main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Award Season Discussion!

Discussion in 'Community' started by Adam of Nuchtern, Dec 7, 2012.

1. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Eh, I'm not as attuned to the BAFTAs as I am to the Oscars.

2. Lowbacca_1977

Lowbacca_1977 Chosen One star 7

Jun 28, 2006
    Emmanuelle Riva is a nominee for the Oscars too, and that was one heck of a performance by her.

3. MrZAP

MrZAP Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 2, 2007
    Well it's that time of year again where I go into Oscar frenzy. I'm sure none of you care about my pre-ceremony antics, but I figured I'd say say them anyway because why the hell not. tl;dr at the bottom; you guys know how I can sometimes write walls of text.

Oscar Night is one of my favorite nights of the year. I know it's just an awards ceremony of industry members patting each other on the back, and I know it's all subjective, and I know it has some stupid biases that I hate (anti animation, anti-speculative fiction, anti-comedy, etc.) and frequently makes choices I disagree with (I still think Frank Langella should have won for Frost/Nixon...) but the truth is it's just so much fun. I love the spectacle, and I love the anticipation, and I love the celebration of great movies, which most all of the nominated films are. As someone who's grown up in L.A. and who's dad's been in the industry since before I was born )and someone who's taken a few film classes himself), I've really come to appreciate film and the film industry a lot, and I love talking about it and praising what's good and blasting what isn't and so on, and I also like to think I know more about it a bit more than the average layperson. And in the past few years especially I've used the Oscars as a catalyst to get me to watch as many nominees as possible for the ceremony in the weeks-long interval, as a kind of marker for some great films from the past year that I may have missed. And in those weeks I watch many wonderful films and have a blast, sometimes watching two or even three in a row. After that I get to try to be objective and try to anticipate what will win what award. And I find this guessing game to be fun too. I give myself rules. I don't like making a pick for a category unless I've seen the majority of the films (preferably a 2/3 majority) in the category, and I make two lists; one is a list of what I WANT to win, and one is a list of what I THINK will win, and part of the fun is hoping that they coincide and seeing how close they do. And sometimes on the night itself I arrange to see them with a few friends and we have a little Oscar party, and it's a good time.

So yeah, I know a lot of people rag on them or have given up on them or find them silly or useless, but I love the Oscars, warts and all.

This year I've started my film viewing rush way later than usual due to time constraints, and the short of it is I have about 4/12 days to watch 13 screeners and hopefully go to the theater once as well. I'd like to see at least most of the BP nominees before the ceremony.

The nominees I have seen in the past year:
    Zero Dark Thirty
    Argo
    Les Miserables
    Brave (thrice; twice in theaters, once as a screener)
    The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey
    Prometheus

Of the three BP noms I've seen, I absolutely loved Zero Dark Thirty, thought Argo was decent but I didn't stick with me nearly as much as ZDT, and was lukewarm about Les Mis (of course it was a great story and the music stuck with me for days, but I didn't feel it was actually a good adaptation in a lot of ways and am actually somewhat baffled at all of the noms, especially for Hathaway), so ZDT is my current pick of what I'd like to win. Loved Brave, and of course loved The Hobbit (though I overhyped myself a bit, as I figured I probably would). Prometheus was meh, coming from someone who hasn't seen any of the other films in the series. Out of those my Tolkien fanboy heart wants to say The Hobbit was my favorite, but I'm honestly not 100% sure if it's that or ZDT; I think I have to watch The Hobbit again.

With 4 1/2 days to go I have a LOT of screeners. Going to see if I can somehow actually make it through the following films without neglecting my studies and so on:
    Lincoln
    Silver Linings Playbook
    Life of Pi
    Amour
    Flight
    Moonrise Kingdom
    The Impossible
    The Master
    Wreck-It Ralph
    ParaNorman
    Frankenweenie
    Anna Karenina
    Skyfall

Plus I have a free AMC pass that I'm going to use to see Django Unchained. Hopefully I'll at least be able to get through all of the BPs sans Beasts of the Southern Wild (which honestly doesn't really sound like my cup of tea anyway).

