main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series The Petition to Disney: Save The Clone Wars

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Watto, Feb 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. InterestingLurker

InterestingLurker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2011
    Could you give a link?

2. Watto

Watto Force Ghost star 4

Dec 13, 1998
    http://clubjade.net/?p=47315

3. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011

So they didn't tell people not to ask any questions about season 6. They said they don't have an official announcement.

4. Watto

Watto Force Ghost star 4

Dec 13, 1998
    True enough. They may have asked Q's about potential S6 stories (I haven't seen the Q&A yet) and may have gotten the vague answers about what could happen later. Still doesn't change the fact that we don't know if, when, and, how we will see the episodes released.

5. GunganSlayer

GunganSlayer Jedi Master star 4

Jan 24, 2013
    I feel there's a lot of perpetual rumors being floated about here. I'm not doubting that the show may possibly be in danger, but if we're all going to sit here and talk about rumors, than the very least I would hope for is that links and articles are put up for everyone to read. Seems to me we're getting a lot second- third- hand info from random message boards and off the cuff remarks from individuals.

-Correct me if I'm wrong, but no one knows what sort of contractual agreement was made between Lucasfilm and Turner/CN, right? We don't know the terms of contract between the two parties.
    -Saying that Kennedy and other Disney execs "aren't into the show" without providing semi-concrete evidence is just induced panicking, in my mind. This is DISNEY we're talking about. A show like TCW is one of those rare instances of programming that targets and exceeds with multiple demographics. Media companies try day and night to make successful shows that do that. TCW works well for boys and girls, young adolescents, and adult viewers as well. I seriously doubt Kennedy or "other Disney execs" have seen enough episodes to form a personal opinion on the show, but I'm sure they recognize its potential in bringing in viewers from different demographics.
    -The canceling of AOTC and ROTS 3D is an entirely different matter, and has nothing to do with TCW or its future.
    -In the event that the show is abruptly canceled, I'm sure they'll put out un-aired episodes onto DVD/Blu-Ray. This is Disney we're talking about, perhaps the one studio that has perfected the art of releasing and rereleasing home media products, stretching back to the VHS days.
    -In the event that the show is abruptly canceled, what do you do with Lucasfilm Animation? Shut them down? Spin the company off? Put them to work on some new SW animated show? Lucasfilm Animation Singapore has been growing the past few years. What about the untitled CGI musical about fairies? Announced several years ago, it was still confirmed as being in development as recently as August (before the Disney purchase, but after Kennedy's arrival to Lucasfilm) ----> http://www.bleedingcool.com/2012/11...-pixarian-brenda-chapman-heres-some-evidence/
    -Disney has been trying for sometime to make XD relevant. If legal contracts allow it, I'm sure TCW would be a good asset for their channel.

I'm not saying we shouldn't be worried about the fate of the show, just that we proceed carefully with the news and rumors we discuss, as I'm sensing a lot of doom and gloom. And, lest we forget, TCW is a TV show, and like all TV shows, it must come to an end sooner or later. Preferably, they'll have the opportunity to wrap things up, but as we all know, many TV shows in the past have been abruptly and unfairly canceled before show runners are able to finish telling their stories.

hlc88 and Seerow like this.
  6. Watto

Watto Force Ghost star 4

Dec 13, 1998
    I asked him and he tweeted back, "Sorry, I'm not the person to ask."

Oh well, it was worth a shot.

7. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    It was worth a shot, indeed.

Watto likes this.
  8. Hank Hill

Hank Hill Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 9, 2013
    I really hope Disney does not edit out scenes that they say are too violent to air on XD. If it does air on that channel. That would just suck.

UNLIMITED POWER likes this.
  9. InterestingLurker

InterestingLurker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2011
    Anymore links? Or just plain more information on the season finale?

10. Darth_Harmon

Darth_Harmon Jedi Master star 4

Jul 4, 2005
    I'm guessing they aren't saying anything because until season 5 ends, Clone Wars is a CN show, and a Disney XD (or wherever it's going) announcement would undermine or go against the CN contract. They probably want all press focused on the season finale and not on the show moving.

BlenderWars likes this.
  11. Watto

Watto Force Ghost star 4

Dec 13, 1998
    I've had sort of a realization that the problem with the show is probably cost. What other animated show costs $2 million per episode to make? How are they recouping this cost? They'd have to sell a lot of DVD's, plus the royalties from toys, and CN ad revenue. Look at all the other crap animation on TV, none of it compares to what the Clone Wars is doing. It's all 2D stuff that I'm sure is way cheaper, and a lot of those 2D shows are more popular.

So the bean counters andnew corporate stewards at Disney are probably crapping themselves at the prospect of continuing to invest in this. This is what I fear about Disney's control.

If we really care about how amazingly awesome this show looks every week, I think we'll have to make some noise. As some have said, it's now feature film quality. I considered Disney opting to switch to 2D animation for the show, but you really can't go from what we have now to that.

