main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit A/V Clone Wars Continuity Discussion (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by sabarte, May 12, 2008.

1. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    I'm not saying I don't believe it, I'm saying I want to see it and then deal with it like an adult rather than spend a week wetting myself over second-hand accounts on the internet.

Slater, Ghost, MistrX and 2 others like this.
  2. Esg

Esg Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    >Implying the anger isn't justified when they've done this before
    >Implying it's going to be competently executed

07jonesj likes this.
  3. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    I'm usually completely spoiler free myself, but is anyone really wetting themselves? I'm not.

People are just being fans discussing the latest development.

Even if people are overreacting, I don't see it doing any damage. I've pissed and moaned several times going into an episode only to enjoy it, so no harm done.

Esg and 07jonesj like this.
  4. Rogue_Follower

Rogue_Follower Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2003
    So I decided to go back and watched the Barriss parts of The Jedi Who Knew Too Much, just to see how much foreshadowing is in her dialog. Important parts bolded for emphasis:

[After the funeral]
    Ahsoka: "So what happens to Letta now?"
    Wilhuff: "The bomber has been moved."
    Ahsoka: "Moved? Where? Why should she be moved?"
    Wilhuff: "The Republic military has taken her into custody."
    Ahsoka: "Ugh! But why?! This is a Jedi matter, isn't it?"
    Wilhuff: "Clones were killed, which makes this terrorist attack a military matter. An attack on the Jedi is an attack on the Senate."
    Anakin: "Admiral Tarkin is right. Letta isn't a Jedi. It's for us to be judge and jury over a citizen of the Republic."
    Ahsoka: "If Letta's guilty, she's guilty. And she should be dealt with"
    Anakin: "Calm down, Ahsoka. Remember: revenge is not the Jedi way."
    Barriss: "The evidence seems clear, Ahsoka. Nothing will ever change."

[Later, when Ahsoka and Barriss are walking alone]
    Ahsoka: "Company?"
    Barriss: "Sure..."
    Ahsoka: "Every time I think about this, I feel conflicted. It's... hard not to let feelings turn into attachment and pain."
    Barriss: "Ahsoka. Have you ever wondered whether it was right to ignore your emotions?"
    Ahsoka: "My master would say, our struggle as Jedi is to move past them."
    Barriss: "You make it sound so easy."
    Ahsoka: "No, it isn't easy. But it's possible. Like when we were stuck inside the battle tank on Geonosis. It was hard not to be afraid, but, still, you and I got past it. And I guess we'll get past this."
    Barriss: "You've always been capable of seeing things clearly."
    Ahsoka: "Haha. I guess I fooled you like I have everyone else
    [comlink beep]
    Ahsoka: "Yes, master?"
    Anakin: "Ahsoka, we're needed in the war room. It appears the Separatists have mounted another attack."
    Ahsoka: "Coming, master!"
    Ahsoka, to Barriss: "Look. I have to believe that one way or another this woman's going to pay for what she did."
    Barriss: "You shouldn't keep your master waiting."

A little foreshadowing, I guess. Barriss has emotional issues, maybe? She seems very withdrawn the entire time, though one could expect that for someone leaving a funeral.

EDIT: Also pertinent:

[In prison]
    Ahsoka: "What's the truth?"
    Letta: "A Jedi. A Jedi showed me how to create the bomb. And how to put the nano-droids in."
    Ahsoka: "Why would a Jedi do this?"
    Letta: "There are some citizens of the Republic, like myself, who believe the Jedi order is not what it used to be. The Jedi have become warmongers. They've become military weapons. And they're killing when they should be keeping the peace. One of these Jedi agrees with us. One of you wants to make a statement. And is willing to attack your own order to do it."
    Ahsoka: o_O "Who?"
    Letta: "If you protect me, I will tell you. Because it is obvious to me that I have been set up!"
    Ahsoka: "Letta, you have to tell me who is behind this!"
    Letta: "It's..."
    [Force choke]

So. Barriss doesn't like that the Jedi have become militarized and are killing for the Republic, so she decides to... bomb them and kill people to make a statement? Mkay.

instantdeath likes this.
  5. Dawud786

Dawud786 Chosen One star 5

Dec 28, 2006
    Irked. Very, very irked.

6. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    OK, but why would Barriss suddenly have emotional issues that would lead her to blow up the Temple?

I found Anakin's behavior in ROTS a bit of a stretch and while that statement itself might be debatable, his emotional issues were obvious.

Esg likes this.
  7. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    I was describing my own response. :p

GGrievous and 07jonesj like this.
  8. 07jonesj

07jonesj Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2010
    So in regards to MedStar, is it possible that Barriss is a Knight here? So for MedStar to take place before this arc?

9. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Sure, anything is possible.

"Why bother" was my first response, though.

