main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Canderous and Cade's Crazy Cantina: a shiny new fanfiction social thread!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Commander-DWH, Aug 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    I only really want one class from college, and that would be a figure drawing class. My local arts council may be able to help with that, though.

2. Goodwood

Goodwood Jedi Master star 5

May 11, 2011
    {{Dewit}}

3. Iverna

Iverna Jedi Master star 4

Feb 20, 2008
    Eh, you don't need that stuff. In my experience, art classes tend to suck. That may be a local problem, though. But seriously, I did a year-long art course after school and learned almost nothing. I just spent a load of money on art supplies that I never ever used again, like oil paints, which are horrendously expensive. I wound up donating them to a guy who lost all his art supplies in a fire, so it wasn't a total loss, but still.

Going by my experience - copy lots of references, and get thee a manikin and some online tutorials, you'll learn more. :p Check out Anatomy 4 Sculptors on Facebook, they have tons of great resources.

4. LexiLupin

LexiLupin Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 27, 2011
    As someone currently in the midst of a masters program for which every class is on an accelerated pace far worse than that... 3 weeks/4 hours a day sounds wonderful. Do it! But I concur that if they run at the same time, only taking one sounds ideal.

5. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    I'll pay the 100 registration fee on Monday and nab a seat, and if I decide I just can't handle one more month of school, I can drop it the day before it starts and still get my money back.

I hated art class in high school. I lasted 30 days. I'm not the best artist, but I do like to draw. The art teacher was horrendously mean. I took Band and Woodwork instead.

Iverna likes this.
  6. Iverna

Feb 20, 2008
    My art teacher in school sucked. She was a good artist, but a terrible teacher. Most days she just came in, gave us a list of things to draw (Choose one: 1. Your dream house, 2. Your favourite place, 3. Whatever you want), and sat there daydreaming while some of us drew, some of us did homework, and some of us threw things at each other. During the last two years we also had the occasional art history lesson, where she'd tell us to read a specific page from the book or write an essay about anything we found in the book that seemed interesting.

I'm not exaggerating. I did art for five years in school, I don't think I learned a single thing. But it was always a fun class. :p

7. Dantana Skywalker

Dantana Skywalker Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 7, 2002
    I hate this year. My sister-in-law had a psychotic break last night while driving, blew through a red light, and caused a mutli-car accident. She's in the hospital right now and I'm pretty sure her car, which I helped her pay for with no reimbursement, is totalled. *siiiigh*

8. Iverna

Feb 20, 2008
    Holy crap, I hope everyone involved is okay!

9. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Oh my. I hope no one was seriously injured. 2013 is just not your year.

I've learned through my aunts and uncles two important lessons for life: never go into business with your siblings or in-laws and never lend your siblings or in laws money.

LLL likes this.
  10. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    Try telling that to everyone who has reviewed my portfolio. They would rather hear that I had taken a class or two. No one likes hearing that you're self-taught. The School of Hard Knocks is knocked in the professional world.

Oh dear, I hope everyone's okay! Psychotic breaks are not very pretty, nor very fun. Does she have a history of mental illness? Has this happened before?

LLL likes this.
  11. Dantana Skywalker

Apr 7, 2002
    Yes, it's happened before. She says she's bipolar-schizophrenic, whatever that is. She's been relatively stable for a while, but I have no idea what's going on. The hospital won't talk to my brother because they're not actually married anymore, even though she kept his name and they're still romantically involved. It's a huge mess.

12. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    Is this an official diagnosis? Bipolar disorder can have some psychotic symptoms (I've witnessed those in my mom, who is bipolar) and can affect people in varying severity. So, a person can exhibit psychotic symptoms without the additional diagnosis of schizophrenia. To meet the diagnosis of schizophrenia as well, other criteria would need to be met.

13. Dantana Skywalker

Apr 7, 2002
    It's an official diagnosis. She's on anti-psychotic medication. She regularly hears voices, even on the meds, and thinks she has a guardian angel and a demon fighting over her all the time. She texts me in the middle of the night to ask me for help with getting them to leave her alone, but I don't know what to do.

14. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    Hm... Next time she asks you for help, text her back, telling her to tell them that they had better leave her alone, else you'll come after them. And believe me, they do not want to see you angry. You'll smite them back into the ether.

I'm actually being serious about this. I thwarted a relative's voices by talking back to them as if they were in the room. It's not necessarily the greatest of therapy, but in a pinch, it does work sometimes.

So, her meds obviously have not been helping. Does she attend therapy? Dealing with complex mental illness is more than taking pills. Therapists teach you ways to cope.

15. Dantana Skywalker

Apr 7, 2002
    She hasn't, to my knowledge. Says she doesn't have the time or money, even though she'd definitely qualify for the same place I get my therapy. And she sleeps all day, so she'd have time if she got up before 3 PM. They may require her to go now. And maybe take her license. She works as a pizza delivery driver, so I don't know how that's going to go.