Darth Ibonek and BlenderWars like this.
  12. BlenderWars

BlenderWars Jedi Padawan star 1

Feb 20, 2013
    Cant they reduce the costs? An easy way would be using same locations again. There are so much great locations which can be used again, if the writers are creative. But thats the problem. The TCW writers are not creative, so the animation guys must do double and tripple effort to entertain us. The cheapest part (writing) is the biggest problem of the show..causing unnecessary costs

13. Watto

Watto Force Ghost star 4

Dec 13, 1998
    We now have another "Star Wars journalist", Bryan Young of BigShinyRobot.com, who is voicing concerns on the fate of the Clone Wars Season 6. He was at the Season 5 finale screening at Lucasfilm on Friday, and although they would not comment on Season 6 officially, someone close to Lucasfilm told him that now is the time for fans to clamor for the show to return, apparently because that is questionable right now.

Here's the quote and link to the full article, he did not give away spoilers, but alluded to how resolved things were at the end of the screening of the episodes. The link has overall impressions on how much he loved the finale also:
    http://www.bigshinyrobot.com/reviews/archives/49160

14. Dark Lord Tarkas

Dark Lord Tarkas Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2011
    This is actually looking like the most solid evidence for the case so far in my opinion. I may very well find myself letter-writing tomorrow. I'll probably post it in here too, I'd like to see others' if they don't mind posting theirs.

Darth Ibonek likes this.
  15. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    If we're going to start writing physical letter then anybody who does it if you can afford it or have one lying around, drop in an action figure from the TCW line (the one that was canceled). We have to make a statement about the shows profitability as well as how much we love it.

fett 4 and 07jonesj like this.
  16. Watto

Watto Force Ghost star 4

Dec 13, 1998
    I sent my letter to Bob Iger on Friday, but I could send another possibly to a different contact. Seerow can you explain your thinking on the action figure packed in?

17. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    That's how I've often heard of physical letter campaigns being done before. It proves not only do people watch the show but they buy merchandise and likely products advertised during the commercial breaks which is where the network actually makes its money.

TCW probably had three things that work against it. Lack of a toy line, expense, and violence.

Darth Ibonek likes this.
  18. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    I wonder if they really will get rid of it. As much as I think it would be a good thing (let's not go there), I just don't see them going there. It's a Star Wars show, with so much exposure, to casuals, hard-core fans and everyone in-between.

V-2 likes this.
  19. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    Then it is time to raise a stink then.

It's also a huge slap in the face as there are major threads and plot holes left open. I mean even if they turned around and said S6 will be the last one, at least it can be wrapped up.

It's also stupid as show is geared towards a younger audience but is enjoyed by the whole family, exactly the kind of audience base that Disney will want for the new episodes and shows long term for the franchise.

20. kryptonjedi

kryptonjedi Jedi Knight

Jan 26, 2013
    Does anyone have a educated guess at how many Season Six episodes are completed and ready to air if need be?

I was also searching the web and found another person's opinion on this matter, which I thought was pretty interesting.
    http://www.starwarsunderworld.com/2...s-is-not-going.html?showComment=1361690051012

I just hope that if Disney decides to cancel the series they at least let Lucas Animation finish up Season 6.

21. Chewgumma

Chewgumma Chosen One star 7

Apr 14, 2009
    That's just the nature of TV production through and through. As I said in another thread Firefly, a show that I am a massive fan of, was cancelled with hundreds of running story lines left open. I was also quite fond of Pushing Daisies, which was cancelled in the middle of its second season. What I'm trying to say is that when you enter the realm of TV production there is always a strong chance you won't be able to finish the story you are telling.

Disney is also gearing up for a brand new movie trilogy starting in 2015, a trilogy set in an era that shares very few prequel era characters or visuals. If it's true and TCW isn't picked up by Disney I would think it very likely that they would get LFA working on a show that:
    1) Is completely Disney's own and doesn't come with a 5 season long back story that potential newcomers will have missed out on.
    2) Somehow ties in to the ST so as to hype up fans and get kids wanting to see the new films.

V-2 likes this.
  22. Watto

Watto Force Ghost star 4

Dec 13, 1998
    But is it advisable to have no Star Wars entertainment on the market while they try to hurry up and produce this ST-era animated show? Its mind-boggling that they would just sit on already produced the Clone Wars episodes which people are actually anticipating, and then replace it with nothing, since nothing is ready to show.

23. Chewgumma

Apr 14, 2009
    I'm surprised people have forgotten about "detours" already. I know it didn't look that good but still... :p

24. Watto

Watto Force Ghost star 4

Dec 13, 1998
    Yeah, some people are scratching their heads on that one though too... since nothing has been heard lately, some folks are thinking Disney may decide not to air Detours either. Another example of throwing away something that has been made.

Granted, i'm not up in arms about "Detours" getting canned...;)

Chewgumma likes this.
  25. Chewgumma

Apr 14, 2009
    Well I wasn't suggesting" Detours" would get canned so much as Disney could use the already produced episodes to keep Star Wars within the public eye while a ST cartoon enters production.

Though I'm cool with it being dropped. Whatever Disney does with that project I couldn't care less. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.