Esg likes this.
  10. Nom von Anor

Nom von Anor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 7, 2012
    Barriss being on Felucia during the events of ROTS is also mentioned in Republic#81: Luminara Unduli informs Quinlan that her former Padawan Barriss is now on Felucia with Aayla. I guess that part of the comic will become problematic now...

Maybe Luminara had two Padawans named Barriss Offee :p8-}[face_plain]

11. RG4

RG4 Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 16, 2013
    So the Jedi healer Barriss thinks the best to way to make a statement other than speaking out saying the Jedi need to take a less active roll in the war is bomb a hanger killing Jedi,workers,clones and a close friend.

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  12. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    Guys, guys, guys.

It's called the CLONE wars, for a reason. [face_whistling]

13. Rogue_Follower

Rogue_Follower Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2003
    My god, you're right! And why even stop with two?!

Baris Offee
    Baris Ofee
    Baris Offe
    Baris Ofe
    Barris Offee
    Barris Ofee
    Bariss Offe
    Bariss Ofe
    Bariss Offee
    Bariss Ofee
    Bariss Offe
    Bariss Ofe
    Barriss Offee
    Barriss Ofee
    Barriss Offe
    Barriss Ofe
    Beariss Offee*
    et cetera

*An alternate universe bear version of Barriss Offee:
    [​IMG]

14. GunganSlayer

GunganSlayer Jedi Master star 4

Jan 24, 2013
    I don't even....

At times it's like Filoni and Co deliberately go out of their way to screw with EU continuity. Why Barriss, why? What's the point? I love that we have a Jedi character that is doing these actions, because it's a given that due to the nature of the war and the roles the Jedi have, some Jedi are going to have vast ideological differences. But again, why make Barriss that particular individual? The show could have just made a new character some seasons back that was Ahsoka's friend. Or they could have used one of those younglings or something, I dunno. Just about anything that you can imagine is better than using Barriss for this role.

Filoni's commentary was almost insulting in some ways, too. He's like "oh I know some of you are going to be disappointed, but you just have to accept the way things are because I say so."

I'll give them credit that a lot of the things they do on the show doesn't necessarily conflict with other already established events, but sometimes they pull such a head-scratching move like this, or like Even Piell, that I'm just left frustrated and almost uninterested with TCW.

Esg likes this.
  15. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    And that commentary sums up how Filoni really feels.

I'm actually sorry that I've defended him at times.

CT-867-5309, JackG, Nubbs and 5 others like this.
  16. Darth_Zandalor

Darth_Zandalor Jedi Master star 4

Aug 2, 2009
    I quit. That is just absolute horse osik. I gave up on this show once before with that Aurra Sing crap they pulled, but this is just beyond insulting. They took one of my favorite characters, twisted her into this moronic plot thread, and all Filoni has to say is "screw you guys who can't accept it nyah nyah nyah".

How long until you blame Lucas for this one [snip]?

RF edit: Watch it. Filoni is still covered under the Lit "no author bashing" rules.

17. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    MEANWHILE, AT TCW HQ...

FILONI:
    Why is everyone so ****ing stupid? Why aren't people more intelligent, like me?

I'm Filoni,
    Filoni,
    Filoni -- the Lit board will moan

'Coz they don't
    trust Filoni,
    or like what The Clone Wars has shown.

I work really hard and make up great plans
    to rewrite this BS I don't understand,
    you losers take canon too seriously!

And I am Filoni!
    (David Filoni)
    Screw continuity.

18. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    They actually changed Barriss' age? I assumed she was just meant to be an "older sister" figure to Ahsoka.

19. Darth_Zandalor

Aug 2, 2009
    As far as I'm concerned he's less an author and more a troll who writes episodes based on his playtime with Star Wars action figures, RF.

Esg likes this.
  20. Esg

Esg Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    I'm just going to pretend this is a completely different Barris

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  21. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I agree, especially since he has said that he knew what kind of reaction this would get and he seems to be relishing in it.

22. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    Exactly. If the intent is to make the betrayal feel more personal, they should have used a series regular, not one that appeared in one arc three seasons ago. As you say, this will only feel like a betrayal to EU readers, and Filoni knows they've had that enough.

Ulicus: That was beautiful. Oh, and Pearl Harbor sucked.

23. Darth_Zandalor

Aug 2, 2009
    Except there are no series regulars outside of Anakin, Ahsoka and Obi Wan. Anyone who looks like they might be an interesting recurring character is either killed off or left under a rock for three seasons before being dragged into the spotlight for idiotic reasons.

mnjedi and Esg like this.
  24. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    I'm just going to keep pretending TCW doesn't exist, because this is osik and its clearly never going to get better, only worse.

25. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    And that's what sucks! I remember the old webdoc he did for one of those Geonosis episodes -- he specified, quite clearly, that Barriss was supposed to be the sister role-model. At the time he was bragging about how they wanted strong female role models for girls watching the show. BLARG. What'd they do, trade Barriss for Ventress?