main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Technological Terrors of Episode 7 - Ships, Guns, Weapons and Superweapons Thread

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by The Hellhammer, Feb 23, 2013.

1. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    Throughout the Star Wars saga, we've encountered some of the most impressive and iconic machines of war and high-tech weapons to hit the big screen.
    The new trilogy is sure to give us quite a few interesting new weapon concepts, be they starships, artillery or small hand held devices.

I thought it would be fun to get a bit of wild speculation going on about the various forms of weaponary you think we'll see in ST. At this point, with absolutely no information about the movies and most certainly nothing about such specifics as individual weapons - wild speculation is all we can do!

One of my favorite weapons is the Seismic charge that Jango Fett uses in AOTC. It left a very strong impression, as it was something original that I totally did not expect and was slightly taken aback by it's sound effect for the first time I saw the movie.

For ST - I'm kinda against having a superweapon be a part of a story. SW kinda did overuse them in general, and if there is some kind of ultra powerful weapon I'd prefer it went along the lines of Star Forge from KOTOR instead of straight blowing up planets and stars.

Your thoughts/ideas/wishes on ST technological terrors to come?

2. Echo-07

Echo-07 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2012
    How about a very large space station with the power to detroy entire planets. :p

Ditto. I think we'll see some new/evolved technology but we've done the superweapon idea twice. I'd rather see a seuper terror in the flessh, IE in the form of a villain, which is why i keep saying Mandalorians. They have a history of violence, are bloodthirsty mercanaries and have had very little movie apparences, Jango and Boba only whett the appetite for more of their kind IMO and would help provide more backstory for any possible Fett spinoff/TV show called Underworld.

Darth_Pevra and TreborSabreon like this.
  3. GlueParkEnigma

GlueParkEnigma Jedi Master star 1

Nov 10, 2012
    It would be good to actually see why the ability to destroy an entire planet is insignificant next to the power of the force.

Live, Love, Learn & Laugh

4. Braxus

Braxus Jedi Master star 1

Jul 8, 2001
    Biological warfare will most likely be introduced in EpVII, hence the super mutants of different fractions/clans.

Joe Antonetti and Dra--- like this.
  5. Boxster

Boxster Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 13, 2005
    Maybe they will have handphones and internet this time.

6. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    I'll settle for captured Star Destroyers decked out in Republic red, thanks. :p

7. Placeholder

Placeholder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 30, 2013
    I think we might see something more akin to terrorism. Movies reflect the age they are made in.

Edit: To be clear, that is more of a prediction than a want or a desire. I'd rather see old school Star Wars. But I think it's a strong possibility.

TreborSabreon likes this.
  8. darthtuttle

darthtuttle Jedi Master star 4

Apr 2, 2004
    Some type of electromagnetic pulse weapon. an emp could disable starthips and take out communication. jango's seismic charges are too easy to avoid. bio weaponry could be good. A nuclear bomb could also do well, especially on coruscant. one thing i liked from the eu was cloaked asteroids.

9. Placeholder

Placeholder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 30, 2013
    Those seismic charges were pretty cool. I did like those

10. Graphic

Graphic Jedi Master star 2

Nov 18, 2012
    The Superlightsaber. Needs 7 Jedi to hold it!

fistofan1 and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  11. Buddha Fett

Buddha Fett Force Ghost star 4

Dec 18, 1999

I think that was pretty well explained in ANH when Obi-Wan contacted Luke after he'd passed on and instructed Luke to 'use the Force' to enable him to single-handedly destroy the Death Star.

12. Dra---

Dra--- Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2012
    Superweapons are an essential part of space opera. The stakes have to be big in films like these.

I'd like to see a plague weapon, something really terrifying that either mutates the entire populace, or offers a horrible, painful death.

