films, or might get bumped down to being equal to the novels and comics as equally irrelevant when coming up with new shows and films. Or it all might get elevated to a single level where everything is to be respected equally (I'm not holding my breathe for that).

But I think with the potential of Episode VII to do some massive steamrolling of post-ROTJ canon, and with Lucas stepping back, I think the G > T > C > S canon system will need to be altered.

I would imagine all the new films will occupy the same level of canon as the previous films, despite Lucas' reduced input and role. It would just be ridiculous and unnecessary to create a new level of canon for them, etc.

Dark Lord Tarkas and 07jonesj like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.