main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Episode VII: Was Dark Empire on the right track?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Guy-Gone_Weird, Nov 1, 2012.

1. Dawud786

Dawud786 Chosen One star 5

Dec 28, 2006
    I'd buy that if any of that had actually been in the 8 books before Apocalypse.

2. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    I actually thought the interviews that were in the FOTJ thread back on the temp boards suggested the opposite? With the first books in the series already written while they were still operating under Plan A for Abeloth, and them only changing tactics mid-way through the series, hence why we were kept waiting and waiting for an explanation as book after book went by, because they hadn't worked it out themselves how they were going to actually re-design Abeloth until we finally got the explanation in Apocalypse.

3. Dawud786

Dawud786 Chosen One star 5

Dec 28, 2006
    Which is what actually makes sense. Mortis really came out of the blue. The Celestials thing makes sense, but for the Celestials to be connected to Mortis and Abeloth actually connected to the Ones was just out of the blue. Especially Abeloth and the Ones.

kataja likes this.
  4. Poli-Sci Jedi

Poli-Sci Jedi Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 27, 2013
    I absolutely loved the original Dark Empire. It's one of the few EU Star Wars stories that was really epic. I heard once that Lucas gave out copies of the comic as Christmas presents. Also, it's an eminently filmable story. I wouldn't be surprised if we some some of those themes in the sequels.

rumsmuggler likes this.
  5. Adrian the Cool

Adrian the Cool Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    Maybe Palpatine will be coming back in form of a giant red-glowing eye on the topmost tower of the Imperial Palace on Coruscant or the Imperial Citadel on Byss.

Zorrixor and fett 4 like this.
  6. _Catherine_

_Catherine_ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 16, 2007
    Yeah, thank god that's just a film thing or it would get really annoying. :p

Zorrixor, kubricklynch and fett 4 like this.
  7. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    The question will then be, has he achieved level 12 Sith status and be able to do Force Lightning :)

8. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    Hmm Mortis I thought was crap, though I kind of got the idea they were trying to do even if it failed.

As for Dark Empire, that was even worse in jmo, I even understood why Zahn tried to retcon it in his HoT books because it was that bad.
    Leaving aside the shoddy artwork and concentrating just on the story, lets see a Reborn Emperor (who doesn't look like the Emperor) with lots of Super weapons shows up, who Luke decides to join to for no real reason thus negating both his own character development and his fathers redemption in the last film, while Boba Fett shows up and proceeds to chase Han and Leia around for no real reason other than to give them something to do :rolleyes:

Darth_Foo and Darth_Pevra like this.
  9. Poli-Sci Jedi

Jan 27, 2013
    I thought the darker path for Luke was really interesting. I liked how Luke wasn't just an action hero. Lucas has even said that he probably would have taken Luke into a darker place had the saga continued. I think Dark Empire really emphasized the power of Luke and Leia's Jedi bond and gives Leia some real character growth - something we haven't seen in the rest of the EU. In DE II, we even see Luke fall in love, which was sweet.

Also, the Emperor being reborn wasn't supposed to look like the Emperor - it was a clone! And for Fett - well, for Fett fans Dark Empire was the first indication that Fett had survived after ROTJ, so that was exciting back in the day.

As for the artwork - Cam Kennedy's simplistic monochromatic art I liked, although the artwork in Empire's End was atrocious.

I don't want Abrams to film Dark Empire on screen, but I would like him to capture that sense of epicness and give the characters some real character development that we saw in DE.

10. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    I must admit, for what it was, I really enjoyed Mortis. I found the concept of the three force avatars interesting and we saw some of Anakins and Ahsokas inner workings. Apparently Anakin is unstable enough that the knowledge of his future is sufficient to turn him to the dark side. The Son was interesting too. He is one of the few darkside entities capable of showing love, though a twisted variety. How Sith deal with feelings of love is something that fascinated me since Darth Vader (and it's a reason I love KotoR II so dearly). If you look closely at the Sith code, love is not forbidden. Anyway, the Mortis episodes are allegorical. I don't really include them in my personal canon.

Though I must admit I'm not really into past-ROTJ-EU, so I can't say anything about Mortis representation there.

As for Dark Empire, my opinion mirrors that of Fett 4. I don't want to see that plot repeated in Episode VII or ... ever.

fett 4 likes this.
  11. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    The timeline is really neat.

12. Poli-Sci Jedi

Jan 27, 2013
    I don't think any of us want the specific plot repeated. But like the original Forum prompt said, maybe the movie could take a cue from the character development (Luke falling to the Dark Side, Leia rescuing him) and the epic scale. The actual plot of Palpatine back with more superweapons was pretty weak. (but I guess DE just took its cue from ROTJ, which came back with another Death Star).

On your other point though, I think a Sith with feelings of love would be a great way to make the villain a bit more morally ambiguous and interesting.

13. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    I don't want Luke falling to the dark side. He already resisted the dark in ROTJ in an epic confrontation, so why should he fall afterwards?

If any of the Vaderkids is suited for the dark its Leia with her repressed anger and know it all attitude (I still really like Leia). She would make a terrific Sith.

14. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    No the timeline isn't, I hate everything they came up with for the post-NJO, Jacen's fall, death, and lack of redemption, the deaths of many characters I liked, Daala as Chief of State, and Abeloth/Mortis. I expected something so completely different from what we got, the Solo twins becoming the leaders of the NJO, in other words, the passing of the torch, not the ruining of Jacen by making him a facsimile of his grandfather during the Clone Wars.

Rew and Poli-Sci Jedi like this.
  15. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Neat as in not messy, continuity wise.

16. Zeta1127

Sep 2, 2012
    Messy as in a disaster from a storytelling perspective. I had quit saying the post-NJO storyline in the months since I made that post.

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  17. Adrian the Cool

Sep 3, 2012
    In FOTJ, Luke Skywalker is sending a Jedi team to Mortis, to find the dagger that the Son has used to kill the Daughter, to defeat Abeloth. So, it's real.

18. Riven_JTAC

Riven_JTAC Jedi Master star 4

Jun 28, 2011
    Please tell me your joking.

19. Zeta1127

Sep 2, 2012
    No joke, Mortis got shoehorned into Apocalypse, the last book of FotJ.

20. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    I don't give a ****. Anything I dislike about Star Wars Canon like Mortis being physical I simply ignore.

Grey1 likes this.
  21. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    It was also referenced in Darth Plagueis in a context which implied it was real.

22. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    A powerful enough metaphor grows its own truth.

cthugha likes this.
  23. Adrian the Cool

Sep 3, 2012
    OK, I'm just joking.

Rew and Zeta1127 like this.
  24. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    I don't know why people ever thought those episodes were allegorical. The beginning and end of the arc make clear that it really did all happen, and that they remember it, that it wasn't just a dream.

25. Zeta1127

Sep 2, 2012
    I don't know why those episodes even exist, and George Lucas isn't an excuse.