DarthKreVass likes this.
  13. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Yah, the PT was distinctly lacking in superweapons but I can see the logic in that A) various teases about the Death Star laid out throughout B) it would be silly to have an Even More Powerfull-er Death Star in an earlier era. C) by teasing it in the PT it builds up the threat of the Death Star more so it's reveal in the OT is huge. Also Death Star 2 was viewed as kind of a cheat in ROTJ, a retread. But, on the flipside for the ST, where exactly can you go to make a better superweapon? The darn thing blew up entire planets! This is where you can trend into the EU in Jedi Academy where there's the sun crusher, it can blow up entire star systems by blowing up the sun! But is bigger going to be better?

Basically, I think the Death Star is the pinnacle of how far you can take the superweapon concept. You can't get bigger than that. So instead of One Big Death Star that most of the movie is centered around, put in, like, 8 of 'em all fully armed and operational across the galaxy that the bad guys have. Then the good guys take over one! And then we get a battle of the Death Stars! Hells ya!

Death T and Dra--- like this.
  14. obi_kenobi_24

obi_kenobi_24 Force Ghost star 4

Aug 17, 2003
    Maybe finding this Super Weapon/ Powerful Item is the plot of the movie

You have a bunch of different factions with different motivations...wiping out and back stabbing whoever the hell gets in their way

15. Braxus

Braxus Jedi Master star 1

Jul 8, 2001
    And people say my ideas suck ...

Graphic likes this.
  16. gregvader123

gregvader123 Jedi Padawan star 2

Nov 16, 2012
    So you want a zombie Star Wars?

17. Darth Downunder

Darth Downunder Chosen One star 6

Aug 5, 2001
    How about biological weapons. The bad guys could infect people with evil midichlorians

...no, I'm not serious

18. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    If there even was a superweapon or, to put it clearly, a device/technology that has some "super" capabilites - it would be better if it's something a bit more interesting than simply blowing **** up.
    I mentioned the Star Forge which can churn out a billion warships a day as an example. Perhaps something along those lines, a device that can be used for destruction but not necessarily.
    That would create additional drama if the characters have to make a choice of, for example, keeping the technology for themselves, to use for "good" and risk it again falling into enemy hands. OR destroying it and thus ridding the galaxy of something potentially very beneficial. A bit cliche, yeah, but to be honest I'm making this up as I go, hah.

Anyway, something that is powerful but maybe a bit more abstract and/or indirect than just blowing up a planet or a sun.

As for the regular weapons, maybe some more flame based weapons. Space napalm? Must smell great in the morning...

19. Dra---

Dra--- Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2012
    Not zombies, but some other sort of mutant. Something disgusting.

20. Joe

Joe Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 25, 2012
    I like the idea of a bioweapon as long as it doesn't promote a story too similar to IV and VI. If it was just a weapon the big bad uses, it'd be better.

21. fistofan1

fistofan1 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2009
    I don't know about you guys, but if the Galaxy Gun isn't prominently featured in the ST I will feel cheated and lied to.

:p

JackG and Dra--- like this.
  22. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    C'mon, they line up two death stars and then another death star shows up and blows up two death stars at once and everything explodes so you get two death stars exploding with the horizontal ring effect from the death star on one and the vertical ring explody effect on the second one and then then Han Solo piloting the captured death star says something witty like "Must be a bad day to be riding a Death Star, BOYA!" then confetti falls from the sky and people go yay! I'd watch that scene on a loop.

The_Hellhammer and Braxus like this.
  23. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
  24. gregvader123

gregvader123 Jedi Padawan star 2

Nov 16, 2012
    Yeah but Plagues and bioweapons and mutants dying horrible deaths? Star Wars is technically a kids movie. And I can't really see anything like that being other than zombie-like, or worse, X-men-like.

Star Wars already did the death star one too many times and I'm sure the EU beat super weapons to death. Someone mentioned a galaxy gun above, WTF is that? Why not just bring out Mega Maid from Spaceballs? It's gimmicky. I'd rather see more epic battle scenes like Endor or Genosis than another super weapon.

25. Boba's Jetpack

Boba's Jetpack Jedi Youngling

Feb 24, 2013
    Nano Droids from the cartoon are a pretty scary idea.