main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Rather annoyed....

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Jarren_Lee-Saber, Feb 20, 2013.

1. Jarren_Lee-Saber

Jarren_Lee-Saber Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2008
    The last DVD box set for Star Wars (before the excellent blu-rays) had excellent extras, documentaries, features, deleted scenes, etc on each film's disc 2 - but only for the Prequels!
    For the originals, instead of getting all that good stuff, a very vocal minority demanded the second disc be filled with the vastly inferior "OOT"!!

So yeah, thanks guys for ruining that!!
    (luckily it seems the blu-rays didn't fall for that, if only I had a blu-ray player!)

2. Joe

Joe Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 25, 2012
    Well, that's what happens. Hopefully now that the OOT is out, we can start to get the same great content the PT had.

3. Jarren_Lee-Saber

Apr 16, 2008
    I heard the blu-rays have a bunch of cool deleted scenes from the OT.....one day I'll be able to get that hopefully.

4. Jarren_Lee-Saber

Apr 16, 2008
  5. KilroyMcFadden

KilroyMcFadden Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 31, 2012
    You're welcome. :)

6. Jedi_Ford_Prefect

Jedi_Ford_Prefect Jedi Master star 4

Jun 9, 2003
    What bothers me even more is that the recent Blu Ray didn't include any of the Prequel deleted scenes from the previous DVD editions. How hard would it have been to include nice HD versions of all those scenes?

7. Fire_Ice_Death

Fire_Ice_Death Force Ghost star 7

Feb 15, 2001
    Well, you see making the HD transition was very difficult for, years Lucas would always mutter in his sleep, 'Nnn-laserdisc is superior!' And he'd wake up in cold sweats while cuddling his plush toy of Yoda. When dvd came around he threw up his nose not knowing why. And so with all of his hate for any other format he kept his hands off. But for blu-ray with everyone demanding an OOT in the last format he decided to teach them a lesson. So lesson learned: don't complain while he's counting his money.

To be continued...

Ten he sold it all to Disney. Aw man...not this **** again.

8. Jarren_Lee-Saber

Apr 16, 2008
    What needs to happen is a Extended Edition box set like they did for LOTR. Fix up & put all the deleted scenes from both the PT & the OT into the film itself, then riddle the 2nd discs with hours of docs & features. And leave the OOT in the sand of Tatooine where it belongs.

9. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    Actually, wouldn't the best solution be to include everything you mentioned above (although, not sure about re-inserting the deleted scenes - they definitely need to include them in some way, though) plus the O-OT as part of the extras? That way, everyone would be happy and we would no longer have the senseless bickering between fans.

10. KilroyMcFadden

Oct 31, 2012
    This is a great Idea!
    I would say, also include the holiday special, all the docs, Troops and the best fan films, the most famous fan edits. Just completly go all-inclusive and throw all 35 years of SW history in there.

_Catherine_ likes this.
  11. Rawne

Rawne Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 2, 2008
    Errr, just buy the DVD that does have the extras you want? They can't be that hard to track down, plus should be cheap as chips on eBay or Amazon etc.

Or, y'know, YouTube.

12. Darth_Zandalor

Darth_Zandalor Jedi Master star 4

Aug 2, 2009
    Wasn't the unaltered cut still just a copy of the Laserdisc edition? And what makes them so inferior? They don't have a giant Ronto's ass blocking the shots?

I still have my VHS tapes of the original originals. I need to get a DVD converter for them.

13. rpeugh

rpeugh Force Ghost star 4

Apr 10, 2002
    THe bonus features on the 2004 OT dvd set were pretty dam good though.

THe bonus features of the SW Saga Blue ray set are a BIG disappointment. Complete waste of space. For those that still have the dvds - do not get rid of your dvd bonus discs. I unfortunately sold mine. Im so disappointed with the blue ray bonus features that Im going to try to repurchase the dvds, rip the bonus discs, and burn them to a blank blue ray.

CloneTrooperFox likes this.
  14. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Yah, that "Empire of Dreams" documentary is a fairly definitive word on the production of the OT. I'm not too big on if it's in HD or not, though, but it woulda been nice to be included on the Blu Ray set for compleist sake. I do like how the Blu Ray set gave these old school documentaries but, really, if you wanna know how they made the OT, "Empire of Dreams" is your best bet. Like basically the only way anyone is gonna see it now is if they dig out the 2004 DVDs and what are the chances of that in an HD world?

Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
  15. rpeugh

rpeugh Force Ghost star 4

Apr 10, 2002
    Bonus features in the blue ray format have in general been a very big disappointment. I dont get it. Wasnt the big reason blue ray beat hddvd because blue ray contained much more space than hddvd? Why not utilise that space with tons of behind the scenes features? And Im not even the type of person that needs the entire freakin archive (unlike some other fans). No matter. A blank blue ray contains 6 times more space than a blank dvd. So most of the good stuff on the 3 prequel dvds will fit on one blank blueray. And ofcourse the bonus material from the 2004 OT dvd set will easily fit on a blue ray. I will need more filler material for that.

Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
  16. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    Lol, I have completely the opposite opinion. Being introduced to SW with the SE it was very interesting to see the OOT. Now I hope Disney will give us a high quality version of the OOT.

17. Billy_Dee_Binks

Billy_Dee_Binks Force Ghost star 4

Mar 29, 2002
    While there were some really neat deleted scenes made for the PT DVDs that I could see reinstated into the respective episodes the OT deleted scenes on the Blu-Ray, with the exception of maybe Vader's Force call/ Luke's Lightsaber construction and Vader's hostile behavior towards Jerjerrod, the majority of them were cut for good reason. Even if they'd get audio-visually restored and have their effects finished they'd not exactly improve the films. Most of them just don't seem to work due to acting performances, dialogue, practical effects or pacing.

I say, give us the original rough cuts for the PT, which are said to contain up to an hour or more of unseen material.
    ROTS in particular is said to have been four hours long in its original rough cut. [face_hypnotized]
    The original Obi Wan and Padmé scene in her apartment is one that particularly interests me- as do Palpatine's attempt of making Anakin believe Obi might be having an affair with his wife, the original Chancellor's arrest by the Jedi with Anakin already being present in the office from the start and Palpatine personally thanking Jar Jar before his declaration speech.

18. Zane the Reaper

Zane the Reaper Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 5, 2012
    Wow.

19. EvilQ

EvilQ Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 8, 2013
    Um, baww?
    Troll harder.

20. DarthPancho

DarthPancho Jedi Youngling

Feb 22, 2013
    I believe the OT DVD sets had this:

[​IMG]

Funnily enough, the DVDs you are referring to are now at least twice as expensive as the Blu-ray set. Imagine that.

KilroyMcFadden likes this.
  21. BoromirsFan

BoromirsFan Jedi Master star 4

May 16, 2010
    I really don't think the prequel DVDS would have influenced the OT getting bonus material.

They rereleased the OT as a package, not individually. Hence the bonus disc for 3 moves, not a bonus disc for each.

It also could be that maybe there just isn't a whole lot of compelling material to use as extras? A lot of the best OT stuff is reflecting on AFTER the films were released, not stuff made during the films productions.

22. Jarren_Lee-Saber

Apr 16, 2008
    No, just no! Only deleted scenes & docs! No OOT, no fan edits (I hate fan edits to my core!). Maybe an extra disc of fanfilms, maybe.

Nearly all the deleted scenes that I saw on the Blu-ray were good enough to include IMO

There were a whole bunch of 'rough cuts' on the blu-ray, but unless you actually fix them up, it looks awful!! I would love to see more scenes from the PT though. I heard TPM had a six-hour original cut. That would have been sweet!
    The set that I have were the double box set - one for the PT one for the OT, each set having six discs. (one per film, one extra per film). PT we got cool extras & deleted scenes. OT we got crap to please hateboys, which they are STILL not satisfied with![/quote]

23. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I remember a rumor way back when the TPM DVD was announced the mill was saying crazy stuff like "an entire greenscreen version of the movie!" I would actually watch that, a 4 hr assembly cut with no FX, that would be the strangest thing to see.

BoromirsFan likes this.
  24. KilroyMcFadden

Oct 31, 2012
    You may literally be the only person that is opposed to the release of an OOT as an extra disc that I've ever encountered. Are you George Lucas?

Darth_Pevra and DarthPancho like this.
  25. Jarren_Lee-Saber

Apr 16, 2008
    LOL no, of course not. If I was, not only would the OOT not have been released on DVD, but every single bit of puppetry and stop-motion animation in the OT would have been replaced be realistic looking CGI years ago! I like his opinion on it, but I don't think he has been tough enough.

There are many people who don't like, or more commonly don't care about, the OOT and consider the "SE" to be the actual Star Wars. The reason I am vocally opposed to it is because of the never-ending argument. And the 2004/2008 DVDs that added it just strung it along for a longer time. GL should have just said "No, the SE and all subsequent edits it THE cannon Star Wars. We will not be releasing older cuts EVER again." And boom! The argument would be finished, and the people who desperately cling to it will be classed with those who loooooove the Star Wars Holiday Special.

obi-rob-kenobi4 likes this.