main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Technological Terrors of Episode 7 - Ships, Guns, Weapons and Superweapons Thread

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by The Hellhammer, Feb 23, 2013.

1. yggdrasil311

yggdrasil311 Jedi Master star 3

Oct 7, 2004
    One thing I REALLY enjoyed from the Force Unleashed series was the use of Rancor's as riding beasts. I'd love to see them used more, specially the Bull Rancor. Possibly even modified and controlled.

In addition, I'd like to see the remnants of the Empire's weaponry being smuggled/used and cracked to make even more insane weaponry.

2. DARTHLARS

DARTHLARS Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 12, 2002
    I find it logical that a superweapon would need massive resources to build and that you would practically have to be in control of the whole Republic/Empire to be able to gather those resources. That is a reason why it was only the Empire who built them.

Comm link. Holonet.

Ion cannon. Ordinary starships have "shielded circuitry" to survive EMP.

TreborSabreon likes this.
  3. Boba's Jetpack

Boba's Jetpack Jedi Youngling

Feb 24, 2013
    Hopefully something a bit more terrifying than the battle droids from the PT, mean a temperamental toaster holds more fear. I'll bet Rick McCallum told GL Battle Droids gave him night terrors and were the way to go.

4. LANDO_ROCKS

LANDO_ROCKS Force Ghost star 5

Nov 28, 2002
    I think the Clones were the 'superweapon' of the PT, after all if you think about it their existence was shrouded in secrecy (like the Death Star) and once unleashed they had a pivotal role in advancing the plot.

I'd wager that the ST will be on more of a human scale than the PT, with a 'less is more' approach to the technological terrors. If you are holding your breath for a Death Star Mk 3 then I think you may be disappointed.

5. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    ^ Derp, you're right the Clones were totally the PT superweapon. Completely blanked on that. Hurm, now you figured the ST would do SOMETHING superweapon-ish, right? Maybe personified in a person. "I am so full of the dark side I can literally kill entire cities with my brain!" or something, yadda yadda yadda. Technological military advancement is a running sub-theme of the saga, the battle droids in TPM were intentionally meant to be wimpy because the Jedi "slice through them like butter" (direct quote from Lucas to Spielberg) cuz then you need to introduce the clones in Ep. 2.

6. LANDO_ROCKS

Nov 28, 2002
    I'm not sure you NEED a super weapon, just a 'super danger'. After all the series is called 'Star Wars' and to have a war all you need is one faction (or several) fighting another/others.

PT - good guys in power, bad guys in shadows trying to overthrow them to control universe.
    OT - bad guys in power, good guys in shadows trying to overthrow them to control universe.
    ST - ???

My best guess is that you'll have a sort of stalemate in the ST, a relative peace but with rival factions ruling bits and pieces of the universe.

You'll have some sort of 'insurrection' or 'arab spring' type event being orchestrated by the bad guys, possibly with echoes of the terrorism that we face in the real world.

7. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Yeah but a part of war is technological advancement. I'd be down if they hit an armed race stalemate but a part of me does want to see a big ole game changer superweapon. I have no idea what form it would take or if you could even pull it off after the Death Star. Which goes back to what I said on page one, Death Star arms race! You got A Death Star? We have Six! BOYA!

8. LANDO_ROCKS

Nov 28, 2002
    I hope you are joking? Once you can destroy planets what is left? Something that can destroy universes?

9. darthtuttle

darthtuttle Jedi Master star 4

Apr 2, 2004
    I want to see more than just disabling. I want some mass planet wide communication breakdown.

10. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    Again - the potential super-technology does not have to be outright destructive.
    It can be a means to an end, whatever that end may be.

Or, we could have a person be a sort of superweapon - I think someone mentioned it here earlier. Someone who uses the Force to such a destructive degree that it can be classified as a superweapon.

11. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Nah, you can't go "bigger" with the SW superweapon concept, the Death Star is the end result of that, all you can really do is just have an arms race between the two sides. Y'know how Russia and the USA stockpile nukes (yeah, they don't as much anymore but the still have a shocking amount of them around)? change that to Death Stars. Or the one-guy-as-superweapon that I mentioned above. Akira anyone? TEUSA!!!!!!!