I also have Cloud Atlas, Hyde Park on Hudson, and Promised Land if I have time later on, though those will probably have to wait until after the show.

Based on my tastes I know I'll probably love Lincoln, Amour, The Impossible, Wreck-It Ralph, and Anna Karenina while finding most of the others pretty decent (though I'm hesitant about Moonrise Kingdom, The Master, and Frankenweenie).

tl;dr I LIEK THE OSCARS!!! And have a buttload of movies to watch in the next few days.

DarthTunick likes this.
  4. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    coverage is about to start, though i guess there's an hour and a half until the actual ceremony. i have people coming over so won't be able to post much. excited though!

5. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    It's the annual gathering of myself, my mother & aunt for Oscar night... wouldn't have it any other way.

6. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    I'm in bunches!

7. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    My breath is coming in short pant . . . er, no.

I'll be in church! And no we are not having a special Oscar service! Expect the winner to the Oscar contest tomorrow!

I also never posted my picks! ARRRGH! And I did a whole document in which I not only made a pick in every category, but also typed a full paragraph for each category explaining all my rationale, etc. I have now apparently accidentally deleted said document. I amaze myself sometimes.

8. Only-One Cannoli

Only-One Cannoli Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003
    Nothing about the protest? Come on guiz.

9. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    What protest?

10. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
  11. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    I can't tell if the red carpet hosts are incredibly small or the actors and actresses they are questioning are gigantic.

12. Only-One Cannoli

Aug 20, 2003
  13. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    Ahhhh, got it now.

14. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    Charlize Theron towered over the lil white haired dude on the red carpet, and Daniel Radcliff is shorter than him. They are like smurf sized, 3 apples high.

15. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Man, I can't tell what's more insufferable, the red carpet hosts or the quizzes I'm grading right now.

Leaning towards the former.

16. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
  17. Only-One Cannoli

Aug 20, 2003
    I didn't know there were other vfx people on here [face_worried]

18. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    I think that's what she does, or something related at least.

19. Commander-DWH

Commander-DWH Manager Emeritus star 4

Nov 3, 2003
    Actually, I was picketing yesterday. If you want to know what the problem in the industry is right now, I suggest this post:

http://www.reddit.com/r/movies/comm...400_vfx_artists_protest_at_the_oscars/c8l8eg8

It's the best summary of everything that's wrong with the VFX industry right now. Also, this is some good reading:

http://vfxsoldier.wordpress.com/2013/02/24/an-open-letter-to-ang-lee/

20. Mortimer Snerd

Mortimer Snerd Force Ghost star 4

Dec 27, 2012
    [​IMG]

I know I'm late to the party, as usual, but I thought this should be shared.

MrZAP and DarthTunick like this.
  21. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    DarthTunick and EmpireForever like this.
  22. EmpireForever

EmpireForever Force Ghost star 8

Mar 15, 2004
    Came here to post that.

23. MistrX

MistrX Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2006
    Looks like my random "Curfew" pick paid off.

I learned this year that Best Editing is usually a sign of Best Picture. The More You Know. I personally didn't decide that Lincoln was losing for sure until Ang Lee won Director.

MrZAP likes this.
  24. MrZAP

MrZAP Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 2, 2007
    Well, it makes sense. Editing is essentially about what the end product of the film is like (well, at least visually) so it shouldn't be surprising that it's closely tied to Best Picture.

25. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    2013 Prime Time Emmy nominations.

Of note: Game of Thrones recieved 17 nominations, Netflix's House of Cards was nominated for Best Drama (a first for an Internet - only at the primetime Emmys), Benedict Cumberbatch still gets invited to the party, even if it's not for Sherlock, and one Downton Abby nom will make Everton happy.