It's been snowing here again. I don't like snow. The city doesn't always plow our street, since we're on this little dead end, and so going anywhere on the days they don't plow is a nightmare. Not that I have any money to go anywhere or do anything at the moment. I spent all my available funds on getting my car repaired, to the tune of $286. And I still have to get it inspected and registered this week.

16. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    In my area, there is a partial-hospitalization program. Usually, people who have just come out of the hospital attend the program. It's an all-day structured group therapy program that teaches various ways to deal with stress, and it promotes socializing within a controlled environment. The program I went to has a bus service that picks you up in the morning and takes you home in the afternoon. If no one suggests such a program, suggest that they look into one. It's very helpful, and I credit it with helping me get on my feet after two hospitalizations.

17. Dantana Skywalker

Apr 7, 2002
    There's something similar here. I haven't used it myself, but I know of it. It's just difficult to make someone do something when they don't want to. And my brother can't make her do anything because he's disabled, himself, and can't drive.

I'm on a big POTC kick lately. I need to watch "Dead Man's Chest" for my next 'fic, unless I want to set something between the one I just finished and DMC, since it's about six months' time between. Hmm.

18. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    I've been on an RPG kick... and a Phoenix Wright kick... and now I'm sitting here in bed with my laptop on my knees, considering watching some Atop the Fourth Wall before calling it a night.

19. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Oh dear. We are actually going through something similar with my great-grandmother. Her dementia has apparently progressed to the point where she believes the devil is following her and she's hearing church music all the time. According to my second cousin, she hasn't slept in weeks (since my mother left there), so they're all taking turns in pairs staying up all night to watch her. She needs to go into a home, but she refuses. I personally don't see her lasting till the summer. It's her 90th birthday in July and a few of us here on the west coast talked about going to the east coast to be there, but we don't really see the point in spending all that money. Even if she does see her birthday, she won't recognize any of us.

I hope things get better for you and your family.

The city rarely clears our streets, yet we live next to an elementary school. Thankfully it had been a very mild winter.

20. Dantana Skywalker

Apr 7, 2002
    I'm doing some RP on livejournal with some CSI characters. They're discussing the loaded cannon discovered last week in Central Park.

That's so sad. :( I'm sorry, Briannakin. *hugs* My grandmother passed away in October. I didn't get to see her before she went, because I was having an MRI on my head at the time.

Can't she be involuntarily taken to one? They did that for my great-grandfather's wife (I refuse to call her my great-grandmother) when her dementia got out of hand.

21. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    My grandmother is in a similar situation. She needs to be in a home, but she refuses to go to one. On top of that, her insurance won't cover it, and she would need to sell her house. She's in a rehab facility at the local Lutheran home, but only for a few weeks. I haven't yet been able to visit due to strep. But, that's getting better now. Apparently, according to my brother who had seen her, she has been putting on an act. My dad said she was starting to lose her faculties, but when my brothers and her pastor saw her while my dad wasn't there, she is still pretty damn sharp.

Makes me rightfully suspicious...

22. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Her main care-taker is one of my great aunts (she herself is 73 and actually wants to to go into a home or like a retirement apartment) is thinking about just waiting until my great grandmother completely losses it, which at the rate she is going, should only be another week or two. She figures with the help of all her children and grandchildren, she can put up with it for another 14 days to save herself the fight.

Trak, I think you have the right to be suspicious.

23. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    Another thing that raised a flag for me was how my dad described their living situation. My dad lives with my grandma in her house. He described it as my grandma living with him. The pastor also notices that my grandma acts different when my dad is in the room.

The biggest hurdle in getting my grandma into a home is money. It is prohibitively expensive. And insurance will not cover it.

*shakes fist at healthcare system.*

24. Iverna

Feb 20, 2008
    I meant learning-wise. If we're talking in terms of getting a job - honestly, none of my clients have ever asked me about qualifications. Maybe if you start off by approaching big companies or publishers, they'll want qualifications, or experience, or both, but if you start off freelancing for individuals or small companies, no one cares about qualifications. And you'll gain experience, official experience, for when you try for a job with a bigger company. At least that's my model. It seems to be working so far. *shrugs*

As far as dementia goes, just to point out, it's entirely possible for a patient to be confused sometimes and be fine the next day. It depends on a lot of factors. But frequently, when they know that special visitors are coming or something, they'll get themselves together and put on an act of being fine for a few hours. My grandfather's like that. He's always fine on the phone or when we visit, but the people who see him every day tell a different story.

25. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    Dementia is evil and cruel to all who are affected by it (not only the person with the illness). My mum's stepdad (only mentioning that because I am glad it doesn't run in my family) became a completely different person, almost over night (I've seen it happen before to others struck by it). My sweet, loving, funny Grandad became violent and dangerous enough to staff and himself where he had to go into a secure facility. I'm SO glad I never saw him like that, because that wasn't Vic...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.