main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit A/V Clone Wars Continuity Discussion (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by sabarte, May 12, 2008.

1. TheRedBlade

TheRedBlade Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 17, 2007
    Edit: Nevermind about the map

Also, I would say making Barris the secret villain would be the biggest dump this show has taken on continuity, but... Darth Maul. Also, the Trade Federation. So, in short, changing the age, characterization, and likely death of a major pre-established character would only be the show's third biggest crime.

2. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    That's actually much nicer than the names I had for him in my head.

I didn't even hear a "sorry guys" in his attitude in the commentary. More like "I'm TCW god, I do whatever the hell I want, and if you choose not to accept it, oh well, tough **** for you."

Nubbs and CT-867-5309 like this.
  3. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    I highly doubt that. I thought the first Coruscant Nights book was written well before its release. They basically ripped off the plot point, it's not an amazing coincidence.

4. Darth_Zandalor

Darth_Zandalor Jedi Master star 4

Aug 2, 2009
    This is why animators should not become directors. See also: Aliens versus Predator Requiem for similar results. That's the level I'm putting TCW at from now on.

CT-867-5309 and Esg like this.
  5. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Yeah. Just caught the episode, and I think they're telegraphing the identity of the assailant from miles away. I'm hoping that they're using misdirection but TCW's really not that subtle, and that Filoni commentary basically confirms it.

I really don't understand this. What's the purpose?

kubricklynch, CT-867-5309 and Esg like this.
  6. Darth_Zandalor

Aug 2, 2009
    Hack writers and a man who has no place in the director's chair.

7. Lugija

Lugija Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2009
    In the next week's episode, GrandAdmiralJello is retconned to be a separatist sympathizer.

Plaristes, JackG, RC-1991 and 6 others like this.
  8. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    For those talking about lack of subtlety, should realise that a show that has the Imperial March playing every time Anakin (he's gonna be Darth Vader you know) gets moody is not that subtle to begin with.

9. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Yeah, but that happens whenever I get moody too. :p

10. Darth_Zandalor

Aug 2, 2009
    And every time they do that I feel the urge to slap Filoni.

anakinfansince1983 and Esg like this.
  11. Lugija

Lugija Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2009
    Well I put the Ark theme on background every single time I open parcels so I'm not one to complain.

12. Esg

Esg Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    Filoni and co giving us the finger as usual

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  13. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    He wasn't even being subtle about giving us the finger this time.

But as you all have said, subtlety is not his strong suit.

my kind of scum, CT-867-5309 and Esg like this.
  14. Esg

Esg Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    Only the dead can know peace from such hack writing

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  15. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Yeah, like -- I'm pretty charitable when it comes to these things. I rarely accuse writers of deliberately messing with us (except, say, Lucas's ROTJ edits) but Filoni seemed rather pleased with himself at the idea that a lot of fans would take it poorly.

Also, re: the Imperial March -- yeah, on reflection it's used a lot in TCW but the way it was used with the Palpatine episode was great because it was blended with the Emperor's theme and so it sounded more foreboding than usual.

CT-867-5309 and Esg like this.
  16. Esg

Esg Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
  17. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    Is it possible it's not directed at us, but the shippers?

Nah.

18. 07jonesj

07jonesj Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2010
    In that case, it's as pointless as if they actually use Barriss Offee as the culprit here. Is it really that hard to invent a new character? Could you really not have created another Jedi out of the thousands that are running around during this era?

Ugh.

Mia Mesharad, Esg and my kind of scum like this.
  19. Rogue_Follower

Rogue_Follower Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2003
    Don't worry, they'll just get replaced by Ahsoka/Ventress shippers. Or Ahsoka/Ventress/Offee.

I'm torn on this. A new character would work better with continuity, but it would lack the emotional impact. For example, we didn't really care that Krell betrayed the Republic. We barely knew him. He was just some dude with issues. We cared about the clones, maybe, but not Krell.

In contrast, this current situation feels like a betrayal. Not just of Ahsoka in-universe, but of the audience as well. I wonder whether that's intentional. If it is, I give them extra credit.

Still don't like it, though.

20. GGrievous

GGrievous Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2005
    Yeah, I could see that. But it seems like they're playing a game. :p

21. 07jonesj

Aug 16, 2010
    That's the thing though... just going on this show, I care more about Krell than Barriss. The last she appeared was Season 2, and she wasn't exactly given the most in-depth character exploration. The only people who really care about Barriss are the people who read the EU, and they're the only ones who are going to be ****ed off.

So to do it for shock value is the least thought out move I've seen in this show. The people who've just watched the show are just going to think of her as villain-of-the-arc, never to be seen again. I'm sure they'll push the sad music at you, though.

Mia Mesharad likes this.
  22. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    LACWAC is way ahead of you.

23. 07jonesj

Aug 16, 2010
    I'm going to go ahead and say that I've seen fanfic of this all the way back in 2009. Never underestimate the shippers.

24. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Given Ahsoka and Barriss' history in the show, I can totally see why they'd use her when looking at TCW as a self-contained story. It sucks that it seems to be working out this way, but I think it's idiotic to believe that Filoni is doing it just to mess with continuity. If anything, he's just accepted that people are going to read malicious intent into everything and he's just stopped giving a crap.

The only thing I'm having trouble with is her motivation--random, Krell-style evil? She'd just claim responsibility and take off. Moral objection to the war? Then why frame Ahsoka personally?

My assumption from the beginning is that this is Palpatine ruining Anakin and Ahsoka's relationship to get her out of his way--to the point that I figured the hidden choker was Maul--but...I just don't see how Barriss could fit into that. Also, remember that Ahsoka didn't detect another Fore-user at the prison. Even going solely by G-Canon, Sith can do that; but can padawans?

Edit: also, given that I named my cat Barriss, this whole conversation is striking a very odd tone for me.

25. Rogue_Follower

Rogue_Follower Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2003
    Yes, but have they gotten to Ahsoka/Ventress/Offee/Chuchi/Padme/Snootles/Burtoni yet, hmmmm? Ridiculous slash love triangles are soooo last decade. Septagons are where it's at now.

Maybe Barriss is Dooku's new apprentice. [face_tired]

RC-1991 and darthcaedus1138 like this.