main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series A Thought on the Mortis Malarky

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Heero_Yuy, Sep 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    [face_flag] I am SithStarSlayer and I endorse this ^ post.[face_flag]

:p

2. Heero_Yuy

Heero_Yuy Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 28, 2000
    Bumping. Trollolololol.

Seriously though, I doubt I'm the only one who noticed the use of the Mortis variation of the force theme during a point in the latest TCW arc. Do you guys think what may happen in this arc relates to the Mortis trilogy somehow? Specifically, Ahsoka's supposed future message to herself?

Darthgoodguy likes this.
  3. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    Was that the music playing while Tano was sleeping, cameras weren't recording and a keycard was getting dropped outside her lasergate? The son is helping her. Trollololol lolol lol. Indeed.

Darthgoodguy likes this.
  4. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    Well, if Maul is behind it and Son is connected to Maul. j/k

Ahsoka's future self warned Ahsoka she'd never see her future if she remained Anakin's student. She hasn't left of her own accord yet or through anything he's done directly other than getting mad at him. Ahsoka has been forced to run by getting framed. There may be a bigger falling out later in this arc with Anakin. However I'm just not seeing the connection with that vision yet.

SithStarSlayer likes this.
  5. 07jonesj

07jonesj Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2010
    I actually really enjoyed Mortis' wackiness and would've liked to see the Big Three discuss it, though I think that ship has long sailed now. It would just feel shoehorned in if they suddenly brought it up.

I'm also of the opinion that Ahsoka's vision of her future self probably doesn't mean anything. Filoni has even said that the writers, George and co. only recently nailed down Ahsoka's final fate - so it wasn't even finished when Mortis was written. Hard to foreshadow something when you don't know what that something is even going to be.

6. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    Mortis would feel really force if it were brought up now in the current arc. However Its something I still hope to see come up again in the future atleast between two of the three who had the dream or whatever it was. I don't think the ship has sailed with anything on TCW. This show has taken three seasons to come back to other plot lines and brought back characters I'd counted out. Filoni is also the same guy who was trolling kids asking if Maul was coming back. I take his word of god for 'At this time.'

07jonesj likes this.
  7. Dark Lord Tarkas

Dark Lord Tarkas Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2011
    I don't think referencing Mortis in this arc would necessarily feel forced at all. There have been a lot of complaints about lack of self-referencing in this series as long as I've been here (mid-S3), and now they're finally turning that around, referencing the S4 General Krell arc in Sabotage and the S2 Geonosis arc in The Jedi Who Knew Too Much. There's no reason not to mention Mortis if it's equally pertinent.

8. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    Did they even remember? And why would they mention it? Who would understand? Who would believe them? Griffin & gargoyle-bat, force-daddy and the inside a triangle, planet? Nobody is buying that, better to keep it quiet.

9. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    Well Yoda apparently knew, but I think Denning took quite some liberty there; I don't think the crew from TCW wanted the experience to be something that the three could pass on to their allies, let alone remember fully.

SithStarSlayer likes this.
  10. Heero_Yuy

Heero_Yuy Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 28, 2000
    Good point, but do you really think Denning would have been permitted to utilize said elements from the Mortis trilogy were it not in a similar line with the TCW's ideas. Granted, I'm not a big fan of how FOTJ handled it (mainly concerning how Yoda apparently told Luke everything during ESB) but still. He'd not have been allowed to incorporate all that were it so at odds with Lucas' vision.

11. BlenderWars

BlenderWars Jedi Padawan star 1

Feb 20, 2013
    no. kinner just recycling stuff. he is not that much talented like Williams you know.

12. 07jonesj

07jonesj Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2010
    Hey, don't be so quick to judge! Kevin Kiner's done a great job on this show (IMO, duh).

And pretty much all of us have been asking that Kiner finally begin to set up themes and use them when appropriately. A good theme re-used in the proper place can connect your mind back to the other times the theme played, and make you connect the dots. Or it can hit you emotionally.

13. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    I actually keep getting that feeling whenever I watch Brothers and Revenge. Maul's dialogue seems suggestive of more than meets the eye. And then there's the black crud Talzin pulls out of Maul's head; I suppose it's meant to symbolize his madness but there could be more to it than that.

Seerow and The Shadow Emperor like this.
  14. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    What was it? "You will never see your future if you remain his student"?

As I mentioned in one of the other threads, if Ahsoka does indeed do something "dark" in this arc and then either she or the audience have the testicularity to blame Anakin for it, I'm going to be pissed.

By extension we could blame Obi-Wan for Anakin's fall, which is ridiculous.

Am I the only one old-school enough to believe that while there might be contributing factors in decision making, at the end of the day people are responsible for their own ***damn choices?

Nubbs likes this.
  15. Darth Ibonek

Darth Ibonek Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 11, 2013
    Damn I wonder how emasculating it would have been for Yoda if he was at Mortis.

Bo-Katan and Darthgoodguy like this.
  16. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    ^Wait what?

