main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Mark Hamill interview on ETOnline...states "They're talking to us"

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by braddrad, Feb 19, 2013.

1. STARBOB

STARBOB Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 11, 2002
    You gotta have the big 3 around for at least episode 7. If not that would be like having no OBI-WAN &, VADER in episode 4, only Luke, Han, & Liea are in it.

2. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    I just want hug my well loved toy (the OT cast) one more time - I don't need to see Mark flitting around ala Jedi, but a dignified, true transition, not a cut and toss.

3. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003

It's kid of sad how some people always want the new and shiny, never content or understanding the value of history. Luke and company in a new set of adventures set in an appropriate timeframe is not a worn out toy but is a BRAND NEW never before seen toy.

Characters sell toys. Ben, Jinn, and Palpatine all sold toys, replicas, etc. Kids in my neighborhood pretended to be Ben and played with his action figure back in the day.

4. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    I never said anything was wrong with Luke, Han and Leia being in the ST. In fact, I have been defending their appearance in every thread where people were crying about not wanting to see them because they're "too old."
    The thing I do have something against is that 80% of threads here suggest a comeback of almost every single character from the previous trilogies and revisiting every single planet yet again.
    When I say I want new stuff, that's what I mean. New characters, new places, something original to go along with the Big Three passing the torch to the next generation.

Saying that is "not content and always wanting new and shiny" suggests a shallowness which is most certainly not entailed in wanting to see new things in a new trilogy. I think you missed the point and went way off topic with spewing those ludicrous accusations of "not understanding the value of history."

DarthRelaxus and Darth Claire like this.
  5. LawJedi

LawJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2009
    Realistically, I think there's about 8 or 9 characters that the "public" would like to see: Luke, Han, Leia, Lando, Chewbacca, C-3PO, R2, Boba and Wedge. Yeah, I think Wedge just barely cracks the top 10, unless you factor in ghost Jedi. But nothing says these characters have to have substantial roles.

Pro Scoundrel likes this.
  6. Trebor Sabreon

Trebor Sabreon Former Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 15, 2010
    This is just my opinion, but I honestly think you're making far too much of this. Much more than Mark ever seemed to intend, anyway. I mean "slamming the prequels"? Come on, now, he did no such thing. Mark simply stated his preference for a particular style of movie-making vs another type. He has every right to say what he did and what's more, even though people want to read between the lines, Hamill did not flat out state that he was referencing the PT, specifically. Even if he did mean the PT, I'm pretty sure George Lucas is a big enough man to handle a dissenting opinion. So it was public? So what? The press is going to do whatever it will, but I haven't seen any of these blazing, six-inch headlines people have been forecasting.

Honestly, I think it's much ado about nothing. Worse, it steers the conversation away from the real story that we now have confirmation that Mark Hamill has been asked to reprise the role of Luke Skywalker in (at least) Episode VII.

7. Poo-Do

Poo-Do Jedi Padawan

Nov 6, 2012
    To be honest, forget the mentor role stuff if that's what it is cool, i won't cpmplain but... I would love to see EP7 focus on Luke, with Leia and Han heavily in the mix as well. If anything, I want the "new" characters to be secondary to the "Big 3." Introduce them in episode 8 or 9...and springboard it from there.

8. Big Bad Yoda Daddy

Big Bad Yoda Daddy Force Ghost star 4

Mar 8, 2000
    Hey, I'll have you know I gave a Ben Kenobi figure to a kid in a Toys 'R' Us not too long ago when he was visibly upset that I got the last one. He wanted that crazy old wizard bad.

9. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    Well, it looks like many hours of banter and debate on this forum on certain topics have likely been answered:

1) The ST WILL NOT be the story of Luke Skywalker, that is abundantly clear. Where are all of the guys who got so indignant in arguing with me that it would be? [face_laugh]
    [​IMG]

2) I love some of Hamill's ideas, like wanting the whole gang back from the OT, as well as doing the side movies about characters that aren't central to the other stories, exactly what I have wanted all along. BEAUTIFUL, I LOVE YOU, MAN!!!

3) The big 3 have NOT YET signed on.

4) Looks like the main characters likely will be the offspring of the Skywalker clan.

5) Looks like Hamill is one of the ones who wants less CGI (not that it will be up to him).

6) There will be NO RECAST (huge relief to some people on these boards, eh?). =D=

10. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    Where? :confused:

We haven't got so much as a single scrap of solid info other than:

1) JJ is Directing

2) Script writers are on board

3) We're going to have a new triology

4) Mark, Carrie and Harrison have been approached and are in talks - nothing's been signed, nothing's been announced

5) Star Wars fans are as ravenous and bat guano crazy as they've ever been.

J_Girl, TreborSabreon, T-R- and 3 others like this.
  11. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    I want to know who was saying the ST would be "the Luke Skywalker story".

Anyway, I'll be here all week gloating when it's announced that Jar Jar will not be getting his own spinoff movie. Ha! Everyone who argued with me, saying that Jar Jar will be the new focus of SW, you'll be crying all day when that smackdown arrives!

12. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    1.) We don't know that. Mark talks about getting the band back together, not needed if Luke is only a supporting character. So I argue that his remarks indicate the opposite, it WILL be the story of Luke Skywalker (See Return from the Hero's Journey).

Don't need the band if there's a new frontman.

2.) We don't know if they have signed or not. He originally said that George didn't say they'd be in it and now said George asked them and said no recast. He knows more than he's saying.

13. Darth Claire

Darth Claire Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2012
    I kinda see it the opposite. If he said that they would write him out if he refuses, that kinda implies he's not a major role if they can just write him out and keep going. So yeah...Star Wars is not gunna have Luke as the main hero. Just my thoughts....plus he said it'll probably star his offspring so........

14. Trebor Sabreon

Sep 15, 2010
    I didn't take any hint of character involvement at all from Mark's comments. Mark stated that George Lucas met with him to gague Hamill's interest in reprising the role and that if he, Mark, were not interested, George would see that the part was written out (classy move by GL, by the way). As this meeting took place months before Michael Arndt was hired on, there was plenty of opportunity left for a re-write at that time. The fact that Hamill says no papers have been signed, is not proof that Hamill did not express his interest, thus green-lighting whatever story ideas Lucas was mulling for his treatment (and let's be clear, we have no proof of what these may be).

Once again, I see people drawing conclusions based on partial evidence. Is it likely that Luke will have a larger role than any other potential returning character? Based on what we know from the first six installments of the saga, probably. Is it just as likely that the story will feature a new generation of heroes, with the OT cast in more supporting roles, I think so, yes, but we just don't have enough information yet. The only thing we know for sure from Mark's comments are that he was asked if he'd be interested in appearing in the ST and that if he had not expressed any interest at that time, Lucas said that there would be no recasting and that the role would be written out. We have no information about where things currently stand with regard to story, only that Mark says he has not signed on "officially" yet (and though it's only a hunch, it wouldn't shock me if a commitment of some sort has been made, but folks are holdiong off and waiting for LucasFilm's announcement).

Artoo-Dion likes this.
  15. Darth Claire

Dec 21, 2012
    If what your saying is that Luke wil probably have the largest role of the OT cast then yes I agree *sorry Leia I can't see you having a major role*

16. Trebor Sabreon

Sep 15, 2010
    Well, if I were to hazard a guess, then yes, I could see how Luke could have the largest role of any returning character - and, as the biggest Luke Skywalker fan in the known universe, that would suit me just fine ;) - but my larger point is that we don't have enough information just yet to know for sure which direction the story or it's characters will go in.

17. Darth Claire

Dec 21, 2012
    I can definitly see Luke having a large role since....he's Luke. But yes we need more information but we can kinda piece together some things based off high probability. Like Luke being a mentor, ect.

TreborSabreon likes this.
  18. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    I agree that Luke will be a/the mentor in the ST, but my point is that doesn't preclude him from be the main character either. As you both say, we don't have enough information to know either way.

They would've done the same if Mark had died in the car accident in the late 70's before TESB and RotJ came out, that doesn't change the fact that he had THE major role in the OT, just that there were contingencies.

TreborSabreon likes this.
  19. Darth Claire

Dec 21, 2012
    Ok then but I'm not expecting it *the lead hero part not the mentor luke, which I really want to see for all the wonderful reasons*

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  20. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Luke Skywalker as the main character... no thank you. Episode VII should be about passing the torch to the next generation to keep the continuity going. I'm more interested for the new characters to take the spotlight. Now Luke Skywalker having a major role in the ST... yes please. I have said it before Anakin had a full six film arc and now Luke should as well. If the main character is his offspring I would think there should be some type of conflict between them that needs resolving. My guess would be the main character accepting the Skywalker legacy both good and ill.

Lee_ and Darth Claire like this.
  21. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    Luke Skywalker won't be the main character. No way can I see that happening. However, I can see him getting the biggest role out of all the returning characters. Being Mark Hamill at this moment in time must be interesting. He's pretty much only done bits and pieces since leaving the saga. Now, all of a sudden, he's going to be thrust into, quite possibly, the biggest film of all time in what is sure to be a fairly substantial supporting role. The same can be said for Fisher, too, I suppose. There's just something about that that seems insanely cool.

22. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    You are SO in denial.

All he says is that he would like for everyone to be on board, he doesn't say why. He is saying this in context of what he wants in terms of the movie-making atmosphere, right after he says something to the effect of "I want it to be fun like it once was to make a SW movie."

They are not going to have a situation where they can just write him out of the story if the story is about him- they would then need to write a new story, since per what he says here, they would not recast his part.

23. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    Say What?!?! Where did you pull the "if he would have died" bit out of? You are the new king of stretching the facts to fit your POV.

I would say it is more than just a "contingency," they are going to need a whole new story. That is not "writing him out," that is a new story.

24. Fleab88

Fleab88 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 12, 2012
    The "I told you so" game felt juvenile at the age of five. The feelings have remained the same twenty years later for me :p

25. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    I say you've pretty much described yourself there.

The source for that quote is in either Rinzler's book on SW or TESB. George told Mark they would've written Luke out and not recast him if he had died.