main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga The Official Star Wars Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Fat_Rancor_Keeper, Apr 17, 2010.

1. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    OK, thanks. I always wondered how the HD upconversion claim on some DVD players could be true, but I thought it might be closer to truth on a Blu-Ray player.

2. KenobiSkywalker

KenobiSkywalker Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    If you are using composite or S-Video with your DVD player, I'd imagine you would see a gain in quality using a BR player and HDMI.

3. CoolyFett

CoolyFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 3, 2003
    I don't take kindly to blatant insults. I know what see on MY tv screen.

4. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    I'm using component cables, which I think are required in order to get progressive scan. But there would probably still be improvement with a BR player and HDMI.

5. CoolyFett

Feb 3, 2003
    Eht is that the same as the rca cable because that's what my dvd uses.

6. CoolyFett

Feb 3, 2003
    Anyway I was really excited about how the dvds look on my new player, I watched TPM & ANH today & notice a ton of things I've never seen. My only concern now is getting the saga product before it gets tarnished.

7. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    If by RCA cable you mean the one video cable and two audio cables, then that is composite. Component is three video cables and two audio cables, and is considered superior to composite. I think it may be better than everything except HDMI if I recall correctly.

8. CoolyFett

Feb 3, 2003
    Oh ok yea my dvd player does not have that setting, it has S Video, but I never had the cord so I just used the RCAs that come with it.

9. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009
    Composite feed, same as VHS.

However, the component connections on a DVD player utilise RCA cords & plugs - it's just three cables for video alone. Salespeople will try to sell 'component video cables' with red, green & blue at each end as something completely different, but there's almost no difference between them and the triple cables for video & two channels of audio (yellow, red & white). They just tend to be a bit thicker, with gold connections. Still the same sort of cable, slightly better quality, but a standard triple RCA will work fine.

I did have to slap down the smartarse in the store treating me like a moron when I bought my DVD player - "I work in broadcast TV, I know what component video is. I'll continue to use my current cables, thanks very much."

10. Darth_Harmon

Darth_Harmon Jedi Master star 4

Jul 4, 2005
    From the Disney stockholders conference call: Fox retains ownership and distribution of all existing Star Wars movies (until that contract expires). Episode 4 is owned "in perpituity" and all other existing movies are owned through 2020. Disney can use any and all characters from the entire Star Wars canon in all of its new movies. All future films will be distributed by Disney, unlike Paramount retaining partial distribution rights when Marvel was acquired. No mention was made of who now owns the Star Wars Holiday Special.
    http://www.aintitcool.com/node/59381

So no Disney rereleasing of episodes 1-6 until 2021 at least. Good to hear! I was afraid of a double dip, but as is we can't expect a blu-ray or anything else for another 9 years. Even then, I'd wonder if they would offer anything new or if they'd just release the set with the Disney logo replacing FOX.

My guess is Fox and Lucasfilm might alter the "Complete Saga" set to be titled "Episodes I-VI" or "The Skywalker Saga" to account for episode 7. And once 7-9 are released, we'll see a 1-9 set in 2020 or perhaps a 1-12 set if they go that far with the episodic films.

11. darth_mccartney

darth_mccartney Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 3, 2008
    Were there any more easter eggs found for the Blu Rays? The only one I heard about was the cartoon holiday special bit.

12. CoolyFett

Feb 3, 2003
    The Phantom Menace
    Attack of the Clones
    Revenge of the Sith
    A New Hope
    The Empire Strikes Back
    Return of the Jedi

No other film should ever be packaged with these special movies.

13. CoolyFett

Feb 3, 2003
    With the recent news, the value of this Blu Ray has just gone up for me. Ill never own any of those other movies, so I def need to get my hands on this set.

14. rpeugh

rpeugh Force Ghost star 4

Apr 10, 2002
    Im confused as to what this deal means for future blue ray releases of the saga. From what I understand, FOX has video rights for episodes 1-6 until 2020, and rights to episode 4 for as long as it wants it. So Im wondering if there will be another blue ray packaging of 1-6 before 2020. I guess the good news about all this is that the OT will no longer be toyed with. So it will be the same movies. Unfortunately with Lucas gone, any future packaging wont be very creative, like the cover of the current blue ray saga set.

15. CoolyFett

Feb 3, 2003
    Yes the OT is finally finalized & they should not release 1-6 again. Just focus on the new stuff & let 1-6 become classics

DarthKreVass likes this.
  16. CoolyFett

Feb 3, 2003
    Yes the OT is finally finalized & they should not release 1-6 again. Just focus on the new stuff & let 1-6 become classics

17. rpeugh

rpeugh Force Ghost star 4

Apr 10, 2002
    I can't believe this thread hasn't been bumped yet with the announcement of the new steelbook trilogy box blue rays.

http://www.thisisfakediy.co.uk/articles/television/star-wars-trilogies-get-the-steelbook-treatment/

Aren't these the most beautiful things you guys have ever seen? Im wondering how they would fit in my blue ray saga box. The cool thing about these steelbooks is that they keep most of the good artwork from the saga set and each of the trilogy sets and get rid of all the bad artwork from those sets. I tried to put two regular blue ray cases in the saga box, and beleive it or not, it fit pretty well. The height was a perfect fit, the width was perfect. The depth was not perfect but wasnt bad. I think I can fix that though. For those that dont yet have the saga blue ray release, the bonus discs are not good any ways, and the art work for the bonus discs is horrible.

18. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Actually, I'm not a big fan of the artwork they used for the set. And small details like the Ep. II Yoda on TPM cover didn't help. Still, it's good to see them on steelbooks.

19. CoolyFett

Feb 3, 2003
    I'm still watching the dvds & want the Blu Ray eventually. It will be the last see I ever buy so I'm just waiting.

20. Han Burgundy

Han Burgundy Jedi Master star 3

Jan 28, 2013
    I still don't get why Yoda is suddenly the face of the Prequel trilogy, It should be Anakin on there.

21. Darth_Monkey_Boy

Darth_Monkey_Boy Jedi Knight

Oct 11, 2008
    Oh, so wrong! It is a FACT that a Blu-ray player upconverts the picture of a DVD quite a bit. Watch a DVD in a BD player, then switch it over to a DVD player and you'll definitely see a difference. I found this out when my PS3 broke and I had to watch my DVDs on my DVD player. The entire screen looked as if it was covered in some horrid static![face_sick]

As for the picture quality on the Blu-rays, "TPM" looks just awful since they scrubbed all of the grain out of the picture making the humans look as if they're made out of wax! I hate that transfer! I'm certainly glad they didn't do the same to the other movies. Anyone hear of there being a new transfer for "TPM" in the works since the 3-D release?

22. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Fortunately it's not as bad as you make it out to be.

They did worse with AotC.

No, specially since TPM Blu-ray transfer was the same as the 3D release. the slight DNR applied was for the conversion. Still, they've restored the movie, so they must have a good, DNR-free, new master.

23. Mr. Forest

Mr. Forest Chosen One star 6

Nov 1, 2012
    TPM does not look awful by any means. There are a very few scenes where it does look a little bad, but for the most part it looks great. And no, there has been no word on a new TPM transfer.

24. Joe

Joe Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 25, 2012
    I still feel as if there is a Kamino easter egg containing deleted footage from that planet. It just makes too much sense for it not to be the case. Kamino was deleted from the archives in AOTC, and it's not in the archives of the disc.

25. KenobiSkywalker

KenobiSkywalker Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    What kind of DVD player do you have and how is it hooked up? The source is still 480p no matter how much you up-convert it.