main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation Will EP VII win an Oscar?

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by bluemilkcheesypuffs77, Feb 24, 2013.

1. bluemilkcheesypuffs77

bluemilkcheesypuffs77 Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 5, 2012
    Given all the hype recently (and today is the oscars) about all the great writers that have come on board and now with JJ directing, how possible will it be for EP VII to win an Oscar, other that VFX, sound mixing and all those other categories that are boring to listen to. I'm talking, screenplay, direction, best film, possibly actors??

2. LawJedi

LawJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2009
    I wonder if the Academy's weird Lucas bias is going to fade away with the new management.

3. Darth Xalfrea

Darth Xalfrea Jedi Master star 4

Jan 2, 2013
    Nowadays? Probably not.

If Episode VII doesn't win any Oscars, expect a lot of Grouches.

JainaSoloYJK likes this.
  4. Zuckuss the Ruckuss

Zuckuss the Ruckuss Jedi Master star 4

Jan 5, 2013
    For technical awards, a good possibility. Also, depending on how good Ardnt's screenplay is; outside chance he may get a best adapted screenplay nod.

Best picture, best director? Not a chance in hog hell.

Even if Episode 7 is a very good/great film, its going to get its recognition mainly with technical awards.

Hydro spanner Celt likes this.
  5. Zuckuss the Ruckuss

Jan 5, 2013
    With all that said, who gives a crap about the oscars? Its been a farce for decades...

6. GGrievous

GGrievous Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2005
    Doubt it

7. Darth Xalfrea

Darth Xalfrea Jedi Master star 4

Jan 2, 2013
    :confused:Is there any reason you would quote your own post to reply to yourself? There's an edit button for a reason.

DarthPancho and CloneTrooperFox like this.
  8. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    My sources tell me that they sweep. It wins every single Oscar available. Including Best Foreign Language Film if you believe that. My sources tell me that the entire film is in Huttese.

StoneRiver, eht13, Vohnkar and 6 others like this.
  9. bluemilkcheesypuffs77

Nov 5, 2012
    I wonder if this thread will fade away with the lack of interest people have shown...

TheManFromMortis and LawJedi like this.
  10. Darth Claire

Darth Claire Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2012
    If it wanted to win an oscar *outside of effects* it would need to hire Daniel Day Lewis. Great actor. Has tons of pros and cons. Mostly this
    Pro: We would get an amazing performance and a pretty much guarantee oscar lock
    con: He'd make the entire OT and new cast look awful by comparison *because if you got Mark hamill and carrie fisher in a movie with DDL, who do you honestly think is gunna give the better performance*

That or it'll probably just got for the classic "Best visuals".

11. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    I was thinking about this last night, but when the heck is the academy going to get around to awarding Lucas a lifetime award for all he has done for film making. I personally think his independence from the industry has pissed more than few people off.

Off Topic: Even though Argo was not the best picture, it is no surprise it won. Any movie that portrays the self-serving film industry as influencing world events is going to win no matter the competition.

eDisc likes this.
  12. Luukeskywalker

Luukeskywalker Force Ghost star 5

Jun 23, 1999
    I believe Michael Arnt's screenplay will actually be eligible for Best Original Screenplay, not Adapted. Adapted is if its based on a book or something along those lines. Just because he is writing the screenplay based on Lucas' outline/treatment doesnt really count as a pre-existing work. Every screenplay is written using a treatment/outline as its base.

13. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    Don't care really.
    Oscars are a fancy way of movie industry people patting each other on the shoulder.
    It is no measure of movie quality and should not be taken seriously, for the most part.

Episode Swag likes this.
  14. bluemilkcheesypuffs77

Nov 5, 2012
    Yeah, but if it won an award would the cast wear Jedi robes to accept the award?

15. Darth Claire

Dec 21, 2012
    They better. I demand the cast stay in character....for the rest of their lives

Padme501st and The_Hellhammer like this.
  16. Zane the Reaper

Zane the Reaper Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 5, 2012
    I think we're starting to stretch the limits of reasonable speculation if we're wondering what awards these unwritten movies will earn.

eht13 and PANAKIN_Hightalker like this.
  17. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    I am inclined to agree. Five or six technical noms are a possibility. A screenwriting nom is also an outside possibility, but Best Actor or Best Picture? Hoth will melt before that happens.

18. Darth Claire

Dec 21, 2012
    This reminds me of the sad story of the Nolanites. A fan base soo convinced TDKR would win oscars that in the end it led to their huge disappointment and rage.

klooney likes this.
  19. Zuckuss the Ruckuss

Jan 5, 2013
    No, all sequels are considered adaptable material(since all sequels are based on the original story). Therefore, all sequels are not eligible for best original screen play category.

Toy Story 3, for example, was nominated for best adapted screen play. Godfather part II is another example.

CloneTrooperFox likes this.
  20. Zuckuss the Ruckuss

Jan 5, 2013
    Lucas won the Irvin G Thalberg award back in 91'....just sayin...

klooney and yodasbum like this.
  21. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    Fair enough. I was not aware of that, so I learned something. But whats up with your comment "just sayin"? If you are trying to show me up, at least spell it correctly.

22. Episode Swag

Episode Swag Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 9, 2013
    They will get a few nominations, but maybe 1 award. But just 1.

23. Echo-07

Echo-07 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2012
    There's no chance in Hell Star Wars ever wins a major award for best picture, actor, director or even writer. There's a definite bias against commercial success and SW screams that in spades. Besides, it will be horribly panned no matter how good it is just because of the general hate for George Lucas, even though he isn't directing or producing.

This thread is laughable. LOL [face_laugh]

eDisc likes this.
  24. Placeholder

Placeholder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 30, 2013
    Yes

Or maybe,no

Or, maybe maybe

I've got it narrowed down

Pro Scoundrel likes this.
  25. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    To be perfectly honest, in order for a Star Wars movie to qualify for "Best Picture" award for example, it would probably have to stray so wide off the track of what makes Star Wars what it is...that it would a) no longer be a SW movie, merely something else in that universe, however weird that may sound b) would probably piss of everyone else who actually likes Star Wars the way it is, and not some Oscar material drama.