I kinda doubt Ahsoka will do anything darker than decide to kill clone troopers in self defense but it could be kinda fun if Ventress taught her some darkside skills like force choke considering that's what Tarkin thinks she caught on camera. I guess the remain his student thing comes into play cuz Anakin could end up killing both of them.

17. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Going to be watching these 3 episodes in the morning in my run through of the series. Interested in seeing what this is all about

Dark Lord Tarkas likes this.
  18. Dark Lord Tarkas

Dark Lord Tarkas Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2011
    I look forward to your reaction!

19. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    May the force be with you.

20. General Immodet

General Immodet Jedi Master star 5

Dec 5, 2012
    I think the Mortis arc was one of the best arcs in TCW.
    It all was symbolic. It was a nice nod to the whole Prophecy of the Chosen One and the fall and redemption of Anakin.
    Also, its storyline had a few twists. The Father was really an interesting character.

Darthgoodguy likes this.
  21. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Yeah. Should be real interesting to talk about this trilogy.

Thank you.

22. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 20, 2010
    Mortis being used in the EU is not just something Denning did in FoTJ. James Luceno infers to Celestial like beings as being in charge of the balance of the force in the Darth Plagueis novel, which came out roughly a year after Mortis aired. Also, it is further stated in the guide to warfare that the ancient early republic dark sider Xendor actually encountered Mortis and the ones 25,000 years ago, so at the very least they have been involved with characters in this galaxy for an extremely long time. Denning also said he worked very closely with Filoni when coming up with the concepts for FoTJ, so it is all supposedly Filoni approved.

Taking that all into account, this is what we do know...

1. The ones were originally celestials (a mysterious force using super ancient race we know very little about for sure). They somehow evolved into what is then known as a literal race of "force wielders". They were supposedly a higher state which celestials all sought to become, and only these 3 achieved it.
    2. The son and daughter gained their abilities (as in, they were not born with them) by using strange force infused artifacts on their world known as the Font of Power and the Pool of Knowledge. The former empowered the Son, the latter empowered the Daughter. They fought one another for an age until the father managed to get them to live at peace with one another.
    3. They exist separately from the force, but do seem to be either influenced by or literally represent the will of each side. This could suggest that both the dark side and light side of the force each have conflicting wills that a larger balanced aspect of the force oversees. One could assume the "ones" represent or are influenced by these wills rather than literally being them... though whether one lives or dies does seem to have an influence on the whole matter. Somehow, they have enough influence on each of their respective sides that when one overpowers the other, it amplifies the strength of either the light or the dark... therefor the figure of balance keeps their fighting in check.
    4. Somehow, Darkness is necessary to achieve balance in the galaxy. How is not made clear, but the only conclusion I could reach is that too much of the light side leads to stagnation, apathy, and lack of action rather than a healthy balanced life. The Jedi order being well meaning, for example, but ultimately incorrect about things like forbidding marriage and living somewhat secluded (something Luke's order changes its stance on). Perhaps it would be more accurate to say that passion is an important part of a truly balanced force, and life of any individual. Engaging in too much passion leads to a fall to the dark side and corruption, but engaging in none leads to arrogance, blindness, and stagnation.
    5. The daughter's death and the loss of an avatar weakens the light side, but clearly does not destroy it. Without the daughter, one of the key figures keeping the dark side's will in check no longer exists, and so the darkness spreads more easily, blinding the jedi even more so, and giving Sidious greater power (but not necessarily being responsible for his victory or plan). This event helped him more easily blind the Jedi, but it alone did not grant him victory. He still uses the dark side to his own ends, seeking to become the greatest of all Sith and the permanent immortal ruler of the galaxy. It has always been unknown to what degree Palpatine follows the will of the dark side, or whether he merely uses it to his own end. Perhaps the Son's death allows him even greater control over the dark side itself. Who knows.

I could go on, there are so many implications from this arc and the EU material which touches it. Supposedly, Filoni says they have answers to much of this. I'd rather hear these than see Mortis featured again, though I do believe it should at least be referenced. At the very least, the story is symbolic of Anakin's story. Yet at most, it could be a key event which shifted the balance of power between Jedi and Sith. It does NOT, however, represent the death of either side of the force in any way. The force exists outside of the ones. At most, they represented its conflicting wills, not its actual existence.

23. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Finished the Mortis arc but have no blasted clue on what to think. Need to watch it again and read Apocalypse again to combine everything. Anakin can bring balance to the force but has to balance the light and dark and might fall to the dark side to ultimately bring balance to the Force. Did the Father want Anakin to stay? What's the whole thing with that? If he stayed wouldn't Palpatine control the galaxy unopposed?

24. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Explanation for Mortis:

Anakin really was a navigator on a spice freighter.

And he, Obi-Wan and Ahsoka helped themselves to a heavy dose of the spices one night.

Sitara and ImNotAStarWarsFanboy like this.
  25. Embomania

Embomania Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 2, 2013
    Is there a source to the claim that Filoni said they won't revisit Mortis? In the Season 3 Blu-ray features he says they have all the answers to the Mortis questions and will revisit it, but they didn't give up many answers because they want the mystery there so people can speculate.

Don't people know by now that other people hate speculating?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.